Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:49 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
I risked being flamed as a racist, but I'm simply stating a fact here. Ashburn, Pill Hill and Morgan Park are predominently black. Beverly is mixed. Mt. Greenwood is almost all white. I only mention race, because you may not feel comfortable living in a neighborhood where you're the only white or black family.Beverly's fairly safe, Mt. Greenwod is mostly cops and is very safe, the other neighborhoods are a bit high in crime. Again, just stating facts. The police blotter in the Daily Southtown regularly reports armed robberies and gang shootings in Ashburn, hardly ever in Mt. Greenwood. To be fair, I live in overwhelmingly white Oak Lawn, and we have a lot of armed robberies, along with the odd home invasion, car jacking or gang shooting. Still, it's a fairly safe area overall.

Not that I think you're racist, but this is one of the reasons why Chicago will stay segregated. All the neighborhoods that been mentioned are safe by city standards. Beverly was listed as the safest neighborhood in the city at the one time. Morgan Park is majority black, but not extremely black except for the high school. In 2000, the Morgan Park was 66.7% black and Ashburn was 43% black. I still see white people in Morgan Park and I think Ashburn hasn't dramatically changed either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 10:29 AM

26 posts, read 105,619 times
Default What I Like About Ashburn

I was getting my haircut this morning in Ashburn, and my barber made a joke about how Ashburn was the black Mt. Greenwood. I couldn't agree more. I lived in Ashburn for 8 years, Auburn Gresham for 2, and Beverly the last 6 1/2. And out of the three, I'd have to say that Ashburn was the most "home" feeling for me. Of course, A-G is detrimental, and the public schools in Bev are comparatively superb to most CPS schools, but Ashburn has always been my "happy" place. I still go there to see old friends from a decade ago.
Idk. I am not trying to give a long speech about my undying love for Ashburn or anything, but its the place where I was born and raised... I recommend it to ANYONE.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:28 PM

867 posts, read 1,371,416 times
^^You are dumb!^^
I've been driving around as pf lately, and discovered a few new nooks that I was not familiar with before. I'd have to say I really like what I saw.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:55 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beverlybrat60643 View Post
I am not trying to give a long speech about my undying love for Ashburn or anything, but its the place where I was born and raised... I recommend it to ANYONE.
That wants to get mugged,robbed,raped, or murdered sure.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:36 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,756,429 times
My my have times changed. Back in my childhood growing up in Jeffrey Manor one wouldn't have thought twice about any neighborhood from 103rd right up to 67th street East of Stoney Island. These days it's quite a different world. More than any single factor I'd say it's more the gang activity than just people trying to live out their lives that drives the crime. Beverly always was a rather nice place, and suspect it remains that today. The rest you can take with a grain of salt...or perhaps buckshot

Old 03-07-2011, 10:06 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,918,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
My my have times changed. Back in my childhood growing up in Jeffrey Manor one wouldn't have thought twice about any neighborhood from 103rd right up to 67th street East of Stoney Island. These days it's quite a different world. More than any single factor I'd say it's more the gang activity than just people trying to live out their lives that drives the crime. Beverly always was a rather nice place, and suspect it remains that today. The rest you can take with a grain of salt...or perhaps buckshot
Beverly is still an excellent place to raise a family. If I were looking to move back into the city, it's the only neighborhood I would consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
That wants to get mugged,robbed,raped, or murdered sure.
You're actually quite mistaken, sir. Ashburn is not quite the worst crime capital of the city.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:23 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
I risked being flamed as a racist, but I'm simply stating a fact here. Ashburn, Pill Hill and Morgan Park are predominently black. Beverly is mixed. Mt. Greenwood is almost all white. I only mention race, because you may not feel comfortable living in a neighborhood where you're the only white or black family.Beverly's fairly safe, Mt. Greenwod is mostly cops and is very safe, the other neighborhoods are a bit high in crime. Again, just stating facts. The police blotter in the Daily Southtown regularly reports armed robberies and gang shootings in Ashburn, hardly ever in Mt. Greenwood. To be fair, I live in overwhelmingly white Oak Lawn, and we have a lot of armed robberies, along with the odd home invasion, car jacking or gang shooting. Still, it's a fairly safe area overall.
Personally, I feel much safer in Pill Hill than I do in Mt Greenwood. Mt. Greenwood is like a Klan stronghold. I don't know if I would rather walk the streets of Englewood or Mt Greenwood after dark.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:27 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post

Jeffrey Manor has been a dump for a very long time. You will find some of the most mindlessly violent, ignorant people in the city in that neighborhood. I have some very bad memories of that place.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:47 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,918,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Personally, I feel much safer in Pill Hill than I do in Mt Greenwood. Mt. Greenwood is like a Klan stronghold. I don't know if I would rather walk the streets of Englewood or Mt Greenwood after dark.
As a non-white person, I'd rather be caught in Mt. Greenwood after dark, ANYTIME over Englewood. I've been in Mount Greenwood many times, early in the morning, late in the evening....never had a problem. Glad it's like that, nice and safe, quiet ya know. Now the only thing I do not like is the homogeneous nature of the neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Jeffrey Manor has been a dump for a very long time. You will find some of the most mindlessly violent, ignorant people in the city in that neighborhood. I have some very bad memories of that place.
Wow, that's a strong statement.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:20 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
You're actually quite mistaken, sir. Ashburn is not quite the worst crime capital of the city.
I never said it was. It is provable to be much worse than a good majority of neighborhoods in the city though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago