Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 06:51 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
In her defense, these guys were kind of pricks by aggressively hitting on her which is surprising for hipsters...

You mean like saying vulgar things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 10:49 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,134,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Hipsters and artists, imo, should not be put into the same category. Hipsters don't create anything as they're more like groupies, following on the coat-tails of the artists who "pioneer" neighborhoods in search of cheap studio space. First the artists move in, then the hipsters, then the yuppies.
Hipsters bring commerce. Even if they aren't artists themselves (And many are, contrary to your assertion) they are patrons of the arts. They support music, dining, bookstores, retail, etc. You know, the things that make a neighborhood a desirable destination. It seems like your experience with hipsters has been limited to cartoon hipsters and stuffwhitepeoplelike.com (Funny site, BTW)

I honestly don't understand where the hostility towards hipsters comes from. I get that each generation has the obligation to bust the chops of the one that follows them (Damn kids and their rock and roll music, stay off my lawn!) but I know a lot of good, hard working individuals who are hipsters and many defy the generalizations I see heaped on them. To those who would say "Hipsters Keep Out" when it comes to their neighborhoods, I ask you this:
Do you know any hipsters that are on welfare? How often are hipsters in the news for gun violence?
Don't get me wrong, I've had my moments of "WTF?" when dealing with hipsters in herds, but nothing that incited the kind of hostility in me that I see in others.
Well, except for when one of 'em is holding up traffic, pedaling along in the middle of the road on their fixie...Then they get the door!

Old 03-06-2011, 12:56 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Hipsters bring commerce. Even if they aren't artists themselves (And many are, contrary to your assertion) they are patrons of the arts. They support music, dining, bookstores, retail, etc. You know, the things that make a neighborhood a desirable destination. It seems like your experience with hipsters has been limited to cartoon hipsters and stuffwhitepeoplelike.com (Funny site, BTW)

I honestly don't understand where the hostility towards hipsters comes from. I get that each generation has the obligation to bust the chops of the one that follows them (Damn kids and their rock and roll music, stay off my lawn!) but I know a lot of good, hard working individuals who are hipsters and many defy the generalizations I see heaped on them. To those who would say "Hipsters Keep Out" when it comes to their neighborhoods, I ask you this:
Do you know any hipsters that are on welfare? How often are hipsters in the news for gun violence?
Don't get me wrong, I've had my moments of "WTF?" when dealing with hipsters in herds, but nothing that incited the kind of hostility in me that I see in others.
Well, except for when one of 'em is holding up traffic, pedaling along in the middle of the road on their fixie...Then they get the door!

I think because some may have that whole smug, holier-than-thou thing going on. Like we're trendy and you're just some uptight whitebread.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:38 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
I really hope that last part is sarcasm. Killing people with your car door when they are following the letter of the law is pretty disgusting to even joke about.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:28 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,375,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
I think because some may have that whole smug, holier-than-thou thing going on. Like we're trendy and you're just some uptight whitebread.
I would say that this is the crux of the hate that is directed at the hipster-types.

That, and the fact that a lot of them are really just scenesters, going along for the ride, as these people saw how much fun the true hip crowd was having. Hell, I have even seen some fraternity-crowd types starting to emulate the fashion ideas that has in recent years been attributed to the hip crowd.

Regarding the bike thing - a lot of the "Critical Mass" crowd has really angered a lot of people. Taking over entire streets, and threatening drivers with violence (I have seen this happen many times during the Critical Mass events) is NOT a way to get people to join and support your cause. I have even had bikers intentionally scratch my car, for no reason. The worst part about this, is that I actually support what they stand for, but because I had been in the wrong place at the wrong time, two hipster-bikers singled out my car and dragged their bike handles across the side of my car (this happened back in 2004), while screaming "WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE??"

It is behavior like this, along with the smugness, that causes people to resent the entire group (although I admit, that I like looking at, talking to, and hanging out with most of the hipster crowd in my neighborhood).

Old 03-06-2011, 07:35 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,713 times
Critical Mass can kiss my ...

Old 03-06-2011, 07:41 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
two hipster-bikers singled out my car and dragged their bike handles across the side of my car (this happened back in 2004), while screaming "WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE??"

Tough guy hipsters, eh? I don't think these jaspers know there are people out there that will pop them, evidently they don't run into such people in their crowd. One of these days someone is gonna let loose with a gun on these critical mass knotheads.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 03-06-2011 at 08:10 PM..

Old 03-06-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
I really hope that last part is sarcasm. Killing people with your car door when they are following the letter of the law is pretty disgusting to even joke about.
Yes, of course it was a joke. I thought it was pretty obvious that it was since I had just spent an entire post defending hipsters.
Lighten up. No hipsters were harmed in the making of this joke, I promise.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
I would say that this is the crux of the hate that is directed at the hipster-types.

That, and the fact that a lot of them are really just scenesters, going along for the ride, as these people saw how much fun the true hip crowd was having. Hell, I have even seen some fraternity-crowd types starting to emulate the fashion ideas that has in recent years been attributed to the hip crowd.

Regarding the bike thing - a lot of the "Critical Mass" crowd has really angered a lot of people. Taking over entire streets, and threatening drivers with violence (I have seen this happen many times during the Critical Mass events) is NOT a way to get people to join and support your cause. I have even had bikers intentionally scratch my car, for no reason. The worst part about this, is that I actually support what they stand for, but because I had been in the wrong place at the wrong time, two hipster-bikers singled out my car and dragged their bike handles across the side of my car (this happened back in 2004), while screaming "WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE??"

It is behavior like this, along with the smugness, that causes people to resent the entire group (although I admit, that I like looking at, talking to, and hanging out with most of the hipster crowd in my neighborhood).
I don't get the smug thing so much, really. I am a pretty uncool guy, but the place I often hang out in is a mix of hipsters and some locals, and I get along with everyone pretty well. Of course, there are douchey exceptions, but I don't know if that is necessarily more prevalent in this crowd than any other.
I will say that when the hipster to local ratio goes in favor of the hipsters it makes me feel....OLD (But that's my issue, not theirs)

Old 03-06-2011, 10:27 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,214 times
A bunch of (pretty funny) hipster stereotypes:

Hipster | Cracked.com - StumbleUpon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago