Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2007, 06:19 PM

12 posts, read 88,285 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to move towards the south side of Chicago so I'm not too far from University of Chicago, BUT I'd like to stay out of Hyde Park.

Any suggestions on fairly cheap places that are somewhat Lake Shore Drive accessible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 10:10 PM

335 posts, read 1,435,527 times
hmm. cheap, south side, not in hyde park, near the university, not too far from lakeshore drive. i think englewood would be perfect!

seriously, maybe south shore, pilsen, or bridgeport. what are you looking for that hyde park doesn't offer?

Old 07-11-2007, 11:58 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi2NYC? View Post
hmm. cheap, south side, not in hyde park, near the university, not too far from lakeshore drive. i think englewood would be perfect!

seriously, maybe south shore, pilsen, or bridgeport. what are you looking for that hyde park doesn\\\'t offer?
Is Englewood really safe enough to be recommending people to be moving into? I agree about Pilsen or Bridgeport being nice, but Englewood is rather rough still in many areas in my opinion. It seems Englewood is on the news almost every night headlining with who shot who or ran who over and beat which guy up. I personally would steer clear of that area.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:01 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Is Englewood really safe enough to be recommending people to be moving into? I agree about Pilsen or Bridgeport being nice, but Englewood is rather rough still in many areas in my opinion. Englewood is on the news almost every night headlining with who shot who or ran who over and beat which guy up. I personally would steer clear of that area.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say it was a joke.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:00 PM

335 posts, read 1,435,527 times
yeah, it was a joke to suggest that hyde park is really as good as it gets to be on the south side and near the university there.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:54 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times
You can also try south loop...but it isn't terribly cheap! I am not that familiar with pilsen, but have friends that recently relocated FROM that neighborhood due to safety reasons. Why not Hyde Park?

Old 07-23-2007, 04:28 PM

12 posts, read 55,161 times
Hi -
Kenwood to the north, Woodlawn to the south, South Shore around 69th - 73rd near the lake...there are also some nice places south of there on Yates Blvd.
I lived near Moo n' Oink on 71st place for 4 years w/out incident and had really nice neighbors...just have to look around & don't let the main streets scare you off - they tend to be ugly compared to what's near them!

El

Old 07-24-2007, 08:18 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
I would investigate the offerings of Lake Meadows around 33rd and King Drive. As far as I can remember, I think it is run by Draper and Kramer. The area is reasonable as to cost and reasonably safe. There is also a fair amount of condo development going on in the area. That region is a short bus ride to the UofC.

South Shore is close and reasonably priced to the campus, also. You may want to check out Woodlawn (Cottage to Stoney, 67th to 61st) -- its not Hyde Park, its close to the lake, its close to the campus and its cheap.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:19 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,537,677 times
I'd second Manigault -- daily services (think grocery) are pretty thin on the south side, but 35th/King [Bronzeville-ish] and Stony Island/71st in South Shore both offer the usual complement of retail. South Shore probably has the edge in terms of gorgeous houses, but Bronzeville is much closer to downtown.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,319 times
hi I am indian who has to live in chicago for 2 months, from july to august and will be working at chicago public library and chicago university , which would be the best place to stay,. please someone reply quickly. what would be the best place to rent out an apartment

debashree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: