Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2010, 11:00 AM

57 posts, read 171,104 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Chicago in May after graduation and I am doing a lot of research on the Lakeview area. I am a 24 female that likes to shop and go to the bars. I heard there are a lot of gays in this area which is not a problem. Although, I would prefer to live in an area with either a combination of straight and gays or primarily straight. Also, sports do not really interest me. Could someone please give me intersections of apartments that they think I would be the most interested in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 11:20 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,391 times
Look at the streets off of Broadway. That is the most lively part of Lakeview, but there is not really a lot of bars actually on Broadway.

Halsted north of Belmont is the main strip of gay activity for nightlife

Clark north of about Roscoe is sports bar central.

You may also want to consider the areas off Southport (north of Belmont). It's a bit more laid back than the parts of Lakeview closer to the lake, but it has a lot of shopping and bars.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:14 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,104,142 times
Area around Clark/Diversey/Broadway intersection is probably the most lively. Reality is just about anywhere in Lakeview will be safe and close to bars/shopping.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:00 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,374,674 times
I concur with the other posts here in this thread. If you want the livliest part of Lakeview, with a lot of people walking around on the sidewalk, etc, then Broadway, south of Addison, is your best bet (but it is more expensive over there).

Southport is also a good bet...decent amount of pedestrian activity, but a little more quieter, and not as expensive. Better parking too.

Of the normal boundaries of Lakeview (Diversey to Irving Park Rd, and lakefront all the way west to roughly Damen), the only pocket of Lakeview that is still considered 'sketchy' is the North East corner of Lakeview, the area of Broadway that is north of Grace St. There is a "co-op" (low income housing) right there that has a sketchy population. One other area is the stretch of North Sheridan that is also north of Grace; there is a wierd "hotel" there that attracts homeless people, drifters, and drug dealers. It is not uncommon to hear of someone getting shot in there (happened just recently too), or to hear wierd freakish screams coming from the open windows in the summer (drug overdose??). I used to live at Clark and Grace and was always hesitant about walking thru there.

Other than that, Lakeview is awesome and you cannot go wrong.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:47 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,334,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
there is a wierd "hotel" there that attracts homeless people, drifters, and drug dealers. It is not uncommon to hear of someone getting shot in there (happened just recently too), or to hear wierd freakish screams coming from the open windows in the summer (drug overdose??).
I have been around there more than a few times and heard what sounded like chimpanzee in heat emanating from that building.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:05 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,582,897 times
Best part is East Lakeview, between Addison and Diversey, and between Halsted and the lake.

I don't prefer anything north of Addison because the neighborhood just begins to feel a bit sketchy, but thats' just my opinion. Maybe a few blocks but I dont' like anything past Grace St, could be that there's a liquor store by Sheridan and Broadway, which seems to make a difference in the way a street feels. And its not a trendy liquor store, its one that looks sketchy. You can go see for yourself if you disagree. it looks a bit run down there. it also begins to feel like the bad part of Updown begins around Sheridan and Broadway there.

Roscoe and Halsted are I beleive right smack dab in the middle of the gay neighborhod so it's very lively and fun and most likely safe for a woman to walk down at night, since there's so many people out all night having fun on the weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago