Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 02:13 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,148,100 times

Advertisements

Hello City Data folks!

We (the husband and I, ages 32 and 29) will be visiting your great city in late March, from from Saturday to Tuesday. I'd like your input on activities and sightseeing. We already have purchased the hop on hop off tour tickets and a half day Chicago sightseeing tour (we got these through some airline miles) and we are staying at the Doubletree magnificent mile.
Looking for ideas on other events/experiences we should not miss? We like cultural activities (museums) and we will not do any shopping or visiting dancing clubs or bars but we would like to experience good food nearby our hotel at a reasonable price.

Thank in advance for all your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 02:59 PM

45,299 posts, read 26,560,959 times
Art Institute, Field Museum, Museum of Science and Industry, and the Adler Planetarium are all stand-bys and (in my opinion) well worth the price of admission.
Wear comfortable shoes!

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 01-07-2011 at 04:10 PM..

Old 01-07-2011, 03:53 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,206,648 times
skeet09. You are staying at a perfect location in the absolute heart of things. If the weather is nice, I would suggest the Lincoln Park Zoo which is less than a 10.00 cab ride from your location (or you can take the number 151 bus northbound on Michigan Avenue and get off directly in front of the zoo). Check the website for the zoo.

Also, you might enjoy one of the river cruises. I just checked and the official Chicago Architecture Foundation boat tours don't start until April. However, there are several other boat companies and I bet some start in March. Your hotels concierge desk can arrange it. The river is really cool as it winds right through the heart of the Loop/city and you can see lots of landmarks.

Also, I would go to the observation deck at the top of the John Hancock Center on N Michigan Avenue (or, if you prefer, the one atop the Sears (now called Willis) Tower. Both are great.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Art Institute, Field Museum, Museum of Science and Industry, and the Adler Planitarium are all stand-bys and (in my opinion) well worth the price of admission.
Wear comfortable shoes!
Checked out the websites and I loved the Adler Planetarium! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
Also, you might enjoy one of the river cruises. I just checked and the official Chicago Architecture Foundation boat tours don't start until April. However, there are several other boat companies and I bet some start in March. Your hotels concierge desk can arrange it. The river is really cool as it winds right through the heart of the Loop/city and you can see lots of landmarks.
Love the river cruise idea; thank you for checking for me! I will check online because sometimes there is a discount for buying tickets online in advance.

Quote:
Also, I would go to the observation deck at the top of the John Hancock Center on N Michigan Avenue (or, if you prefer, the one atop the Sears (now called Willis) Tower. Both are great.
I like this too!

I will be sure to update the thread with my experiences.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:16 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,206,648 times
There are so many restaurants I don't know where to start. However, if you enjoy Greek food we have a really fun Greek Town with 5 or 6 fun restaurants. My favorite is Greek Islands. It is totally casual (jeans are fine) and a big bustling place with lots of different rooms and reasonable prices. You would need to take a cab from your hotel but it would probably only be about 7 or 8 bucks (and less than a 10 minute ride). Here is a link to some info: Greektown Chicago

Old 01-07-2011, 11:26 PM

491 posts, read 1,124,171 times
Few things I would do: They have an ice rink at the top of the Hancock now. Check it out. I would, for one dinner, get out of downtown and see a neighborhood, so do dinner at Bistro Campagne in Lincoln Square or maybe La Scarola on Grand Boulevard. (Respectively old German and Italian neighborhoods. Lincoln Square is super cute; Grand kinda gritty but the food at LS is great...kind of like an authentic restaurant you might find in an old Italian section of Brooklyn.) Check out the new Modern Wing at the Art Institute.

DON'T go see FANTASEA at the Shedd as it is marketed toward children. (Got duped recently.)

Get a drink at the Sig Room Bar at the top of the Hancock because you can buy a drink for the same price as admission to the observatory deck at the Sears Tower : )

Get a drink in the Palm Court at the Drake or the old Cape Cod Room.

Go down to the lake Oak Street Beach just to check it out for a minute even if it's cold.

And yeah the Lincoln Park Zoo is beautiful all winter even with the nature walk. I like to go up there with my GF, take a walk and then hit a bar on Clark St. for a drink afterward. Perfect Saturday.

If it's open take the Water Taxi from Michigan and the River to Tom Ping Park in Chinatown and get lunch at Lao Schez Chuan or Lao Shang Hai and walk around the cool stores.

Definitely take the Wendella River Cruise if it's open.

If it's open the Tall Ship Windy off navy pier also has a nice tour but last time I checked all the rides had seemed to be changed to pirate themed which is weird!

And I'm in the minority but I think the Untouchables Tour (corny bus mob tour) that leaves from the old rock and roll mcdonald's is kinda cool if you're into that kind of thing.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
However, if you enjoy Greek food we have a really fun Greek Town with 5 or 6 fun restaurants. My favorite is Greek Islands
Didn't know about Chicago having a Greek area. Thanks for link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
And I'm in the minority but I think the Untouchables Tour (corny bus mob tour) that leaves from the old rock and roll mcdonald's is kinda cool if you're into that kind of thing.
This sounds totally cool!

Old 01-08-2011, 08:56 PM

7 posts, read 9,431 times
I would recommended seeing the CSO while in town. Its internationally known and in the top 5 internationally for symphony orchestras.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: