Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 07:26 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
granted, this happened in Boston, but you're right, it can be a dangerous job. it puts you squarely on the turf of some potentially questionable o downright dangerous people.

Prosecutor details pizza man’s slaughter - BostonHerald.com (http://bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20101104ada_details_pizza_mans_slaughter/ - broken link)
How about this?

Pizza deliveryman shot on Southwest Side - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/07/pizza-deliveryman-shot-on-southwest-side.html - broken link)

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ones-detective (Chicago Police sting operation gets a perp)

Pizza delivery man shot dead, body dumped in car trunk - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/06/pizza-delivery-man-shot-dead-body-dumped-in-car-trunk.html - broken link) (Gary)

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/a...a8ce5d12d.html (Hammond)

(http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/06/pizza-delivery-man-shot-dead-body-dumped-in-car-trunk.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 09:37 PM

661 posts, read 1,247,741 times
I moved to Chicago thinking I could make 50K (or more) a year delivering pizzas. People exaggerated when they told me it is possible. It is, if you do a 12-16 hour shift in downtown Chicago (as some are open close to 20 hours a day). I moved to Chicago from Maryland, I left Chicago after one year, now I'm back in Maryland. The tips are all the same EVERYWHERE. Just because someone lives in Chicago does not mean they are born tippers. Downtown Chicago ALWAYS have openings for delivery drivers (see Craigslist). Reason; people quit after 2 days or so as I have therefore there are openings. I was hired on the spot! After I quit, I worked outside of downtown Chicago which was more laid back. The tips were better since the pizzas arrived on time since there wasn't a "downtown" traffic from vehicles and humans. Downtown delivery on a weekend is HELL. No parking ever even on a weekday, lots of douche bags walking around looking to get laid/get attention. Going up 100 stories inside an apartment building/hotel was rough, going through securities, signing up to deliver a pizza is like going through the airport and all that for just $2 tip! There's a reason why these cheapskates are able to live in downtown Chicago because they are frugal when it comes to gratuities (aka tips). If you decide to stay in Chicago because someone told you it's cool, work in working class neighborhoods outside downtown, even so called "poor" areas are better off (but has risk getting rob) in tips since people trying to move up would want to live afford ably.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:42 PM

The ones that die are the ones that fight back and try to be a hero (we've all seen this scenario in movies). Robbers want your money not because they have a grudge and want to take your life. Bartending; you'll have to deal with douche bags with attitudes, which is worse than getting killed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvoratexn View Post
You do know that being a pizza delivery guy is one of the top jobs in the nation that you're most likely to die on the job right? We're talking more dangerous than being a bomb squad officer.

....and in Chicago of all places. If I were you I'd reconsider a different job. If tips are what you're looking for try bartending at one of the more higher class bars.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:42 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
I moved to Chicago thinking I could make 50K (or more) a year delivering pizzas. People exaggerated when they told me it is possible.
In what universe has a pizza delivery guy ever made 50K? And this was your premise for moving here?

Quote:
If you decide to stay in Chicago because someone told you it's cool...
Ah, the smell of chlorine being dumped in the gene pool.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:52 PM

$100/day is always highly exaggerated (drivers do add their hourly wage/gas money into this so the tips is pretty much just about $50 on an OK day, a good day might get you $20 more). Drivers always say this, much like restaurant managers exaggerate their yearly 45K salary into 60K (I've heard this like forever). $100 daily depends on the day, the hours you work, the person you delivered to. You might get a $20 tip for an order of 1 large pizza because the person that tipped you was either drunk, was happy, was feeling generous, etc. This tip amount can occur once or twice a year if you're lucky. Be realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
100 bucks a day on a good day.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
In what universe has a pizza delivery guy ever made 50K? And this was your premise for moving here?

It's possible, read what I wrote about the hours, etc. Not my premise to move there.

I get the Roseanne sarcasm here. Now let me laugh.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:

Not my premise entirely. Please stop thinking about me...

Old 12-04-2010, 09:22 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
I moved to Chicago thinking I could make 50K (or more) a year delivering pizzas. People exaggerated when they told me it is possible. It is, if you do a 12-16 hour shift in downtown Chicago (as some are open close to 20 hours a day). I moved to Chicago from Maryland, I left Chicago after one year, now I'm back in Maryland. The tips are all the same EVERYWHERE. Just because someone lives in Chicago does not mean they are born tippers. Downtown Chicago ALWAYS have openings for delivery drivers (see Craigslist). Reason; people quit after 2 days or so as I have therefore there are openings. I was hired on the spot! After I quit, I worked outside of downtown Chicago which was more laid back. The tips were better since the pizzas arrived on time since there wasn't a "downtown" traffic from vehicles and humans. Downtown delivery on a weekend is HELL. No parking ever even on a weekday, lots of douche bags walking around looking to get laid/get attention. Going up 100 stories inside an apartment building/hotel was rough, going through securities, signing up to deliver a pizza is like going through the airport and all that for just $2 tip! There's a reason why these cheapskates are able to live in downtown Chicago because they are frugal when it comes to gratuities (aka tips). If you decide to stay in Chicago because someone told you it's cool, work in working class neighborhoods outside downtown, even so called "poor" areas are better off (but has risk getting rob) in tips since people trying to move up would want to live afford ably.
you lost me at the first sentence. seriously, $50k/year? what were you smoking that you thought this was true? professionals w/ college degrees sometimes don't make that much! to move halfway across the country on some unfounded, ludicrous idea that you could make $50k/year delivering pizza is foolish

It's also foolish to do small deliveries downtown via car. too many issues w/ traffic, parking, and one way streets. makes more sense to do it via bicycle or scooter. why even take a job like that?

pizza delivery has its pros and cons, but posts like this are just ridiculous. don't go in expecting to make big bucks, you'll obviously be disappointed.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:05 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,183,965 times
I've been checking Craigslist ads for years in different cities for pizza delivery jobs, just out of curiosity and to perhaps get a feel for the market.

Almost always, in any American city, I've seen quotes of $9-$15, $12-$15, $12-$18, etc. Reality is likely less, as the poster above stated.

The wear and tear on the car plus parking tix would be enough to make one quit.

I delivered pizzas part-time for a few months in Boston 20 years ago...never a security problem, as I was in the Fenway, Back Bay, and other stable areas. But I don't recall making easy money. You're competing with other drivers for large orders, but when slow, nobody's delivering. You'll be folding boxes and other tasks, waiting for a lousy call to come in.

A kid 35 miles north of Boston was robbed last month delivering pizza. Wasn't hurt, but seemed emotionally hurt on the tv interview. Poor kid...

I drive a cab. Low earnings, so I work 60-72 hrs. weekly, but like my job. Like the pizza delivery business, I'm amazed at how much money people hear we make. Drivers lie.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:32 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,888 times
Quote:
In what universe has a pizza delivery guy ever made 50K?
I hate to disagree with you here because usually we are on the same page, but, I know plenty of people that have made 40k to 50k delivering pizza or Chinese food. The thing is, this is if you work at least 40 hours a week doing so and/or have at least 200 deliveries a week. Most food drivers are part-time and work 15-20 hours a week.

The other thing to consider is, in reality, the net pay even with people that have good volume,enough hours, and normal tips is after taxes,gas,insurance,repairs,tickets,etc are deducted from the gross pay,often times it is very hard to break 30K.

50K gross is not unheard of. But to find 50k net, I have never seen it.

Last edited by tonythetuna; 12-14-2010 at 08:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: