Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 09:42 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
Exactly my point earlier. Claypool was endorsed by the Tribune, Sun Times, and The Herald. He has perhaps the most direct impact of my pocket as a home owner in Chicago. How does he get trounced?...
Claypool has no Black appeal. Many held a grudge against him for running against John Stroger. And suburbanites are not familiar with him enough. He needed to campaign in the burbs and make himself known.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:05 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
The building I work in had a 3.5 million dollar reduction and donated $129,000...I'm shocked.
I wish I could get that return on any investment.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:05 PM

955 posts, read 1,831,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I don't think she is all that and a case of beer or something, but she is not ugly.
I see beauty where others see mediocrity. Besides I've always had a weak spot for Latinas.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:51 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
I see beauty where others see mediocrity. Besides I've always had a weak spot for Latinas.
She looks too much like her father. Ick. No thanks.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:05 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Just because people don't vote in a manner or fashion to your liking doesn't make them uneducated.
I think it is a fair generalization to say that the people in states that are welfare states (ie, more fed money comes in than they pay out in taxes) falling for politicians toeing the "we need a smaller government, to balance the budget, and to roll back the tax increases" are rubes to be kind, and hypocrites to be more accurate.

The Tax Foundation - Federal Spending Received Per Dollar of Taxes Paid by State, 2005

Notice where big old welfare state Illinois is on that list, as opposed to that hardscrabble, pluckish pioneer state of Kentucky.

If welfare-recipient states want a smaller federal government, I'd suggest they simply start returning all those federal dollars they didn't contribute.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Exactly my point earlier. Claypool was endorsed by the Tribune, Sun Times, and The Herald. He has perhaps the most direct impact of my pocket as a home owner in Chicago. How does he get trounced?

The assessment reduction to campaign donation to Berrios map is disturbing. The building I work in had a 3.5 million dollar reduction and donated $129,000...I'm shocked.
Claypool comes off as another Daley yes-man in a lot of areas.

He doesn't connect with the working poor, and he has no idea how to run a campaign.

I did some flyering for him last time around, and the dummy's organization was blanketing a rock-solid Polish neighborhood with flyers both 1/2 english/spanish, but then also with ones all in spanish.

If he can't even read basic demographic maps for the areas he wants to be in charge of assessing, I'm not sure he's all that smart.

I voted for him anyway, because Berrios is a straight-up grey wolf to the extent his 19th century counterparts would be envious of.

Do you have a link to the map you spoke of?

But to be fair, the City's tax levy is probably more responsible for your tax bill than the crooked way it's parceled out. Daley bloated the hell out of it the past 20 years - them flowers don't plant themselves, y'know.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:24 AM

537 posts, read 1,034,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Claypool comes off as another Daley yes-man in a lot of areas.

He doesn't connect with the working poor, and he has no idea how to run a campaign.

I did some flyering for him last time around, and the dummy's organization was blanketing a rock-solid Polish neighborhood with flyers both 1/2 english/spanish, but then also with ones all in spanish.

If he can't even read basic demographic maps for the areas he wants to be in charge of assessing, I'm not sure he's all that smart.

I voted for him anyway, because Berrios is a straight-up grey wolf to the extent his 19th century counterparts would be envious of.

Do you have a link to the map you spoke of?

But to be fair, the City's tax levy is probably more responsible for your tax bill than the crooked way it's parceled out. Daley bloated the hell out of it the past 20 years - them flowers don't plant themselves, y'know.
I agree with you for sure, I was mostly being facetious. Name regonition is numero uno in getting elected. Issues and positions are a distant second. Besides the extreme nutjobs(see Christine O'Donnell) anyone can get elected with a well run campaign. Perhaps I should add in certain parts of the country party afiliation is numero uno, and this applies to both parties. (Hence my opposition to straight party voting, at least attempt to have voters put critical thought into their choices)

Here is the Berrios map
Forrest Claypool: Cook Co Assessment Reductions Map

And I happen to love the flowers and trees in the medium. Every time I ride down Irving Park Rd, I smile and say now there are my tax dollars at work. I went north on Lincoln for the first time in awhile this past weekend, I'm assuming they are doing the same thing there.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:30 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
Apparently it's only 25 ft in Missouri. They were like all up in your grill handing out pieces of paper tellling me how to vote straight ticket. What am I, a moron? Can I not see the little Ds behind their name?

Old 11-03-2010, 11:14 AM

9 posts, read 18,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
At my polling place a great many ballots were being challenged including my wife's. I figure this is the Republicans trying to slow things down; usually the less people that vote the better for them.
Election Judge Arrested at Polling Place | NBC Chicago

"Chicago authorities arrested an election judge Tuesday evening for allegedly repeatedly denying provisional ballots from voters."

The article doesn't state it, but last night I heard on the news that the judge was targeting Democratic voters. You might have a point there.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Here is the Berrios map
Forrest Claypool: Cook Co Assessment Reductions Map
And I happen to love the flowers and trees in the medium.
thanks for the map, painfully revealing.

and I'm 100% down with more trees - you plant the tree, it's all done. Annual plantings (as opposed to perennials) are a different story, way too much labor is required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago