Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 07:14 AM

37 posts, read 186,651 times

Advertisements

Hey There,

I presently live in Seattle, but am seeking new horizons? Would the city of "large shoulders" be a good candidate?

I've heard great things about Chicago, but nasty things about the weather, specifically the winters there. Having grown-up in Hawaii, and now living in Seattle, would a mid-west winter be too brutal?

Otherwise, what's the cost of living like? The culture and arts scene? How about the local, indie music scene?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Muito abrigado!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 08:40 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Winters can be brutal, especially to someone from Hawaii and Seattle. However, there is less rain here and more sunshine, and summers are rather nice, with really humid spells here and there. One thing is for sure: youll NEVER get tired of the weather here, it changes constantly. To some thats a plus, to others its annoying. Expect winter to last from November until March, then a gradual warmup begins. Spring is short, summers are rather decent IMO, lasting from mid-April until late September. Some days can be 90 and humid, other days 75-80 and perfect.

As for Chicago itself, compared to Seattle and Hawaii, youll be in for a cultural treat. You can find anything here from German to Polish to Chinese to Ethiopian to Somali, etc, etc, etc, etc. Downtown is the best, behind NYC, that youll find in the states, and the arts scene is phenomonal.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:40 PM

37 posts, read 186,651 times
Default I like it more and more.

Hey there Steve-o, thanks for the info!

Man, the cultural expanse sounds wunnerful! Lord knows I'm only into it for the vast array of food and cuisines that would be available. Yes, I'm glutton!

The winter fear has the potential of becoming a "sports challenge" for me--can I handle it or not? Probably not, judging by the reputation of midwest winters. But it would be a gas to try.

I've checked Craigslist for housing costs. It's generally lower than Seattle. I'm shocked!

Is there a state tax? What's the indie music like?

Much mahalos!

Old 07-09-2007, 11:35 PM

549 posts, read 1,558,782 times
The culture and arts scene, and the local music scene, is terrific here. Go to chicagoreader.com, our alternative weekly, and you'll see what I mean. The cost of living isn't bad either, especially compared to the west coast cities, such as Seattle.

The biggest problem, as you point out, is the winters. But they're survivable - you just buy a lot of heavy clothing. It's annoying, but people go right through them, with the jazz and blues clubs still playing just as much as before.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:10 AM

Yes, as synapse pointed out, you just dress for it and go out anyways. Unlike other cities in this great nation of ours, Chicago is not hampered by cold and snow. We grin and bear it and trudge to work through sub-zero temps and 2' of snow. Its what makes this place so great, NOTHING slows Chicago down.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:13 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times
Culture, arts, music scene are all very good. That will not be a concern for you.

Cost of living is in fact cheaper than Seattle and Hawaii. That won't be an issue for you either.

Weather. I will disagree with Steve here. Summer does not start in mid-April. Summer starts in June. And to some, it feels like a nice warm Spring in a warmer climate. Weather is "nice" June-Sept. Nice definition is low 70's to low 90's depending on the day. Some sunny days, some mixed days and some days of T-storms. Fall is cool and crisp, many like the falls and change of season, but they are cool and crisp. Not too bad. Winters are brutal and Spring is brutal. Temps vary, but getting to or below zero happens, teens, 20's regularly....bitter cold, which goes til March....March and April disappoint the most because those should be nice Spring like months, but are often times cloudy, cold, etc...40's, not uncommon. May is very spotty depending on the year. Good and bad days.

You were able to adjust to Seattle from Hawaii, ...you would need one more adjustment from a cold and windy standpoint.

From where you have been and your interests, everything would be great for you but the weather. It bothers some more than others. Some people do in fact tire of the weather and move away. Some are bothered by it less and some are bothered by it but stay anyway, or have to...etc....

The downtown skyline is very big and very nice. And there are many character, unique city neighborhoods in Chicago. It will be much bigger than Seattle, and spread out. You will get some water, but not nearly what you are used to...

Try and visit in the summer and visit in Feb and see if the differences bother you regarding weather.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:34 AM

Nah, April and May are not bad and cloudy all the time. Expect 50-60% sunshine, which is average for most of the USA. Temps do vary, but April and May are not winter, more spring/summer. Temps can be 40 one day, 80 the next, but the majority of the month is quite comfortable. I know, my birthday is in April, and every year its 70-80 degrees, never fails. May is perfect, 50-80 also. June is when it starts to get hot and humid at times, you dont really get that in April or May. Summer sunshine % is 65%, quite nice.

Ive posted temps in Chicago from April and May, and most were in the 60s, 70s, and quite a few days in the 80s. Ill have to dig those up again as proof. But if anyone comes to Chicago thinking April and May are consistantly warm, theyre in for a surprise. Its a rollercoaster no doubt. But most of the days are very pleasant.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:11 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Nah, April and May are not bad and cloudy all the time. Expect 50-60% sunshine, which is average for most of the USA. Temps do vary, but April and May are not winter, more spring/summer. Temps can be 40 one day, 80 the next, but the majority of the month is quite comfortable. I know, my birthday is in April, and every year its 70-80 degrees, never fails. May is perfect, 50-80 also. June is when it starts to get hot and humid at times, you dont really get that in April or May. Summer sunshine % is 65%, quite nice.

Ive posted temps in Chicago from April and May, and most were in the 60s, 70s, and quite a few days in the 80s. Ill have to dig those up again as proof. But if anyone comes to Chicago thinking April and May are consistantly warm, theyre in for a surprise. Its a rollercoaster no doubt. But most of the days are very pleasant.
just a post before you said April was summer....and it's not. Some wouldn't even call it Spring based on their previous experiences.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:22 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times
Ya, I agree with some of what I have seen here in this thread to an extent. Areas near the lake and to the north of the city have people often asking themselves \"when the heck is winter going to end?\" even into May, but areas far inland or in the far south-west burbs have a better tendency to luck out weather wise by being far enough inland to see temps start rising into the 70s as early as April 1. I frequently travel all over the city of Chicago and can leave my house in a t-shirt and have it be 75 degrees outside and get in my car and actually watch the electronic thermometer drop the closer I get to the lake during March, April and May! This past first week of April, I had to go visit someone downtown and left my house in shorts and a t-shirt and the temps were around 80. Luckily I was smart enough to bring a change of clothes with me having experienced how much the lake can affect the weather, and when I got downtown it was 58! BRRRRR. So all that being said it really depends on where you are when people say Chicago\'s spring doesn\'t start until May. Downtown, Skokie, Gurnee areas; very true. Areas south of Monee, or west of Joliet, expect spring in about late March-April 1 and to be mowing your lawn by tax day for sure.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:44 PM

Very good point. The suburbs can be significantly warmer than the city, sometimes over 10 degrees. Some of the confusion may be stemming from that very fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago