Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:07 AM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,837 times

Advertisements

This past summer while living in Chicago, my friend took me to Excalibur. It was my first time at a club and I didn't realize that we probably should have brought more than one friend with us. It was almost 3 am and my friend wanted to stay and told me to take a cab ride home. I'm not going to go into details, but I ended up almost being raped by the taxi driver and left the cab to find my way back to Excalibur, which also wasn't the best idea as I had to walk several blocks alone at 3 am.

I didn't know much about cabs at the time, so I thought I'd be fine taking a cab ride alone, but now I'm wondering if this is maybe a common danger for late night/early morning taxi rides when a girl is by herself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 11:26 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,771 times
I don't know of anyone that this has happened too. Taxi's generally have their cab numbers in the back so it's easy to track those drivers.

Also I'm assuming you were in the front of the cab? Next time just sit in the back. The driver can't really attack you from the front.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:35 AM

102 posts, read 332,636 times
That's crazy, and I'm really sorry it happened to you. I know plenty of women who take cabs late at night by themselves, and I've never heard of this happening, so I would say it's definitely not common.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:18 PM

165 posts, read 372,056 times
Yeah I have never heard of this happening either, but nothing surprises me in this world anymore. Glad you are OK.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:41 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,617,107 times
That is an awful story and I am so sorry to hear about it, but, as others here have said, from all I know that's a relative anomaly.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:40 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,740,718 times
You did report it to the taxi company and to the police, didn't you? Do it now, even if it's been a while. Suffering in silence doesn't help other women.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:12 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,167,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
This past summer while living in Chicago, my friend took me to Excalibur. It was my first time at a club and I didn't realize that we probably should have brought more than one friend with us. It was almost 3 am and my friend wanted to stay and told me to take a cab ride home. I'm not going to go into details, but I ended up almost being raped by the taxi driver and left the cab to find my way back to Excalibur, which also wasn't the best idea as I had to walk several blocks alone at 3 am.

I didn't know much about cabs at the time, so I thought I'd be fine taking a cab ride alone, but now I'm wondering if this is maybe a common danger for late night/early morning taxi rides when a girl is by herself?
You're normally fine. The chances of that happening again are very slim. I've never known anyone who's experienced that, but I have occasionally read press reports of similar things when they've been reported. I have known women who have been leered at by drivers, but the line between leering and touching is pretty bold.

I strongly recommend that if that ever happens to you (or anyone reading this) again, you note the number of the cab and call 911 IMMEDIATELY as soon as you've found a safe place. The police do take that sort of thing very seriously. If the driver doesn't touch you, but makes you very uncomfortable, I would recommend noting the number of the cab and following through on a complaint with the Taxi Commission.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:03 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
Wow, I've known dozens of women who have taken cabs home EXTREEEEMELY drunk - and nothing even remotely strange has ever happened.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:34 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,837 times
Thanks everyone for your responses. I didn't report it because of mixed feelings at the time (embarrassment was one of them) and now since it's been a while and no rape actually took place, I don't think it'd be worth reporting, plus I don't remember his cab number. If this ever did happen again (which hopefully it never will), I'll report it.

I was sitting in the back, but then he told me to sit in the front and I was just very naive (and a little drunk) at the time and I wasn't thinking clearly. He also didn't turn his meter on, which should have been a warning sign, since I asked him to take me to Evanston and that's a lot of miles. (Whew that would've been an expensive cab ride, another reason I'm glad that I went back to my friend.)

Last edited by CoolSocks; 01-05-2011 at 04:10 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 03:37 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,617,107 times
^Damn that's scary. Sometimes I really freakin' hate people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago