Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 02:46 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times

Advertisements

I hear of people living in cheap hoods in Brooklyn and Queens having 45 minute subway commutes to Manhattan. That's ridiculously long commute for Chicago unless you're doing a bus-train transfer from the edges of the city. No train ride takes that long to get to downtown Chicago except perhaps the purple line or from the O-hare end of the blue line. My point is: smaller, cheaper city means it's easier to live closer to downtown and one can get there faster even on our inferior transit system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 10:54 PM

644 posts, read 1,188,036 times
^45 minutes is not bad at all. The commute in Chicago can easily be much longer, even if you're not coming from the edge of the city. For instance, from Hyde Park, the express buses get you downtown in 25-30 minutes on a good day. But if you don't live near the lake where all of these routes run, then you add in walking time or a bus transfer, and you're already up to 45 minutes. And Hyde Park is nowhere near the edges of the city. That said, the commutes are definitely shorter than 45 minutes from most places if you live near an 'L' line.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:50 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
The issue isn't that Chicago's mass transit isn't comprehensive -- it is -- but that the rapid transit component is not. But between the trains and buses, you can get from any part of the city to any other part. It may take you quite a while, but you'll get there eventually. There are certainly times when a bike will be a quicker alternative to a bus, but you won't be allowed to take it on the train during rush hours.

One thing Chicago has over New York is that it's a lot easier to get around by car during off-peak hours.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:53 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Its all relative. People coming from the greater New York area or the greater LA area would see Chicago like the OP.
Chicago is more dense and more urban than LA. Chicago has MUCH better public transportation than LA.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:30 AM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Chicago is more dense and more urban than LA. Chicago has MUCH better public transportation than LA.
This gap has narrowed CONSIDERABLY in the last 20 years or so.

LA is over 9,000 people/square mile and has more land than Chicago that is uninhabited. (steep mountains of the Santa Monicas mostly). So, that would bring it closer to Chicagos density of 12,000 something.

Chicago may still have better and more comprehensive public transportation, but thats almost entirely a product of yesteryear. Yes, Chicago has added the Orange and pink line in the last 30 years, but LA built a whole system in that time.

Chicago stand out in terms of the core area: Loop/Mag Mile/Gold Coast/River North. A distant second in North America, behind NYC, with Toronto following behind as a very close third.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:55 AM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
This gap has narrowed CONSIDERABLY in the last 20 years or so.

LA is over 9,000 people/square mile and has more land than Chicago that is uninhabited. (steep mountains of the Santa Monicas mostly). So, that would bring it closer to Chicagos density of 12,000 something.

Chicago may still have better and more comprehensive public transportation, but thats almost entirely a product of yesteryear. Yes, Chicago has added the Orange and pink line in the last 30 years, but LA built a whole system in that time.

Chicago stand out in terms of the core area: Loop/Mag Mile/Gold Coast/River North. A distant second in North America, behind NYC, with Toronto following behind as a very close third.
My bad. LA is about 8,200 people/square mile. Chicago is 12,500.

But still LA has chunks of uninhabited mountain parks: Griffith Park, Topanga state park, parts of the Verdugo mountains. LA proper also has rather low density, super rich communities along the hillsides: Hollywood Hills, etc.

However LAs flatlands are in reality just about dense as the vast majority of Chicago minus the core area of Loop/Near north side, Gold Coast, and the thin string of high rises along the north lakefront.

Here is are pictures comparing the rail systems.

Google Image Result for http://www.lightrail.com/maps/losangeles/lacmta2002.gif

Google Image Result for http://www.subwaynut.com/chicago/map.gif

LAs isn't quite up there yet, but getting close.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:11 PM

20 posts, read 37,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrains View Post
Chicago has such an amazing vibe, everyone was very friendly. Is Chicago any more friendly compared to other cities or maybe I'm just crazy. If I needed directions, people took their time to make sure I knew where I was going. It was very easy to spark a conversation with strangers on the sidewalk, I've never really experienced this before.

You're not crazy. I grew up in Chicago and always thought it was weird when people in other places would pass you on the sidewalk without a smile or a "good day."

Just promise if you move here you will never, ever, ever refer to it as "Chi-town." Ugh.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:50 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,727,874 times
Chicawgo or Chi city I hear a lot.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:55 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrains View Post
I took a 4 day trip to Chicago last month and it was amazing. I currently live in NYC (Williamsburg, Brooklyn to be specific) and looking to relocate to a new city in a few years. New York is great but as I reach my 30's, it's becoming a bit too crowded for me. My neighborhood is such an eyesore, it's much too loud and expensive. I used to live in Portland, Oregon but the job market is not so good there, never really was during the best of times. The cost of living is very high compared to the average salary. My standard of living is much better in NYC despite the very high rent.

Chicago has such an amazing vibe, everyone was very friendly. Is Chicago any more friendly compared to other cities or maybe I'm just crazy. If I needed directions, people took their time to make sure I knew where I was going. It was very easy to spark a conversation with strangers on the sidewalk, I've never really experienced this before.

How is Chicago's job market outside recession years? I work in Marketing and would like to have a good career. How are salary's compared to the cost of living? One difference I noticed between Chicago and NYC is that people in Chicago seemed to be in good moods on their commute home. People weren't glued to their blackberry's sending work e-mails on their way home. I really hate how NYC is a rat race, people give their lives up for their jobs. When I was taking the commuter train to see family on Thanksgiving, the two people sitting next to me (didn't know each other) were sending and receiving work e-mails. This is not the kind of work culture I want to work in. I plan on having a fair work/life balance and this seems to not exist much in NYC.

Any suggestions?

Hi! Can you explain this "Chicago Vibe" in detail? I live in Chicago and the only time I catch a Chicago vibe is when I fly back in from Miami or Vegas.

I never really like Chicago's vibe even though I live here because it feels serious, business-like, with a devilish twist. Please inform me of you impression of said vibe.

Also, could you please explain your current financial standing. If you have money, Chicago is for you. If you don't, thinks could get a little gangster...let us know please. Thank you.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:59 PM

20 posts, read 37,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Chicawgo or Chi city I hear a lot.
I didn't mean that completely seriously, it's just a personal pet peeve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago