Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 10:37 PM

26 posts, read 45,655 times

Advertisements

OK, straight to the details:

Long story short, I've saved up enough money ($1,500) to spend a week in Chicago, but the saddest, most pathetic part of it all is that I don't have any friends to go with me. Why? Because I've pretty much been a loner all my life & I can't seem to attract people....but that's a different story.

I'm a guitarist & I plan on bringing my acoustic guitar with me & 1 bookbag with clothes and stuff. I want to do open mics and just have fun meeting people. Do you think I'm just making a ridiculously DUMB mistake by even thinking about taking this trip alone?

More details:
- I want to make this trip for the summer
- I plan on driving there from Detroit
- I'm going to stay @ the Comfort Inn
- I'm pretty fearful about doing this because I've never been out on my own, but at least I have street smarts!!

Please give me your honest opinions and/or advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 10:42 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,034,911 times
No. I have gone on trips alone and found them rewarding. I will PM you my phone number and send pics of my amazingly hot body. j/k. But seriously, if you want to hang out let me know. I'm 26 and from the south side. I know all about the city. I can show you anything that you want to experience.

On a serious note, stay in the loop and you have nothing to worry about besides a bum/semi-crazy/semi-violent person every half block. You'll be fine during the day but they get more aggressive at night. That's when having a strong Chicago resident like me will come in handy .

I don't think you are stupid for traveling alone. I think you will find it both fun and liberating. Just don't get brainwashed by someone who is only interested in one thing. A lot of people have silver tongues in Chicago. But so did Hitler so take that for what it is worth.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:44 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,746 times
I'm from the Detroit area as well and spent my entire summer alone in Chicago when I was 21. Granted I met people through work and hanging out, but I came there alone and had a complete blast. Going on a trip is different because you'll be there for a shorter time period, but I don't see anything wrong with your plan, especially going in the summer when there will be more activity out and about.

I'm sure the other City Data users will give you some good tips. =)

Old 01-01-2011, 10:46 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ren&stimpy View Post
OK, straight to the details:

Long story short, I've saved up enough money ($1,500) to spend a week in Chicago, but the saddest, most pathetic part of it all is that I don't have any friends to go with me. Why? Because I've pretty much been a loner all my life & I can't seem to attract people....but that's a different story.

I'm a guitarist & I plan on bringing my acoustic guitar with me & 1 bookbag with clothes and stuff. I want to do open mics and just have fun meeting people. Do you think I'm just making a ridiculously DUMB mistake by even thinking about taking this trip alone?

More details:
- I want to make this trip for the summer
- I plan on driving there from Detroit
- I'm going to stay @ the Comfort Inn
- I'm pretty fearful about doing this because I've never been out on my own, but at least I have street smarts!!

Please give me your honest opinions and/or advice
Well, since you are a "city girl", I am more inclined to think you can take care of yourself in the big city than someone who is not used to that kind of environment.

That having been said, there is no way in heck I would do this myself. There are just too many incredibly insane people out there these days. It would not be worth it to me to take the chance. YMMV

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-01-2011, 10:47 PM

Interesting choice of words, Branson.

Why are there more "incredibly insane" people "these days" opposed to yesteryear? I don't know if I agree with that assessment...

Old 01-01-2011, 10:51 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Interesting choice of words, Branson.

Why are there more "incredibly insane" people "these days" opposed to yesteryear? I don't know if I agree with that assessment...
Maybe there aren't. My husband says that the only reason it "seems" like there are is that the media provides this information to us, when heretofore we never knew that some despot in Cleveland sliced and diced 14 coeds. Perhaps this is true, but to me, the world seems more dangerous and violent than it was 50 years ago. Perhaps it is simply my perception, but it's real enough for me to stay home rather than risk tempting fate.

The op has a long live ahead (hopefully). I think there might be a better time for her to enjoy what Chicago has to offer. In safer setting.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-01-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
No. I have gone on trips alone and found them rewarding. I will PM you my phone number and send pics of my amazingly hot body. j/k. But seriously, if you want to hang out let me know. I'm 26 and from the south side....
Thanks for the kind words, but I'm not sure that I can take you up on that offer. Especially, seeing how I just let the world know what will be in my pocket this summer lol! Oh what the hell, you don't care about that...so, ok!

Old 01-01-2011, 10:58 PM

Welp, it's hard to argue with that. Good assessment. About the crazies, that is.

I think she can enjoy chicago just fine provided she has a good amount of life experience to already lean on. She has to realize that every man she meets in chicago that realizes she is from out of town just wants to get in her pants or use her and consume her in more ways than one. If she's down for some intense sexual experiences or goes into it knowing what she wants and what her boundaries are, then she will be perfectly fine. The city is big and prides itself on safety in the loop. I would strongly suggest that she doesn't visit some beatnik/hippie bar in the outskirts of the city with that guitar of hers. She should stay within a 1 mile radius of the loop as neighborhoods quickly change.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
...but to me, the world seems more dangerous and violent than it was 50 years ago.

The op has a long live ahead (hopefully). I think there might be a better time for her to enjoy what Chicago has to offer. In safer setting.

20yrsinBranson
Ok...but if what you're saying IS true, doesn't this mean that even 20 years from now, the world will be even worse? Hmmm.

With that said, I think now would be a good time to visit. Just my thoughts.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:01 PM

And we have to remember that she's coming from Detroit! She knows what danger is, I imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago