Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 04:25 PM

4 posts, read 5,569 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving to Chicago in a little over a month from San Francisco. I've been doing my due diligence with heavy research about the city, economy, social experiences, and policies. I want to settle in a place which is diverse as my home back in New York City, but less snobby as SF. Could Chicago natives tell me about the economy, society, housing, and what ever is relevant about the city I should know? A little about me: I am in my 30's, black, have no kids/wife etc., I hold a masters degree, and have savings to outlast a yearlong bout of unemployment if necessary. How is finding work in professional fields? It seems rent is hella cheaper than SF for comparable apartments, is this true? I hear it gets crazy 'round there some places, but I think NYC is way more dangerous, am I right about this? Whats race relations like, do folks get along, or just barely get along to keep the peace? Aiight yawl, hit me with some good info. :-D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 05:10 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Well...

There are some threads on the hassle that professional African Americans in Chicago have to deal with.

Chicago is pretty strangely divided by both race and economic issues. If you want to live in the handful of well integrated and diverse parts of the region you will pay for the privilege of lving in Hyde Park, Oak Parl or

Ther are a handful of well off familes in other parts of the region but for a single person the social aspects are pretty bleak. Even in what ought to be fairly diverse areas, near the medical centers or downtown college / university campises, segregation is something that no one "enforces" as landlords, night spots, gathering places are open to all, but there just are not many Africsn Americans that take advantage of the offerings...

Old 11-07-2010, 06:08 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,254,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lickylicky View Post
Rogers Park and Albany Park are pretty diverse racially.
Albany Park is racially diverse, but there are almost no AAs. The only blacks here are Nigerians and Kenyans. And It's not exactly a culturally stimulating place. There aren't many professionals here, either.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I see blacks around Kimball and Lawrence (not just teenagers go to and from high school either) all the time.
Seeing as how Kimball and Lawrence is by far the shadiest part of the neighborhood, I'd wager a guess that they're loitering about for 'business purposes'. I think the brown line makes for simple entry and egress.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:18 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,900 times
Quote:
I see blacks around Kimball and Lawrence (not just teenagers go to and from high school either) all the time.
That might be professionals waiting for the L who are at North Park or NEIU going to school.

African American professionals do face a challenge in Chicago. There are some very wealthy and professional neighborhoods like Bronzeville, but they lack the nightlife and restaurant options of the North Side.

The North Side neighborhoods like Lakeview, Lincoln Park, and downtown are overwhelmingly white professionals. Add in Wicker Park and Bucktown on the NW side, with a smattering of Hispanics.

A Chicago Tribune report a few years back highlighted the issue when it was able to predict with reasonable accuracy where a single African American professional would live vs. a white professional.

The only truly integrated neighborhoods where I have seen young professionals are Hyde Park (which is difficult to commute downtown) and Oak Park (near west suburb).

I have seen African American young professionals downtown in River North, but very underrepresented compared to the population in the city.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I see a lot around Montrose and Kedzie from time to time as well.
Yeah, I know that bunch too. They're usually hanging out in front of the liquor store as I turn the corner to get some Mexican from the taqueria.

I'd assume that this particular corner didn't get a blue light camera for no reason at all.

And while we're at it, I've also seen some young black dude hanging out in front of the liquor store on Kimball and Montrose too.

All I'm saying is that if you walk the residential streets of Albany Park, you're more inclined to find an overwhelming amount of Mexicans. I sometimes wonder if the proprietors of the middle eastern restaurants even live in the neighborhood.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:59 PM

17 posts, read 25,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awblu View Post
I am planning on moving to Chicago in a little over a month from San Francisco. I've been doing my due diligence with heavy research about the city, economy, social experiences, and policies. I want to settle in a place which is diverse as my home back in New York City, but less snobby as SF. Could Chicago natives tell me about the economy, society, housing, and what ever is relevant about the city I should know? A little about me: I am in my 30's, black, have no kids/wife etc., I hold a masters degree, and have savings to outlast a yearlong bout of unemployment if necessary. How is finding work in professional fields? It seems rent is hella cheaper than SF for comparable apartments, is this true? I hear it gets crazy 'round there some places, but I think NYC is way more dangerous, am I right about this? Whats race relations like, do folks get along, or just barely get along to keep the peace? Aiight yawl, hit me with some good info. :-D
Hope the move planning is going well?

My wife and I are moving to Chicago from San Francisco next week all being well

Old 11-12-2010, 08:34 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,212,438 times
Chicago definitely has a different vibe than NYC or San Francisco. Politically it's more in line with NYC than San Francisco. Chicago is not too snobby, but it does have a yuppie, white-collar feel closer in towards the city core. It's also a bit more vanilla in terms of the people you will encounter. You will find that more people are conformists in Chicago.

Chicago is segregated, but probably not much more so than NYC. Although, the layout of NYC is more set up to bring different types of people together (i.e. Manhattan is the central piece around the other boroughs). Most of the upscale professional areas in Chicago are downtown and on the north side, and are very white. You would not have problems there but you might not like the vibe. Most blacks live on the south and west sides in areas that are not so great.

If you want a diverse neighborhood you might want to look at the far north side. Edgewater is probably one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the country - you will get a mix of about everything there.

Chicago is actually more dangerous than NYC, but the bad areas are pretty easy to avoid here.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:32 AM

29 posts, read 47,180 times
Bronzeville has some great geographic factors in its favor. The lake, US Cellular field, and IIT are right there. There are numerous transportation links: Green line, Red line, new Metra station coming, 90/94 easy access, and LSD easy access. The loop is not far away. From a safety stand point the Chicago Police HQ is right down the street on 35th and Michigan. People in the area are generally very nice and welcoming. Happy searching!

Old 11-16-2010, 11:34 PM

3 posts, read 4,126 times
South & West Loop, University Village may work for you. Not to rain on the Bronzeville parade but this is still an "up and coming" area that has been in gentrification FOREVER. I'll admit that the area near 35th is coming along as the prior poster mentioned. However, I know a TON of transplants who bought over there during the boom in hopes of change coming to the hood only to be forced out by the foolishness that takes place over there. The "shoot em up bang bang" was just too much. I was actually looking to buy just east of this neighborhood in Kenwood and had to walk away from a deal. Of course all of this is relative...I have NO tolerance for this mess but thats just me. Once again, it depends on the vibe you're going for. At the end of the day there are spotty areas all over the city. I'm a north-side YBP. even Lakeview has had its own blips on the radar lately. AWBLU welcome to the Chi! Feel free to hit me up with specifics. It's always exciting to maneuver in a new city :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago