Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 10:31 AM

955 posts, read 1,820,780 times

Advertisements

That immediate area is no longer the hotbed of gang activity that it once was. They are still a nuisance, but much of their membership and their activities have moved west of there.

A couple of months ago I was sitting on a picnic bench at Tastee-Freeze(near Armitage & California), when a white lesbian couple came strolling by. They were hand-in-hand as they headed west on Armitage right towards Mozart. They were blissful and carefree as they walked into what was a beatdown and kill zone just about 15 years ago. It made me feel good to see that.

If you have enough street moxy to manuever the bad spots in Uptown, then you should be fine at A&M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 11:32 AM

3,381 posts, read 3,308,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mental View Post
There is also an place I've found near Oak Park, but I don't know if it's near the bad Austin side or the good Oak Park side. The neighborhood is Elmwood Park or River Forest. The intersection is North and Harlem.

I need to ask about these things, because I need a live/work space, but don't have the money for a big place in a familiar area, so I need help to know what other areas are livable and safe. I can deal with some illegal activity just not violence, or the possability my home will be robbed or vandalized. No place is 100% safe, but you know what I mean. I really need frank knowledge. If this isn't Logan Square or is a place where I and my roommates won't be safe I need to know, but to some people anything less than the Gold Coast is unsafe. I'm not one of those people; I live on disability, so I can't afford to be, but I can't live somewhere I'll be a victim of violence on a regular basis either. If it's truely unlivable, please, tell me why.

Thanks
The area you're talking about is obviously within the Galewood neighborhood of Chicago, which is still a stable neighborhood(it also ironically happens to be the neighborhood where Pat Quinn grew up in, and still lives). I think that'll be a very decent area for you to live in, and you're also near the safest portion of Oak Park as well(the northwest side of that town). There also are a few places one can eat at(i.e. Amarind's Thai, Amato's Pizzeria) that are still around, and even a Starbucks(and surprisingly a drive-thru one). I've walked through that area before myself(and did as recently as 2-3 months ago), and it's still a very nice neighborhood. (Rutherford-Sayre Park is especially nice)

You could always check the website Everyblock to check on crime in Galewood, plus any other neighborhood of Chicago.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:10 PM

51 posts, read 107,029 times
Thanks for all of your frankness. I'm not sure if I'm super street smart, but I will accept a certain level of seedyness as long as it's not dangerous to me or my friends. The place I saw in that area I think was misrepresented. I don't do well with the neighborhood crime pages. They are a bunch of statistics, and I'm not sure how to read them or what to compare them too. (like what percentage of muggings is an acceptable percent?) It's easier to hear other people who know the city well tell me their opinions. Usually there is a concensus, or something in the lack of one. I'd like to ask about another area, but I fear it isn't what I want it to be, but I should ask anyway.

I don't know the neighborhood, but the intersection is Kensington and Michigan
or Michigan and 115 St.

Also, apart from the reader and Craiglist (and rental signs) are there any other places to look that may have different properties; Especially that might have cheap houses for rent? Also, what is the deal with all these rent to own places? I saw one that claimed you could get out if you chose not to buy. Are these ALL scams, and if so what is the scam exactly?

Thanks for your help

Old 11-09-2010, 04:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
You really, really don't want to live at 115th and Michigan. That's about as bad as it gets for urban conditions in the U.S.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:09 PM

Yeah that's what I figured. I heard Pullman is OK, but that it's surrounded by bad areas; is that right?

Are there areas that are safe, not necessarily fashionable, where I could find cheaper than average housing rentals? The only other things I need are a supermarket and either a bus, train, or metra into downtown, or other primary Chicago neighborhoods. It could be a near suburb too, as long as you don't need a car to live there, and it's got a metra.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
Quote:
Yeah that's what I figured. I heard Pullman is OK, but that it's surrounded by bad areas; is that right?

Are there areas that are safe, not necessarily fashionable, where I could find cheaper than average housing rentals? The only other things I need are a supermarket and either a bus, train, or metra into downtown, or other primary Chicago neighborhoods. It could be a near suburb too, as long as you don't need a car to live there, and it's got a metra.
The Historic district in Pullman is a very small island in a rather stormy urban sea.

If I were in your situation, I would look into neighborhoods along the Orange Line. Some of them are iffy and and probably getting worse, but for the time being none of them are unlivable to the point where I would be leery about renting there for a couple years. IMO McKinley Park is a decent little neighborhood if you just want convenient access to downtown from a quiet, (relatively) low-crime place to rest your head at night. The area around the Pulaski and Midway stops are pretty decent too.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:42 PM

20 posts, read 17,657 times
Quote:

Pullman is a bad area to begin with. Areas around it that are shady are just icing on the cake.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:50 AM

537 posts, read 1,029,009 times
Quote:

What is your budget? The blue line stop at Belmont in Avondale is much safer than your other locations, if you head out further to Jeff park there is a blue line and metra at the same location. I'd imagine a one bedroom can be had for around $800 in those locations.

Last edited by tomcho; 11-10-2010 at 01:13 AM..

Old 11-10-2010, 09:57 PM

OK, so Jefferson Park is a good location. I'll keep that in mind as I look. I've heard portage is good too. I don't know anything about either neighborhood except that they are Northwest (unless I'm confusing Jefferson with another area. I would be OK if I found the right place in Avondale/Albany, but much of the neighborhood is far from grocery stores, so it's hard to live in without a car. However, I would find a way to make it work if I found the right place there.

I need a live work space, so I need more room than just a normal apartment. My budget is $900 at most. I know that isn't much, but there are occasional places. I had recently found a house for rent that was big enough in Bridgeport (not the most accessible place to transport, but it worked). Unfortunately, the guy did all this stuff to screw us over, then gave the place to someone else at the last minute. I really do need the work space, so my only real requirements for a neighborhood is that it be safe, have a supermarket, and at least minimal public transport (I don't have a car). I'm also open to a lot of different types of spaces; storefronts with a back apartment, rental houses, converted industrial spaces, large apartments. The only space I don't want is a basement space because of my allergies; a place with a basement is great, I just can't live in the basement part.

I've been looking a long time, but I really need this, so I press on. (I had found some other places early on but they had already been rented before I got there). The main help I need from this forum is to help me double check the safety of an area. I only know so much of Chicago. Of course, if someone thought they knew of a place that would work for me (I'm not sure if we can private message each other) I would welcome the help. I do need a place with at least 2 bedrooms.

More urgent query:

There's a place I'm going to look at this weekend, and I'm not sure about the neighborhood. My roommate looked around the area, and was put off by the poverty. What do you guys think of:

Trumbull and Chicago Ave.

It's near Chicago and Homan Ave.

Is it just too unsafe? It's been a while since I was this deep in Humboldt.

Thanks

Last edited by Mental; 11-10-2010 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 11-10-2010, 10:01 PM

14 posts, read 9,824 times
Quote:
Trumbull and Chicago Ave.

It's near Chicago and Homan Ave.

Is it just too unsafe? It's been a while since I was this deep in Humboldt.
Forget it.

I am really curious, what area did you grow up in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago