Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2010, 02:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,722 times

Advertisements

Hello all I am new here!

I was born raised on Chicago's south side in the 100s. I work in Rosemont, IL so I am looking to get my first apartment closer to work.

I would like to be within 10 minutes of the blue line at either stop, Irving Park to Harlem. Can anyone recommend some nice areas around those stops?

I'm about to start looking for something to move into around the middle of March. I hope I can find a one bed room for less than 775. Does anyone have an opinion on MontClare off of Harlem?

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 02:47 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times
You can find an apartment in a better suited area for less than or the same amount as the $775 in Montclare.

The biggest problem with Montclare in your situation is there is no way you are going to get to the Harlem stop on the Blue Line in anywhere close to ten minutes on the bus, unless it is at like 5am. Even then, there is no way 10 minutes is going to happen, it would be more like 15-20. You are kind of at the mercy of the Harlem and Belmont buses in that neighborhood.There are not many apartment buildings in the neighborhood either.

You could go for a neighborhood like Jefferson Park,Irving Park,Portage Park,Norwood Park,O'Hare,Avondale and be in better striking distance to the Blue Line and have more things to do.

Last edited by tonythetuna; 12-28-2010 at 02:57 AM..

Old 12-28-2010, 03:59 AM

122 posts, read 253,066 times
Try the Jefferson park neighborhoods. Possibly the area by Harlem or Higgins, Or you can try the Old Irving park neighborhood which has a blue line near Irving Park and Pulaski.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:08 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default What do you hope to accomplish by moving?

Tony is right, if your goal is to have a very short total commute it ain't going to make sense to be far from a CTA stop. Heck, if just having a short commute is your top priority look at Rosemont and DesPlaines as well as neighborhoods in Chicago-- a short bus ride is still hard to beat.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:42 AM

818 posts, read 2,170,904 times
I don't think Rosemont itself has that many apartment buildings. Seems like it is mostly houses in gated communities, convention centers, and office buildings. If you want to take the CTA to work, I'd look near the Jefferson Park or Harlem stations. You could probably find something in or near your price range there. Cumberland station is in Park Ridge, which tends to be a bit more pricey.
If you don't mind driving, your best bet for a more affordable apartment is probably in Des Plaines.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:23 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
If you want to take the CTA to work, I'd look near the Jefferson Park or Harlem stations. You could probably find something in or near your price range there. Cumberland station is in Park Ridge, which tends to be a bit more pricey.
There are not many apartments really close to the Harlem station (in Norwood Park and Oriole Park.) The most you will find will be in Harwood Heights further south of the station.

The Cumberland station is in Chicago. Park Ridge is on the north side of Higgins. There are not many apartments in Park Ridge.

There are many more apartments near the Cumberland station than the Harlem station.

The most apartments you will find will be in Norridge and the O'Hare neighborhood of Chicago between East River Road and Cumberland and between Bryn Mawr and Lawrence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago