Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 11:14 AM

896 posts, read 1,399,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
The bars just happen to be nicer on the north side. What is yuppie food?
Nicer= a.k.a snobby, yuppie people in clicks drinking looking down on you if you are not dressed or fit in with them and with nicer decor depending on the bar

Also, I meant to say people eating at yuppie restaurants like stuff you would see on 190 north or Chicago's best. Btw, yuppie food would be like a steak or something "just a touch of goat cheese" or some type of soup with "just a bit of creme boulee sauce" or just a place as simple as Stax charging 8 dollars for nothing pancakes 4 bucks for a slice of pizza, or just people on the patio with a simple bar/burger joint on the patio thinking they are better than you.

Sorry I know I am not the only one who feels this way! But I will stop hijacking the thread with my personal feelings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 12:48 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
Sorry I know I am not the only one who feels this way! But I will stop hijacking the thread with my personal feelings
Don't worry about it. You are right. There are plenty of other people who feel the same way. You kick ass for actually coming out and saying it on this forum, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
What is yuppie food?
Food that yuppies eat. You know, at "nice" restaurants.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:17 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,025 times
A steak is now only a yuppie food? Wow. Eating one magically makes me a yuppie? I guess I have to quit steak.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
A steak is now only a yuppie food? Wow. Eating one magically makes me a yuppie? I guess I have to quit steak.

Steph never said that steak was yuppie. She said steak with "just a touch of goat cheese" was yuppie. Read her comment again, a little bit more slowly this time.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Steph never said that steak was yuppie. She said steak with "just a touch of goat cheese" was yuppie. Read her comment again, a little bit more slowly this time.

It seemed pretty clear to me the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
Btw, yuppie food would be like a steak or something "just a touch of goat cheese" or some type of soup with "just a bit of creme boulee sauce" or just a place as simple as Stax charging 8 dollars for nothing pancakes 4 bucks for a slice of pizza, or just people on the patio with a simple bar/burger joint on the patio thinking they are better than you.

Last edited by tonythetuna; 11-20-2010 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: Spelling error

Old 11-20-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
It seemed preety clear to me the first time.
Eating steak doesn't make you yuppie. But you're prabobly a yuppie for getting this defensive about a comment regarding steak with a touch of goat cheese. Or eating overpriced catfish with a touch of apple cinnamon. No, eating catfish doesn't make you a yuppie either.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:37 PM

No yuppie on this end pal. The poster said "steak or something "just a touch of goat cheese"."

It never ceases to amaze me the people that think food that they cannot afford or that does not whet their palate as yuppie food.

Goat cheese is a staple in many European countries. Heck even people in Africa eat it.

The comment to me was plenty ignorant. The person has a right to believe as they wish but that does not make their comment any less childish.

If I have a hot date I am bringing the woman out for steak not McDonald's.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
No yuppie on this end pal. The poster said "steak or something "just a touch of goat cheese"."

It never ceases to amaze me the people that think food that they cannot afford or that does not whet their palete as yuppie food.

Goat cheese is a staple in many European countries. Heck even people in Africa eat it.

The comment to me was plenty ignorant. The person has a right to believe as they wish but that does not make their comment any less childish.

If I have a hot date I am bringing the woman out for steak not McDonald's.
Being a yuppie has more to do with your day-to-day week-to-week lifestyle. Having eaten at an expesnive restauarant before doesn't make you a yuppie. And just for the record, there is in fact a middle ground between "yuppie" and "McDonalds".

Old 11-20-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
And just for the record, there is in fact a middle ground between "yuppie" and "McDonalds".
Like?

Old 11-20-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Like?
Old Country Buffet.

Even gyros joints, Harold's Chicken Shacks and pizza-by-the-slice places are more upscale than McDonalds. There are delicious Mexican restaurants where you can get a good meal for less than five dollars. These types of restaurants are harder to find in upscale neighborhoods, even if Burger King is readily available.

Last edited by urza216; 11-20-2010 at 04:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago