Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 04:57 PM

48 posts, read 131,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
You would honestly have to check into the individual program, but right off of the bat, you're almost guaranteed to get a better education at UIC, and obviously, that should be your first priority. I attended NEIU as a grad student, and was able to sit in on undergrad classes as well as TA. With regards to some undergrad liberal arts classes, the professors didn't give a hoot, and were really only concerned with grad classes and their research.
Having some mixed classes between grads and undergrads is routine across the country, including at the very best schools. Also, TAs are normally grad students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 07:20 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,254,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuito View Post
Having some mixed classes between grads and undergrads is routine across the country, including at the very best schools. Also, TAs are normally grad students.
Ok?

Like I said, I was a grad student/ TA. So yeah, I know that most TA's are grad students.

As far as mixed classes go, I see what you're saying. The point I was trying to get across is that there was a marked distinction between the undergrad classes and the grad classes. I mean, it was wildly different. You may say, "duh, of course grad classes and undergrad classes are supposed to be different." But, my undegrad classes at the university I attended weren't far off from my grad classes; just much, much heavier emphasis on theory and research.

Strangely, not a single person I met in my grad program was a graduate of NEIU itself.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:00 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
A lot of grad classes are the same as a 400 level class just with extra research papers, same class, same content, higher course load for the grad students, even at elite schools.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:42 AM

56 posts, read 169,237 times
Thanks so much for responses. I'm visiting Northeastern today, we'll see how it goes. (leaning just going to UIC anyway)

Old 01-04-2011, 01:25 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
I have a BSc and MSc from UIC in Chemistry. I am planning to go back to school this fall to get a degree that will get me an actual decent job MS accounting. I decided on NEIU because it is closer to me and tuition is less. I am pretty much sure my previous degrees are enough to demonstrate "I am smart" (even though going for a science degree was a huge misjudgment). Now I just need to show I am useful.

My main complaint is (and it probably applies to both colleges), is the career offices suck at UIC. They were of no help at all. Also, they spent too much time teaching me academic theory and not enough time teaching me hands on equipment skills which are in many respects more important for my career.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I have a BSc and MSc from UIC in Chemistry. I am planning to go back to school this fall to get a degree that will get me an actual decent job MS accounting. I decided on NEIU because it is closer to me and tuition is less. I am pretty much sure my previous degrees are enough to demonstrate "I am smart" (even though going for a science degree was a huge misjudgment). Now I just need to show I am useful.

My main complaint is (and it probably applies to both colleges), is the career offices suck at UIC. They were of no help at all. Also, they spent too much time teaching me academic theory and not enough time teaching me hands on equipment skills which are in many respects more important for my career.
Hrrm... don't they have an Applied track or something? Those are usually the only ones that teach hands on / equipment stuff. I know they have that route for say Applied Statistics, Economics, etc. why not go for the PhD at this point.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:41 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Hrrm... don't they have an Applied track or something? Those are usually the only ones that teach hands on / equipment stuff. I know they have that route for say Applied Statistics, Economics, etc. why not go for the PhD at this point.
A Ph. D is a worse deal in science. You spend 5-7.5 (probably 3 to 5 with an MS) living off a 15k stipend researching sometimes 12 hours a day and often weekends with teaching interfering. You have about a 50% chance of completing it which is mainly dependent on finding a Primary Investigator that cares about your success and mentors you rather than a lot of them who are in it for themselves. Many PI's see grad students as cheap disposable lab personnel and the universities desperately need English speaking TA's to teach premeds and prepharms undergraduate science.

When you graduate, there is a glut of scientists so you end up post docing for 35k a year no benefits moving all over the country for these temporary contracts while you (often futily) conduct a job search. At this stage many people have their career dead end and end up doing a career change at age 40.

This is why Ph. D. pograms are increasingly populated by noncitizens from China, Korea, India, and E. Europe.

This article sums it up nicely.
Women in Science

Old 01-05-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
A Ph. D is a worse deal in science. You spend 5-7.5 (probably 3 to 5 with an MS) living off a 15k stipend researching sometimes 12 hours a day and often weekends with teaching interfering. You have about a 50% chance of completing it which is mainly dependent on finding a Primary Investigator that cares about your success and mentors you rather than a lot of them who are in it for themselves. Many PI's see grad students as cheap disposable lab personnel and the universities desperately need English speaking TA's to teach premeds and prepharms undergraduate science.

When you graduate, there is a glut of scientists so you end up post docing for 35k a year no benefits moving all over the country for these temporary contracts while you (often futily) conduct a job search. At this stage many people have their career dead end and end up doing a career change at age 40.

This is why Ph. D. pograms are increasingly populated by noncitizens from China, Korea, India, and E. Europe.

This article sums it up nicely.
Women in Science
Yeah my ex is in her 6th now of a program. Should be done in one more... the prof is notorious for keeping them around. She is already looking at post docs as there aren't any good offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago