Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 04:32 PM

39 posts, read 75,902 times

Advertisements

It seems Chicago has a pretty diverse job market within the loop area, according to what I've seen and this link About | World Business Chicago | Economic Development, Chicago, Illinois.

How does everyone see the future of Chicago in the white collar sense? I understand Chicago has always been known to be blue collar and that's fading out, I know this and I'm not interested in discussing it. I love this city and plan to move here soon but I'm in my mid 20's and want a successful career. I'm becoming a bit nervous, do you think a hike like this will hurt white collar businesses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 04:50 PM

126 posts, read 335,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettaJetta View Post
How does everyone see the future of Chicago in the white collar sense? I understand Chicago has always been known to be blue collar and that's fading out, I know this and I'm not interested in discussing it. I love this city and plan to move here soon but I'm in my mid 20's and want a successful career. I'm becoming a bit nervous, do you think a hike like this will hurt white collar businesses?
There's really no good reason why a million people have to commute for two hours each day on the slow-as-molasses Dan Ryan, Eisenhower or the Kennedy to work in or near the Loop for white collar jobs that could just as easily be completed in South Bend, Indiana.

These tax increases make that idiocy even clearer. It's one thing if those tax increases went to real infrastructure improvements that will increase aggregate economic efficiency. But we all know that's not the case here.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:09 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times
Quote:
I'm becoming a bit nervous, do you think a hike like this will hurt white collar businesses?
Do they not teach this in college anymore?

Old 01-12-2011, 06:44 PM

I guess asking if it will hurt businesses was a stupid question on my part. I guess I should have asked, how severe do you think a hike like this would be?

Old 01-12-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I guess I should have asked, how severe do you think a hike like this would be?
Well they are pretty much doubling the corporate tax rate, I would say that is not good.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:11 PM

126 posts, read 335,564 times
Double whammy for businesses: a huge tax increase on them and on their customers (lower revenue).

I'm praying we don't become West Detroit. All we need now are Harold Washington II and some race riots to bake in the cake.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james011 View Post
Double whammy for businesses: a huge tax increase on them and on their customers (lower revenue).

I'm praying we don't become West Detroit. All we need now are some race riots to bake in the cake.

Exactly, these taxes on business will even raise how much people pay for a beer at a bar, as if the prices in most bars are not high enough already.

Sales tax revenue will drop as corporate and individual taxes rise.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:17 PM

They are also pushing away potential business owners and well educated people. I was reading how these taxes are only temporary, I don't believe that for a second. I've experienced my first account of Illinois government corruption and I haven't even moved there yet!

Old 01-12-2011, 07:31 PM

Check this out:

"The new corporate tax rate would bring the total percentage Illinois corporations pay on income, including a separate personal property replacement tax, to 9.5%, one of the highest in the nation.That would make the corporate income-tax rate in Illinois the third-highest in the country when combined with an assumed 35% federal corporate income tax, following Pennsylvania and Minnesota, said Scott Hodge, president of the Tax Foundation, a conservative-leaning Washington research outfit. Illinois currently ranks 21."

Illinois's Tax Increase Has Business Fuming, Neighbors Courting - WSJ.com

Old 01-13-2011, 07:15 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Even Mayor Daley said to watch for a mass exodus of businesses in wake of this corporate tax hike. Way to go idiots in Springfield.

The governor of Indiana was basically laughing at us and said that we are akin to the dysfunctional "Simpsons" family down the block. He's also welcoming any and all businesses to his state with open arms.

Daley says tax increase will send businesses out of state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago