Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:10 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I've never known anyone to change their tires at any point during the year - I'm assuming everyone normally just has all-season?
Like I said earlier, I switch to snow tires for the winter but I drive more than most people, particularly in the winter. Mostly rural areas. And as a side benefit, my pretty aluminum wheels stay nice because they never see salt.

I would bet money that the car in question in this thread has all-seasons, which should be perfectly fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 09:15 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I wouldn't want to have to make the commute in from Tinley Park in the winter. That could easily be well over an hour each day if there's even a little snow.

She'd be much safer not having to make a long commute she's unused to every day.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:02 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
I don't know anybody in the city that switches up their tires... I've had an Honda Accord and VW Jetta here ... no issues. I would look into whats up with Tinley Park though and is she going to be traveling a lot on other roads and such. At the very least if she is in Tinley she should just park and ride the METRA in the Winter. http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/m...INLEYPARK.html

Old 12-20-2010, 08:34 PM

16 posts, read 52,262 times
She currently has Uniroyal 205-55-16 Tiger Paw M+S. These are just average all season tires.
Tinley Park is the starting point because she may be staying with an Aunt that lives in that area. We are also looking into short term apartments or rooms that are closer to the rehabilitation institute of Chicago where she is doing her internship. Thanks all for the answers.....more suggestions/comments are appreciated.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:42 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,978 times
Don't know what your budget is but plenty of the high rises in that area do short term rentals, Presidential Towers is probably a bit cheaper but still definitely close enough. It really is better to be closer to work than it is to have a car, especially at that time of the year and for such a short stay.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:00 PM

20 posts, read 38,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by km5er View Post
We are also looking into short term apartments or rooms that are closer to the rehabilitation institute of Chicago where she is doing her internship. Thanks all for the answers.....more suggestions/comments are appreciated.
When I needed a room for the summer, everyone I talked to suggested I try Craigslist sublet ads. I ended up renting one room from a Craigslist sublet ad and another from a Facebook Marketplace ad (basically the same thing as Craigslist, but less shady.) The Craigslist room did not work out too well because of landlord issues, but the room I found off of Facebook was from a Northwestern student and I ended up having three roommates and had no issues.

I think subletting is definitely the way to go for shorterm rentals because you can find rooms (a lot of times furnished) that are owned by college students who are studying abroad or taking a leave of absence and need a sublessor for a few months. It's easier looking for summer sublets because of summer vacation, but I'm sure many rooms are still available for the length of the winter semester. Subletting might save your daughter a lot of driving time and winter traffic stress.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:45 PM

269 posts, read 717,400 times
My car is useless in the snow on its regular tires (Mini Cooper S). Its alright on snow tires. I think I got them a few years ago for like $650 or so mounted on a new set of wheels.

For a civic you can probably find a set cheaper mounted on cheap steel wheels.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:46 PM

622 posts, read 1,196,588 times
i'll echo the sentiments above. driving into downtown from tinley park in the winter would be a nightmare. save the money on tires, get her a monthly Metra pass and you'll both sleep a lot better for it.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:48 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,206 times
Quote:
Hi, My daughter will be staying in the Chicago area and working downtown in one of the hospitals for a senior internship. She is a southern girl and has never driven on snow or ice. My question is :Should I put snow/ice tires on her car which is a Honda Civic?

She will be in Chicago from late January to mid April. It is not the expense that concerns me..it is just that I do not want to waste the money if not needed. If needed I have no problem with it as her safety is of most importance (and she drives like her mother!).
Plows are out almost upon the arrival of the first flake and traffic is bumper to bumper almost city-wide. Stick to the busiest roads (Ashland, Damen, Cicero, Cermak, etc.) and you will be fine even with bald tires. Traffic during a snowstorm around Chicago rarely exceeds 20 mph on surface roads and there is so much of it that the snow is turned into mush basically unless there is an all out blizzard which that has happened once in the past 30 years that I can remember. New Years Blizzard 98... ish I think it was??? Either 98 or 99 that hit New Years Day.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:57 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Quote:
Hi, My daughter will be staying in the Chicago area and working downtown in one of the hospitals for a senior internship. She is a southern girl and has never driven on snow or ice. My question is :Should I put snow/ice tires on her car which is a Honda Civic?
She won't need snow tires for a front wheel drive Honda Civic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago