Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 07:24 PM

4 posts, read 10,290 times

Advertisements

Hello,

25 yr Chicago resident, I've been gone for over 7 years (living in small town mid-America... how that happened is a mystery even to myself). However, DH & I have a chance to move our family to either the Pac NW or back to Chicago. In our hearts, we're dying to get back to the Windy City, which is second to none in our book. But...

But, but, but

What the heck is up with the rise in random crime? Or is my view point just skewed (from being gone for so long)?

I grew up in the city so I'm used to urban living. But the more I read lately the more I find myself asking are things getting worse in Chicago?

Is it the recession? Something else?

I'd love some input from some locals/"old" timers. If we moved back we'd like to be in the Ravenswood/Lincoln Square area - or else we'll look toward Evanston. Thoughts? We have small children (pre and school age). Might do a good neighborhood school if that works out or could do a small private school. But I want a walking neighborhood, a safe park area, you know, the Chicago I remember of 10 - 15 years ago.

Thanks!

Old 10-26-2010, 07:30 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,433,031 times
I think the title of this thread is misleading. The crime subject has been pretty well covered in this forum several times.

Now if you want to talk about living in Ravenswood or Lincoln Square that is a complete other story.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:36 PM

Default Hmm...

It's only misleading if you're trying to buy my thoughts. I'm looking for input on crime citywide as of late and thoughts behind the reasons/rationale, Ravenswood/LinSq are options but we don't know, that's why I bothered to ask.

It's my question and I'm sticking by it...

Old 10-26-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleRoad View Post
It's only misleading if you're trying to buy my thoughts. I'm looking input on crime citywide as of late and thoughts behind the reasons/rationale, Ravenswood/LinSq are options but we don't know, that's why I bothered to ask.

It's my question and I'm sticking by it...
Here is one long drawn out recent thread on crime:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...e-chicago.html

As for Lincoln Square:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...ln-square.html

Old 10-26-2010, 07:56 PM

4,111 posts, read 9,014,291 times
I don't spend too much time in rough areas of the city and believe it or not, I'm generally a little more worried about crime in the suburban areas I go than when I'm in the city. And I never leave the house without my knife anymore.

The reality is.. Crime can happen ANYWHERE in any neighborhood of any town. It doesn't matter if someone is white, yellow, brown or black. People are violent and the universe could give a rats ass if your life is taken tonight.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:56 PM

Yes, I saw that thread on crime. That's an interesting but less than informative thread, in my view, it spends way too much time on Logan Sq gang problems (as if it's only Logan Square, ya right) and veers into a debate about police brutality...

Hardly a useful thread from a (not so political) parent's perspective.

Thanks.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:58 PM

4,620 posts, read 8,114,586 times
Quote:
Yes, I saw that thread on crime. That's an interesting but less than informative thread, in my view, it spends way too much time on Logan Sq gang problems (as if it's only Logan Square, ya right) and veers into a debate about police brutality...

Thanks.
Statistically Chicago is measurably safer than it was 10-15 years ago. I first came to Chicago 15 years ago, and I see less sketchy stuff than I did then.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:00 PM

Default Areas?

@urza - thanks for the input. Which suburban areas are you referring to? South? SW? West? North? I know crime can happen everywhere, even in small town America, but I'm concerned about the greater probability of crime in certain areas and the changing crime rates in certain neighborhoods.

@emathias - that's good to hear, which general area of the city are you in?

Old 10-26-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:

Thanks.
Well, how about you do a search yourself then? Like I said, there have been dozens of crime/safety threads. Another is not needed.

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...dangerous.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...hicago-il.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...s-chicago.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...-gradient.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...d-schools.html

Thanks.

And just so you know-most other people that post here are sick of the crime/safety questions as well.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 10-26-2010 at 08:09 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 08:21 PM

4,111 posts, read 9,014,291 times
Quote:
@urza - thanks for the input. Which suburban areas are you referring to? South? SW? West? North? I know crime can happen everywhere, even in small town America, but I'm concerned about the greater probability of crime in certain areas and the changing crime rates in certain neighborhoods.
"Out West" to me is Berwyn or Joliet and "up north" to me is Lakeview or.... Calumet City. "Down south" to me is Aroma Park or Kankakee.

Does that answer your question?

"Up there in Calumet City"
"Out in Joliet"
"Down in Kankakee"
These are all phrases I unconsciously find myself saying..

Last edited by urza216; 10-26-2010 at 08:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago