Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 12:08 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,050,539 times

Advertisements

In the 50s and 60s Uptown was known as a Appalachian/hillbilly ghetto. (My father actually spent his high school years around that area during the height during that era)

However later they mostly dispersed and today there is very little today from those days, save Carols Pub, etc.

Where did they disperse to?

Did they disperse throughout Chicagoland?
Did they leave the metro area entirely?
Was there some sort of suburban flight pattern the way that Rogers Park area Jews moved to Skokie and later to Northbrook/Buffalo Grove, or South side Irish moved to Tinley/Orland Park?
Combination of all three?

I know some areas along the lower Des Plaines: Lyons, Summit, Hodgkins, Lemont are areas that can come across as being a bit "hillbyish"

Does anyone know?

Last edited by linicx; 12-27-2010 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 12:33 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,669,717 times
I've pondered that myself. In many cases their children assimilated into the mainstream. And many of the first generation Hillbillys made good and moved away from Uptown.

Note also that many older Hillbillys move back south upon retirement; I've known quite a few that did that.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:17 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,298,337 times
yeah all those old southerners move back down south to die. They hate the cold...

Old 12-26-2010, 01:14 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,307,885 times
The far south suburbs.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:14 AM

955 posts, read 1,822,822 times
I think, some assimilated and many dispersed to outlying suburban areas in no organized manner. The influx of white southerners died off probably because the economic atmosphere in the south improved over the last 30+ years.

After WWII, people came from all over the country (my family included)because the city had jobs. Chicagoland was a manufacturing and industrial giant at that time. Americas "smokestack city". It's no coincidence that the city recorded some of it's highest population numbers during this period.

Incidentally, white southerners were hardly limited to Uptown. They were well represented thruout the city. We had many living in Humboldt/Logan Square/Avondale/Wicker Park.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:35 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,669,717 times
Shouldn't the thread have been titled "To where did Uptown Appalachians disperse?"

Some southerners I know that worked up here in the building trades are now retired and living high on the hog down south on their pensions and the dough they saved.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:52 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,837,771 times
I would go with assimilation, for the ones who stayed. Reading this book "Uptown, Poor Whites in Chicago" (dated 1970) is a real trip - realizing I lived around a considerable amount of these folks in Lake View is a real trip. There's actually a line where one guy reminisces his first apartment in Uptown, on Wellington Ave (!).

But the Lake View kids at least grew up like I did, in a mish-mosh of white ethnics and latinos in flux, and sans the extremely noticeable southern accent some of the adults had. We had a lot of Spanglish going on in the early 80s at least.

Highly recommend this book btw, took me over 3 years to finally have Amazon track a copy down for me, it appears to be long out-of-print which is a shame, as it's largely first-person testimonials of these southern whites trying to organize for better housing and work conditions & I've never read anything like it for that time period.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:55 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,837,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Incidentally, white southerners were hardly limited to Uptown. They were well represented thruout the city. We had many living in Humboldt/Logan Square/Avondale/Wicker Park.
Absolutely. Being poor and white (and that accent) meant you'd get some raised eyebrows, but my friends had family all over the city. I think Uptown gets the attention as they were clustered in fairly high-density housing & also were attracted to the social services. I swear to god that the description one of these fellas has of visiting the Uptown free medical clinic was identical to the experience I had at that clinic in 1994 trying to get a checkup so the Chicago Public Schools would process my work application.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:07 AM

5,951 posts, read 13,050,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I would go with assimilation, for the ones who stayed. Reading this book "Uptown, Poor Whites in Chicago" (dated 1970) is a real trip - realizing I lived around a considerable amount of these folks in Lake View is a real trip. There's actually a line where one guy reminisces his first apartment in Uptown, on Wellington Ave (!).

But the Lake View kids at least grew up like I did, in a mish-mosh of white ethnics and latinos in flux, and sans the extremely noticeable southern accent some of the adults had. We had a lot of Spanglish going on in the early 80s at least.

Highly recommend this book btw, took me over 3 years to finally have Amazon track a copy down for me, it appears to be long out-of-print which is a shame, as it's largely first-person testimonials of these southern whites trying to organize for better housing and work conditions & I've never read anything like it for that time period.
I was reading your response just now at the computer at my local public library, and I decided to check to see if they had it, and they did! It was on the shelf and I'm checking it out and reading it.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:23 AM

955 posts, read 1,822,822 times
One of my first and biggest impressions of southern culture came from the many little diners, grills and greasy spoons that I grew up eating in. These places were abundant in Chi then, and they were most often staffed by fry cooks and waitresses with Dixie roots.

This is where I learned country music from the jukebox and discovered that these folks had normal names, not Jed, Jethro or Otis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago