U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2010, 10:20 PM

1,560 posts, read 2,094,576 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

Kind of a random question(s), but I'm just curious. I've been to both NYC and LA, the #1 and #2 most populated cities in the United States. Both cities are obviously highly populated and are a target for others to migrate to. When talking to natives in NYC (which isn't easy to come across it seems lol), they say the amount of population doesn't bother them and people moving there from out of state is just the way of life and never thought of on a regular basis. When I was in LA however and talking to natives, they were a little more concerned about the population. I assume some of this may be due to the fact NYC isn't a "driving city", so there's less problems on that side for them. Anyways, some natives in LA talked to me about some of their concerns with the growing population, and some told me they sometimes wish so many people wouldn't move there from other states for whatever reasons, but the growing population being a concern.

I've never been to Chicago (want to visit sometime though), but first off was just wondering: Is Chicago an overpopulated/overcrowded city? And secondly, do natives of Chicago welcome others from out of state to migrate to the area, or do some wish it would slow down due to the growing population for whatever reasons?

I'm not trying to start any arguments or anything, just simply asking what the opinions are on these matters from Chicago natives. Being that it's the 3rd most populous city in the United States, I was just wondering if it feels like it's overcrowded and just want to see how natives feel about people moving there from out of state and such.

Thanks and sorry if this was too long!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 12:13 AM

3,441 posts, read 4,559,213 times
Never been to LA but LA is a large sprawling city to which public transit was an afterthought. Chicago on the other hand grew because of public transit. L.A. is a late blooming city with lots of people moving in for the weather. Chicago and New York esp. are not.

Not that the CTA is all that great these days but we really don't care much about population here besides general interests. There are dense crowed areas of Chicago and there are areas that are less dense. Also real estate laws in this area don't respect privately owned views.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:49 AM

721 posts, read 1,716,507 times
The population of Chicago isn't something that is thought of much around here. The city isn't necessarily overcrowded if it's what you're use to. Although the city is fairly dense, it's not like you're tripping over people the second you open your door.

Transplants are generally welcomed. They contribute to the city's economy and overall gentrification, although some would argue that's a bad thing. If you ever make it to Chicago, you may find that it actually seems larger than L.A. When I lived in L.A for family issues at fifteen, I actually thought Chicago was larger than L.A (this was before I got into all this CD stuff). I remember talking to my friends and feeling like the cool kid from the bigger city haha. it wasn't until I left, or maybe a little before, that I realized L.A was larger than Chicago. That being said, I still think Chicago feels larger than L.A, at a city level at least.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:41 PM

1,560 posts, read 2,094,576 times
Thanks for the answers thus far.

Anyone else want to chime in?

Old 11-26-2010, 07:48 PM

4,091 posts, read 4,031,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Is Chicago an overpopulated/overcrowded city?
No way. There are about a million less people now then there was at the population peak. This city can easily hold twice what we have now.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:33 PM

36 posts, read 85,464 times
There's some parts of the city that feel like they have a healthy amount of density (i.e. the entire north side near the lake). But then there's parts of the city that feel deserted.

The Blue Line that runs down the Eisenhower expressway is practically empty after the Racine stop.

And if you ever take the Green Line down to the south side there's parts that look like Detroit with its gap toothed development and burned out buildings.

It too bad that Chicago lost so many people during the white flight of the 1960's. It would have been cool to see Chicago's neighborhoods back then.

The thing that just kills me about Chicago region as a whole is that I feel like the suburbs just drain the city of its resources and vitality sometimes. I mean honestly, why are we building cheap plastic homes out south of I-80, which are over an hour from the Loop, when there's empty lots only fifteen minutes from downtown on the south side?

Chicago I'd say is very polar- there's nice density (even too much for some people) on the north side, while the west and south sides feel like a ghost town at times.

I fully welcome transplants to Chicago (as I am a transplant to the near West Side)- when they live in the parts of the city that most need them I welcome them even more!

Last edited by JPits312; 11-27-2010 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 11-27-2010, 07:58 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,508,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPits312 View Post
There's some parts of the city that feel like they have a healthy amount of density (i.e. the entire north side near the lake). But then there's parts of the city that feel deserted.

The Blue Line that runs down the Eisenhower expressway is practically empty after the Racine stop.

And if you ever take the Green Line down to the south side there's parts that look like Detroit with its gap toothed development and burned out buildings.

It too bad that Chicago lost so many people during the white flight of the 1960's. It would have been cool to see Chicago's neighborhoods back then.

The thing that just kills me about Chicago region as a whole is that I feel like the suburbs just drain the city of its resources and vitality sometimes. I mean honestly, why are we building cheap plastic homes out south of I-80, which are over an hour from the Loop, when there's empty lots only fifteen minutes from downtown on the south side?

Chicago I'd say is very polar- there's nice density (even too much for some people) on the north side, while the west and south sides feel like a ghost town at times.

I fully welcome transplants to Chicago (as I am a transplant to the near West Side)- when they live in the parts of the city that most need them I welcome them even more!
The developers build homes over 90 minutes from the Loop because of schools. People who can't afford the closer suburbs want a suburban home in a good school district. Even though the developments on the West and South sides would be within their price range, they want the 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath home, 3 car garage, backyard, and the good schools.

The North Side along the lake is very densely populated and the near NW side and Near West Sides along the river are also very dense.

Chicago is a unique city compared to the East Coast in that most homes on the NW, SW, far West, far North, and far South sides are single family each with yards and a back alley garage. Chicago has very dense parts and very suburban parts all within the city.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:20 AM

721 posts, read 1,716,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
The developers build homes over 90 minutes from the Loop because of schools. People who can't afford the closer suburbs want a suburban home in a good school district. Even though the developments on the West and South sides would be within their price range, they want the 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath home, 3 car garage, backyard, and the good schools.

The North Side along the lake is very densely populated and the near NW side and Near West Sides along the river are also very dense.

Chicago is a unique city compared to the East Coast in that most homes on the NW, SW, far West, far North, and far South sides are single family each with yards and a back alley garage. Chicago has very dense parts and very suburban parts all within the city.
I don't know if I'd call the majority of them Suburban. I know for a fact Edgebrook and the surrounding communities (excluding Jefferson Park) are extremely suburban. They blend seamlessly into Skokie, Lincolnwood, Park Ridge, etc, but the density of homes in most other areas is still much higher than in most suburban communities. In nearly all cases, you can reach out your window and touch your neighbors house. I remember when I was a kid and I would visit my aunts house in Jefferson Park, my cousins and I would open the window and talk to the two kids who lived next door late at night. If I opened my window to talk to my neighbor at home...let's just say it wouldn't turn out well, and I live in Skokie...almost 7,000 people per square mile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago