Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 03:13 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,323 times

Advertisements

Ah... so we've gone from blue-collar families (with absolutely no authentic local references at all) to cop, to cop/emergency room, to cop/corrupt politicians?

Why no sitcoms about 'hipsters' in the city/the social dynamics of a particular quirky staff within (say) a big marketing/advertising firm/whatever? (Anyone who's actually been to Chicago would know that we probably have the second highest number of the former - in an actual urban area, that is - after NYC.) And the thing is, a show about yuppies/buppies/whatever in downtown Chicago wouldn't be fake boosting - it would be a reflection of reality. Whatever you think of yuppies - yes, they certain have their annoying qualities - it irritates me that the mass media/entertainment industries insist on continuing to downplay their existence in Chicago - both the city of and its suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 04:44 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Ah... so we've gone from blue-collar families (with absolutely no authentic local references at all) to cop, to cop/emergency room, to cop/corrupt politicians?

Why no sitcoms about 'hipsters' in the city/the social dynamics of a particular quirky staff within (say) a big marketing/advertising firm/whatever? (Anyone who's actually been to Chicago would know that we probably have the second highest number of the former - in an actual urban area, that is - after NYC.) And the thing is, a show about yuppies/buppies/whatever in downtown Chicago wouldn't be fake boosting - it would be a reflection of reality. Whatever you think of yuppies - yes, they certain have their annoying qualities - it irritates me that the mass media/entertainment industries insist on continuing to downplay their existence in Chicago - both the city of and its suburbs.
This is what you get when someone from Rockford is in charge of a show about Chicago.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:02 PM

491 posts, read 1,121,273 times
I just watched it. Seems like a very slightly above average cop show. No Law & Order, that's for sure!

Old 02-28-2011, 09:35 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
This is what you get when someone from Rockford is in charge of a show about Chicago.
Yeah, and a guy who doesn't even know how to spell his own name at that.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Yeah, and a guy who doesn't even know how to spell his own name at that.
"Even though I haven’t lived in the Midwest since my early 20’s, I was born and raised there and was infused with everything that came from being a Midwesterner."

"The people are different. I’m not saying they are better or worse, but they’re different. The culture and community is different. "

Interview: Shawn Ryan Shares Why 'Chicago Code' Is Unique - Starpulse.com

People from Rockford might consider themselves Midwesterners, but most people from Chicago consider themselves Chicagoans. That is where the guy made a big mistake from the beginning. People from Chicago don't think or act the same as someone from Rockford or from Indianapolis or wherever. Most people in Chicago don't have any sense of regional affiliation.

He attacked the show from the wrong angle. If you are doing Chicago make your show Chicago, don't make it Rockford or the entire Midwest. All Midwesterners are not the same. Just like Detroit or Milwaukee is different from Chicago.

"GROWING up in Rockford, Ill., the television writer and producer Shawn Ryan, 44, was always fascinated by Chicago, the big, bad metropolis just 90 miles away."

“As a kid I’d travel there to play soccer or hockey or see pro sports, and I was always in awe of the place and curious about its people,”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/06/ar...06chicago.html

Do it right or don't do it at all.

I am not hating on people from Rockford, believe me. He could have been from Naperville or Springfield for all I care.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
"Even though I haven’t lived in the Midwest since my early 20’s, I was born and raised there and was infused with everything that came from being a Midwesterner."

"The people are different. I’m not saying they are better or worse, but they’re different. The culture and community is different."
First, define 'Midwest.' Second - different from what? The 'normal' people in Mid-Atlantic states like NJ, I suppose? (Who are also undoubtedly all identical to one another. )

Old 03-01-2011, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
First, define 'Midwest.' Second - different from what? The 'normal' people in Mid-Atlantic states like NJ, I suppose? (Who are also undoubtedly all identical to one another. )
Someone should have asked him those things.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Someone should have asked him those things.
Hehehe... indeed!

Old 03-01-2011, 10:31 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,484 times
I think the show has gotten much better since the first embarresing episode. That being said I would doubt that I'd be watching it if it wasnt in Chicago

Old 03-01-2011, 04:14 PM

3,446 posts, read 3,374,590 times
Quote:
I still refuse to watch it.
You aren't alone. I still haven't given in to watching it, either!

Maybe I'll give in down the road and watch 1-2 episodes, but I'm not ready to cross that bridge yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago