Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 01:34 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times

Advertisements

It's the real estate prices that make Chicago a comparitive bargain, without a doubt.

But for what it's worth newyorkobserveher, I wouldn't bet money that the rise in income tax is a temporary measure -- things like that have a way of becoming permanent. The state's gotta raise revenue somehow, and they're running out of things to privatize. The 3% flat income tax was one of the few low tax things about Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 03:46 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Hi troll. Nice name.
11.5% sales tax, huh? From which place did that number come? Maybe they gives trolls the special 1.75% extra "troll tax."

And yes, the new income tax (when passed) will not be temporary. I'll eat my words if it turns out to be. It still is better for me here than in Mass., NY or CA, though.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:08 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
11.5% sales tax, huh? From which place did that number come? Maybe they gives trolls the special 1.75% extra "troll tax."

And yes, the new income tax (when passed) will not be temporary. I'll eat my words if it turns out to be. It still is better for me here than in Mass., NY or CA, though.
Yes they have to pay that tax at the IL highway booths, otherwise known as the the Troll Toll.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:39 PM

491 posts, read 1,120,951 times
Is this a real question? Can two people live on $120K in a rented one bedroom?

Look up some rents and do the math!

Old 01-07-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonesdef View Post
Hipsters spread like the plague, they come in unstoppable massive hordes of rent razing gentrification.

and oh how about 2 months ago (im on vacay so i'll be back soon)
Yeah, keeps it real in West Logan Square!!!

Are you crazy?

If anything with the economic crash places like Logan Square are in danger of losing whatever investments were made before 2007.

And don't act like it used to be "cooler" back in the day unless you're a poor Puerto Rican because those are the only people who lived in that neighborhood from the 80s-2000s and many if not most of them would tell you it was a nasty place.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:43 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
Is this a real question? Can two people live on $120K in a rented one bedroom?

Look up some rents and do the math!
Read the whole thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkobserveher View Post
So it's entirely feasible for TWO people to live comfortably on 60k a year? I can't even believe that!

NY really makes you jaded. Such a pity you can't be middle class here anymore...

Old 01-08-2011, 09:59 AM

I was responding to the initial question. Why would I read the whole thread.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:12 AM

You don't find the idea of people complaining about gentrification in Logan Square a little funny?

I know a guy who grew up there in the 80s-90s and have listened to him talk about it extensively and it was a very, very rough neighborhood, with gangs, drugs and crime in general running rampant.

So yeah I find the idea of people bitching about Starbucks moving in ludicrous.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:21 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
You don't find the idea of people complaining about gentrification in Logan Square a little funny?

I know a guy who grew up there in the 80s-90s and have listened to him talk about it extensively and it was a very, very rough neighborhood, with gangs, drugs and crime in general running rampant.

So yeah I find the idea of people bitching about Starbucks moving in ludicrous.
I don't think they are bitching about anybody moving in, Starbucks yes... If you want to call them hipsters, OK. But real hipsters I almost guarantee you won't be caught drinking starbucks and prefer local coffee shops. Starbucks can effectively move in, take a loss for a decade, get passers by, get customers where the other shops won't stay open so late b/c they are trying to make a living, etc.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:26 AM

Well this kid in particular had a great deal of resentment because people "like him"--blue collar and working poor whites--were essentially pushed out of the neighborhood by hispanics. They also felt that they lost their neighborhood. And from a kid's point of view, at least to hear him tell it, it wasn't all Rainbow Coalition: Puerto Rican gangs bullied him out of high school, and, yes, it was because he was white.

So he in particular was actually looking forward to the yuppies forcing out the people who had forced him out.

But that was just one guy's take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago