Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 07:15 AM

1 posts, read 41,818 times

Advertisements

We just signed a lease on an apartment there and have a 10 mo old child. Don't know the area too well. After driving around and doing some research it seems the area and bordering neighborhoods are lovely, but one part (think it was around Montrose) seemed rather sketchy. I'm hoping for some opinions...can we rest assured that we'll be safe there? Any advice on which parts to avoid while walking the baby?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by linicx; 09-13-2009 at 05:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 09:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Take your walks east of Broadway and south of Montrose. That's where all the nice houses and architectural scenery is anyway. It certainly gets dicey real quick at Montrose northward. The Broadway corridor from about Montrose to about Argyle has long been problematic. That corridor is gentrifying very rapidly, especially near the Lawrence/Broadway intersection, but there's still a lot of shady folks skulking around there.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:06 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,664 times
I lived right where you did for about 2 years (as a 22 year old female) and I felt safe, walking around during the day and at night, but I also stayed South of Montrose. I would completely agree with that!

Old 07-15-2007, 10:06 PM

8 posts, read 55,982 times
Default Helpful website

check out chicagocrime.org: Chicago crime database you can do very defined crime searches. It will tell you every police report filed for a specific address if you want to get that detailed. i used the website in my home search. Good luck!

Old 09-05-2008, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 41,324 times
I lived in that area for two years and still own property near Clarendon & Montrose in Buena Park. Your best bet is to stay south of Montrose in the Buena Park neighborhood. There is nothing north of there you can't get in Lakeview anyway. If I took the CTA, I felt safe walking to and from the Wilson Red Line stop during daylight hours, but after hours I played it safe and walked an extra few blocks from the Sheridan stop. I know a few CPD officers that know the area and most of the sketchy people come from Sec 8 housing and state run mental hospitals up near Wilson, but that stays pretty local to that area and doesn't spill over into Buena Park. Its a very historical and pretty neighborhood in the city. Plus, its more affordable than Lakeview!

[url=http://www.buenaparkneighbors.org]Buena Park Neighbors[/url] has some information on the neighborhood.

Brian

Old 09-07-2008, 11:18 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
I live right at Buena and Sheridan. I have a friend on Buena and Kenmore, which I'm thinking is right near where you are going to be living.

I've only been here 4 months, but I've discovered the areas south of Montrose are beautiful and kinda surprising based on what I'd heard people say about everything north of Irving. The only area south of Montrose that seemed a little sketchy (but not that bad) are Broadway just north of Irving, but it's really just one corner. By the Uhaul and all the section 8 housing over off Cuyler.

Anyway, that's not near you really. I don't wander up Broadway north of Montrose, just to the Jewel and then everything south. I wouldn't worry.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:54 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Uh, this thread is over a year old and the OP never came back. I think we can put the lid on this one.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:06 PM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,288,974 times
uh, there are still people who read this thread and are interested other than the op

Old 10-15-2008, 10:09 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
Uhhh there are like 587 other threads on Uptown and Buena Park here... I do not think there is much new info to pass on for those areas...

Old 09-10-2009, 03:49 PM

9 posts, read 85,896 times
Default North Wrigleyville Apartment Reviews? (N.Sheridan at W Cuyler)

Hi All,

I am planning on moving into an apartment at N. Sheridan Rd at W. Cuyler Ave. just east of graceland cemetery. Since I am a single 25 year old female, I was wondering if that area is safe. I don't really plan on walking out at night. But is the area good in general. Would walking back from the metra station at 7-9 at night be a problem?

I understand that the area in general is pretty good with a lot of activity and hence was assuming that "shady" areas and people are not in this area. Would I be right.

I would really appreciate any feedback since I plan to move in next week.

Thanks a lot.

Sincerely
--
shm.blue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: