Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 07:15 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,391,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Having an MBA early on helps set you on a different career track, particularly from a top one such as Northwestern or University of Chicago.

I have a cousin whose parents are working class (mom is teacher and dad is a bricklayer). She got 1540 on SAT and was admitted to Harvard yet could not afford to go.
Yeah... Well she could have probably afforded to go, but it is a big risk if you do not have a safety net... I am in a program at NW right now and if I do not get some extra funding or some income on the side I am going to have to drop it for now and wait until I have an employer or something to foot the bill. Graduate, or any degree is not a sure investment any more. I am more worried about getting a job right now and did not expect to go so long w/o any income to supplement my loans. I think I am smart enough to not take out private loans so, that is just not an option for me, too high of a risk/reward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 01:21 PM

55 posts, read 161,361 times
Ok, so why do you say that you are aren't smart enough to get into Kellogg or Booth? If you are planning to apply to the part time Kellogg program (great marketing school btw No1 in the country), the acceptance rate is 46.4%!!! (Source: 2011 US News and World Report.) Guess what, Booth doesnt even list their part time acceptance rate and guess what that means IT'S LOUSY! They admit A TON of people and don't want to admit it! (They acutally didn't publish their full time results for years because they sucked too, but I see that they owned up this year to the 24.8% acceptance rate.) So, don't sell yourself short because Kellogg and Booth will open up INFINITELY more doors than DePaul.

Also, remember the MBA application process is a bit of a game. What will differentiate you from other applicants: where did you volunteer AND what difference did you make there, are you a woman (also helps), are you another investment banker or consultant...they see a ton of those apps. BTW, no one holds a gun to your head and says that you have to do what you write in your applications. So, write what you are passionate about and try to make it different than everyone else!

Good luck!

Old 11-10-2010, 05:37 PM

890 posts, read 1,643,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickygal View Post
Ok, so why do you say that you are aren't smart enough to get into Kellogg or Booth? If you are planning to apply to the part time Kellogg program (great marketing school btw No1 in the country), the acceptance rate is 46.4%!!! (Source: 2011 US News and World Report.) Guess what, Booth doesnt even list their part time acceptance rate and guess what that means IT'S LOUSY! They admit A TON of people and don't want to admit it! (They acutally didn't publish their full time results for years because they sucked too, but I see that they owned up this year to the 24.8% acceptance rate.) So, don't sell yourself short because Kellogg and Booth will open up INFINITELY more doors than DePaul.

Also, remember the MBA application process is a bit of a game. What will differentiate you from other applicants: where did you volunteer AND what difference did you make there, are you a woman (also helps), are you another investment banker or consultant...they see a ton of those apps. BTW, no one holds a gun to your head and says that you have to do what you write in your applications. So, write what you are passionate about and try to make it different than everyone else!

Good luck!
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm just really concerned about my GMAT scores, I dont think I'll perform that well. I struggled to get a 1000 on my SAT. I know they are two different tests. Also My GPA is under 3.0...if all went well during my college years I would've gotten around a 3.5. I'm females and I work in the financial services industry. I definitely am looking into volunteer work. I know that can make a difference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: