Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 08:33 PM

6 posts, read 14,778 times

Advertisements

Is it a safe neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 08:33 PM

20 posts, read 38,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I actually don't think you would be crazy to consider Evanston. I lived in Evanston for 3 years when I first graduated college and started working in the loop. The downtown Evanston area is very cute (defined by me as being between Dempster to the south, Noyes to the north, Asbury to the west and the lake to the east; not an official definition by any means). There were tons of restaurants I could walk to and it felt very safe for a single person. I lived near the Davis street Metra and Purple line stops. That's one of the things I liked a lot about Evanston, the ability to use both the CTA and Metra, depending on what I was doing.

Given where you say you'll be working, I think you could live in Evanston and get to work easily by taking the Purple line to Fullerton and taking the red line to Chicago. During the nicer months or if you were in the mood for a longer walk you could stay on the purple line until the Chicago stop, which would put you a few blocks farther west. Either way, not a bad commute.
I commuted from Evanston to Chicago this summer and when I rode the purple express, the commute wasn't too bad, but on weekends, taking purple and then transferring at Howard to the red line and riding that took a lot of time because of the constant stops and I always made a mental note to move closer to the loop if I got a job there. I actually missed 2/3 of a band playing because of a huge red line delay on a Tuesday night, but that stuff just happens so I wasn't too frustrated.

The distance can be long when the purple line isn't express, but if you have some good books to read or music to listen to, it's not too bad. Plus, I agree, downtown Evanston is very cute. If I end up living in Chicago, I would definitely consider moving to Evanston to raise a family, if I could afford it.

Last edited by HillaryClare; 12-20-2010 at 08:49 PM..

Old 12-20-2010, 08:34 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmkellogg View Post
Is it a safe neighborhood?
It's somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:25 PM

400 posts, read 957,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillaryClare View Post
I commuted from Evanston to Chicago this summer and when I rode the purple express, the commute wasn't too bad, but on weekends, taking purple and then transferring at Howard to the red line and riding that took a lot of time because of the constant stops and I always made a mental note to move closer to the loop if I got a job there. I actually missed 2/3 of a band playing because of a huge red line delay on a Tuesday night, but that stuff just happens so I wasn't too frustrated.

The distance can be long when the purple line isn't express, but if you have some good books to read or music to listen to, it's not too bad. Plus, I agree, downtown Evanston is very cute. If I end up living in Chicago, I would definitely consider moving to Evanston to raise a family, if I could afford it.

Yeah but would you want to raise a family in Evanston now
that they are messing with the Highschool?
They are starting to mainstream everyone now,
because they feel its unfair for whites to be all honors
and the minorities arent.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:30 PM

400 posts, read 957,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Unless it has changed a lot, the area around Howard and Chicago Ave seems to have quite a bit of crime. There used to be a lot of illegal drug busts there.

Things dont change overnight.
Its changing..... Slowly....
But in the right direction.

There is a new former Condo development
that is now luxury apts on the Evanston side
of Howard address is 415 w Howard.

And the Building on the Chicago side
of Howard and Clark is still Condo and doing okay.
There is a spinoff Leonas restaurant right there
called HopHaus.

I think Howard street east of Clark/Chicago has
a bright future. Currently its still got alot of
gang activity. But I keep track of what goes
on there and New businesses are popping up
little by little over the past few years.

North of Howard Blog tells it like it is.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:05 PM

20 posts, read 38,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier xerxes View Post
Yeah but would you want to raise a family in Evanston now
that they are messing with the Highschool?
I probably won't be worrying about having a family for maybe a decade or so, depending on circumstances and after reading a few pages of the Chicago public schools post, it makes me wonder how schooling will be when I do decide to have kids. Hopefully that won't be for a while, so by that time the state of the schools will most likely either be better or worse. Here's hoping for better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: