U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 08:03 PM

4 posts, read 4,737 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Looking for some help here. We are moving to Chicago very soon and looking for recommendations on good neighbourhood and schools. My husband is starting a new job in Maywood, IL and we are looking for good safe neighbourhoods within 20-30 mins driving distance to Maywood, IL. Also I have a baby (8 months) and just thinking about her schooling in the future, can you please recommend areas with good private schools.

Appreciate your help
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 08:09 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,391,752 times
What is your budget?

Why private over public?

What type of private school? Non religious, parochial, Montessori?

This will help us help you. Every suburb has a variety of housing options. Some suburbs have great public schools and are far from private schools. Others do not have good schools.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:29 AM

3,338 posts, read 4,358,640 times
Another factor is private schooling. A major reason why people choose living in the burbs over chicago is for better public schooling. If you are going to go with private schooling then there are areas in the city itself that can suit your needs.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:55 AM

28,461 posts, read 78,248,267 times
Default Maywood itself is one of the less desirable towns in the region...

...over the years crime and undesirable folks have really worn on Maywood. There are a handful of really attractive homes in Maywood, but as long as you are asking about schools and have a child it probably makes more sense to consider adjacent towns with less negatives.

Without knowing your budget it might be hard to recommend a town. Close to Maywood towns like Brookfield have some nice homes from about $200k. That would get an older home with 3+ bedrooms that may have been fixed up a bit. Brookfield is served by several different school districts and the more desirable sections tend to be more expensive. Adjacent to Brookfield is Riverside, an area with moor upscale homes that start about $100k higher. To the west of Brookfield is LaGrange, it has similar starter pricing to Riverside.

Northeast of Maywood is Oak Park which tends to have lots of fans here on the forums. I think it is not as good a value, but some people like it's more politically activist bent.

Working in Maywood there is no good reason to live in Chicago itself. You'd face a much more challenging situation to get your child into a good school and commute to work wouod be longer.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:45 AM

Thank you Chet, Chirack and Chitown for your reply. I was told public schools in Chicago are not the greatest. I dont think budget is to much of a concern for private schooling. I would prefer a non religiious school, however, if there is a better school in the neighbourhood which is religious that is fine as well. Can someone please tell me the best schools close to Maywood. I guess that could be our starting point to find a good neighbourhood.
Thank you once again

Old 12-06-2010, 07:51 AM

5,523 posts, read 12,990,270 times
What is your housing budget? $2 million or $200k? Or somewhere in between? It makes a huge difference in what neighborhoods you'll be looking at.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:50 AM

I guess more closer to 500K. Thank you for your help

Old 12-06-2010, 11:31 AM

20 posts, read 35,394 times
Magnate schools are a good choice. Decatur is an amazing school, Pritzker is also good. They send buses pretty far too. I don't know about magnate schools in other parts of the city but you should ask around.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:50 AM

1,832 posts, read 2,159,112 times
Do you really need to live in Maywood? Excluding Bellwood, Stone Park(dunno why, but the very few times I've ever driven through it, I just don't have a good opinion of it), and most areas of Cicero and Broadview, almost all of the surrounding communities to the north and east are better. Even Melrose Park(as hit or miss as I find it to be, and just to the north of Maywood) is better. I won't deny that because of the fact Maywood has been struggling, it has a lot of charming housing stock in certain parts that I hope are renovated before it's too late.

I would recommend any of the communities that surround Oak Park, since OP can sometimes be very expensive(and River Forest being very close behind). Don't forget to look in Elmwood Park, River Forest, Forest Park, and Berwyn as well(my fav of these four easily being Berwyn, due to its stock of historic charming bungalows, and the fact that housing values are trending upward there). Whenever BRU67 sees this thread, he can give you some good recommendations on the near west suburbs. Hopefully, he'll sees this thread and does a reply.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:56 AM

5,523 posts, read 12,990,270 times
I don't believe the OP expressed any particular desire to live in Maywood, only to live within 20-30 minutes from the job in Maywood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago