Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2010, 09:20 PM

51 posts, read 107,332 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a live work space on not much money. There's a place in Brighton Park. I don't know what intersection I only know it's on 46th, and seems close to Back of the Yards on the map. I may ask about other areas in this forum. I have some trouble understanding the statistics pages for crime. For those who know the city well, is this part of Brighton a relatively safe area, not perfect, but livable. I don't need a gentrified paradise, just an area where I don't need too worry about being mugged, beaten, or raped, or have my house robbed. Of course it can happen in any neighborhood, and has to me, but I'm just looking for a place that is generally considered as safe. I'm mainly looking for size, so the classifieds guide me to neighborhoods as much as I'd like to limit myself to a familiar area. The only other things I need are public transport and a super market (I can't drive).

Mattering on the price the apt./house/space would have to house me and one or two other people. I've mainly used Craigslist to look for places, but if you know of a better source I am open since Craigslist is full of Rent to Own and scam ads. If anyone has other ideas of ways to find places, even references, I am open.

I've been looking for a while, and may still look for a while. It's important for me to find a place I can work despite my poverty and mental illness that keeps me poor. I almost found two places, but was unlucky, and they fell through for different reasons. Whether you wish to share your experience is entirely your choice. If you feel my questions are taxing then you should not participate. Please do not join this Thread just to attack my purpose.

Thanks You for your contribution.

Last edited by Mental; 12-10-2010 at 09:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 10:15 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,332,922 times
If you stick to the topic of Brighton Park people might just help you. If you ask about 20 other neighborhoods like you did in the other thread there is no point in you making a new thread to ask about 20 different neighborhoods again.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:30 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,285,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mental View Post
just an area where I don't need too worry about being mugged, beaten, or raped, or have my house robbed.
Didn't you mention that you are a male? If so, the odds of you being raped anywhere in Chicago are extremely rare (excluding Cook County Jail)

Old 12-10-2010, 10:59 PM

I really meant more my female roommate. I was just trying to be as brief as possible.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:06 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,285,776 times
I don't think Brighton Park borders Back of the Yards. Landlords sometimes mislead unsuspecting renters about neighborhood boundaries.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:17 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,332,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I don't think Brighton Park borders Back of the Yards.
It does.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:17 PM

Yeah, I was guessing boarders from the google map. Is that area of Brighton OK, or is it to close (I hear BOTY is too dangerous)?

There are two places that have come up that seem like they are probably too dangerous. One at Division and Kedzie, which is somewhat close to Chicago and Homan which many warned me was a terrible place. Is Division and Kedzie, which borders the west side of the park better, and or tolerable in terms of safety.

I have actually been offered a place at 3800 Madison Avenue in Garfeild that I always heard was too dangerous. Even the landlord says he is scared for me to live their. Is it really so bad. If I'm passing on the possibility I want to make sure I'm making the right choice. That it is just too unsafe to take.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: