Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:44 AM

11 posts, read 19,991 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I will soon move to Chicago area as I will start a job at the Northwestern Univ.
I would like to live in the city to get the taste of Chicago (good bars etc...). Areas i looked at were Lakeview and Uptown. Google maps says that everyday commute to the Northwestern campus using public transport (red followed by purple line) would take ca. 40 minutes. Is that realistic (assuming I find a place close to a red line stop)?

Also, how is it with safety in those areas? I am asking about serious issues with safety and not about a few kids running in the streets and breaking glass bottles (yeah, i have seen the "gang fight in Uptown video"). Say, i walk home from a bar around Lawrence stop after midnight and home is on W Argyle. Do I worry that I get beaten up by a bunch of guys, have a gun pointed at me or worse?

Finally, do I need a car in Chicago?

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 12:05 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
If you are in NW you might want to consider the areas around Ravenswood/North/Clybourn/Rogers Park/West Loop as well as you can connect on METRA. Evanston to Ravenswood is 8 minutes, Evanston to Clybourn is 14, Evanston to the Loop is 23. Those areas are generally safer than Lawrence/Argyle...I personally avoid the Lawrence/Wilson stops late at night. There was just a crime scene there middle of the day by Wilson yesterday w/ 5 cop cars blocking the parking lot and a store front taped up w/ police tape across the street from the college there.
You don't need a car, though its sometimes a nice to have.
You should also just consider living in Evanston then commuting to Chicago when you want...

Last edited by grapico; 01-05-2011 at 12:14 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 03:26 PM

209 posts, read 590,235 times
The Belmont el stop is in west Lakeview, which you mentioned as a possible place to live. The Purple Line runs express during rush hours from Belmont to Howard (the Chicago/Evanston border) and local into Evanston from there. I've never done this trip, but I doubt it would be more than 30 minutes. All of Lakeview is very safe by big city standards.

The idea of living near a Metra stop is a good one for purposes of commuting to Evanston, but living in one of those areas might mean you need to rely on a car or deal with buses to get around to other parts of the city. Metra trains don't have as many stops as the el, so they're not great for getting around the city. The el lines are generally not very close to the Metra lines, so you either live near one or the other.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:37 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J View Post
The Belmont el stop is in west Lakeview
It is?

Old 01-05-2011, 04:50 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,196,783 times
I've always considered the Belmont El stop to be East Lakeview. What do most folks consider the divider between east/west Lakeview?

Just found a link for West Lakeview Neighbors Association that clarifies: http://www.wlvn.org/

Old 01-05-2011, 04:54 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
What do most folks consider the divider between east/west Lakeview?
It depends. But Southport is pretty much it.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J View Post
The Belmont el stop is in west Lakeview, which you mentioned as a possible place to live. The Purple Line runs express during rush hours from Belmont to Howard (the Chicago/Evanston border) and local into Evanston from there. I've never done this trip, but I doubt it would be more than 30 minutes. All of Lakeview is very safe by big city standards.

The idea of living near a Metra stop is a good one for purposes of commuting to Evanston, but living in one of those areas might mean you need to rely on a car or deal with buses to get around to other parts of the city. Metra trains don't have as many stops as the el, so they're not great for getting around the city. The el lines are generally not very close to the Metra lines, so you either live near one or the other.
The areas I suggested also have access to the EL, Metra is just faster than the EL

Old 01-05-2011, 10:29 PM

51 posts, read 80,958 times
So you saw the gangfight in uptown video huh, well that's up town for you that wasn't just some fluke. Personally i use to ride my bike through up town all the time late at night and never had a problem. Most Gang members wont mess with whitie because its a god way to get the cops down their backs and fast. But honestly uptown has great looking buildings and was once the theater center of Chicago but its not to up any more. My Wifes old boss saw some guy get shot in the face from his apartment window.... they tried to improve uptown but since the economic down fall its resorted back to what it was a few years ago. The ravenswood metra is close to lincoln square, ravens wood, and another. I use to do the drive to evanston north shore area everyday for work. It took me about 20mins some time 40 if i dragged my heels and hit traffic. You could bike it under an hour.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:37 AM

11 posts, read 19,991 times
Thanks guys!
So how about living in Evanston? Would it be an okay place to live for a single 33 yo guy who likes good beer, latin dancing and meeting new people?
Cheers

Old 01-06-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal M View Post
Thanks guys!
So how about living in Evanston? Would it be an okay place to live for a single 33 yo guy who likes good beer, latin dancing and meeting new people?
Cheers
Living in Evanston would be fine, its nice, safe, a bit yuppie in some places... but overall fine esp if you are working there. Getting in and out of Chicago at least along the red line should not be an issue. It's really what you want, would you rather walk to work, then go out when you need to and have it a bit more quiet most of the time? Or live in Chicago and commute to work then go out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago