Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 03:46 PM

3 posts, read 3,720 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice on where to live in Chicago. I will be working in Evanston, within walking distance of the Davis CTA/Metra stop. For that reason I would like to find a 1-br apartment on the north side of Chicago close to stations with Purple Line express (or Metra) service, in order to cut down on commuting times.

Anything less than about $1250 would be within my price range. I'd prefer to be in a somewhat lively (but safe) area, in terms of walkability, restaurants, bars, etc. I'm planning to bring my car with me in order to be able to make some weekend trips, though I would definitely not be driving to work.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 04:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
If you're going to be working near the Davis stop... honestly, living right around there would be as good as living in just about any north side neighborhood. In some cases, even better.

What does your $1250/mo budget include? Just rent, or utilities and off-street parking too?

Old 12-30-2010, 06:00 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Yeah, I would say live in Evanston near the Davis stop. There are some nice places there.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:34 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
Just live in Evanston.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:28 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
I would just live in Evanston also if I worked there... you can easily get to the city. Just view Evanston as being in a farther northside neighborhood. You literally go through Rogers Park Chicago, under a bridge and by a grave yard and in Evanston. Plus Evanston is certainly safer than the closer hoods to Evanston such as Edgewater/Rogers Park/Uptown...which are going to be your first 3 off the redline. Not sure where you are coming from in FL but Evanston will likely feel like more of a city than where you were in FL anyhow ...Evanston has a significant amount of bars/restaurants also...

Old 12-30-2010, 08:21 PM

721 posts, read 1,794,399 times
I don't know if I'd live in Evanston. It's a great option, but the purple line express will get you to work in a reasonable amount of time anyway. Really, you can find a place anywhere in between Belmont and the loop (although that's out of your price range).

Old 12-30-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If you're going to be working near the Davis stop... honestly, living right around there would be as good as living in just about any north side neighborhood. In some cases, even better.

What does your $1250/mo budget include? Just rent, or utilities and off-street parking too?
Thanks for your help Drover.

I'm thinking of the $1250 as including rent and heat/gas/water, but not electricity or parking. How much can I expect to pay for off-street parking monthly?

Old 12-30-2010, 09:29 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porteno View Post
How much can I expect to pay for off-street parking monthly?
http://www.cityofevanston.org/parking/lots-garages/

Old 12-30-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Great, thank you!

Old 12-31-2010, 09:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porteno View Post
Thanks for your help Drover.

I'm thinking of the $1250 as including rent and heat/gas/water, but not electricity or parking. How much can I expect to pay for off-street parking monthly?
$1250 should get you a pretty nice one-bedroom and cover everything including basic utilities (not including cable, internet, etc.) When you say "including rent and heat/gas/water," water is almost always included in the rent for apartment units. Cooking gas and electricity are customarily the tenant's responsibility.

Heat can go either way. Many older buildings, particularly those with 4 or more units, have a central boiler/hot-water radiator heating system that heats all of the units. In such buildings, heat will be included in the rent but tenants do not have individual control over the heat in their unit except to shut off some or all of the radiators to keep from getting too hot. I don't know if you've lived in an older building that has a central boiler/hot-water radiator system, but my advice is to avoid them because you never know if you'll wake up to a unit that's 63 degrees or 83 degrees. Some older buildings that used to have a central boiler/radiator system have been retrofitted with more modern forced-air furnaces for each individual unit that the respective tenants can control. In buildings that have been so converted (or were built that way originally), heat is almost always the tenant's responsibility. Even if you don't care whether your unit is heated centrally or individually, just be sure to ask whether or not the rent includes heat and budget accordingly.

Parking is very tight up in that neighborhood. Based on demand in similarly dense north side city neighborhoods, off-street parking would probably run about $200/mo in that particular neighborhood. Since you already have a car, go ahead and bring it. But unless you're rather attached to it, consider the possibility of learning that having a car in a neighborhood this dense will end up being more of a hassle than it's worth; and that you'd be better off using public transportation when you're in town and renting a car when you need a weekend getaway. This possibility will be the case not just for the neighborhood near where you'll be working, but probably any other north side neighborhood you'd be considering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: