Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 01:52 AM

143 posts, read 438,539 times

Advertisements

10 Must Visit Cities In The United States

Even seattle is on there, but not chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 02:03 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,301,484 times
Who cares really? There are like 1000 sources for various lists like this. If Chicago does not make one, I am sure everyone in Chicago can deal with it. That site seems to be pretty amateurish anyway. By the way that list was published at least 2 years ago.

Last edited by tonythetuna; 01-13-2011 at 02:12 AM..

Old 01-13-2011, 01:26 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,036,094 times
I know I'm going to get blasted here. I'm going start running and hiding from the regular poster right now.

Considering that to many people, I have a mission to make Chicago look average.

Chicago maybe in my opinion is a better city to be from and to return to than any of those on the list.

But seriously, as great of a city that Chicago is, theres little that is so truly unique about it, that can't be found in New York.

Regardless of how world class Chicago is, the things that can only be experienced here is rather limited. Remember its MUST VISIT, not cities where you get the most for your money.

Boston has its history and universities.
D.C. has the government, museums, attractions for tourists that can't be found anywhere else
LA has everything entertainment/Hollywood
San Diego has the absolute most pardise-like climate. Without the smog of LA.
Seattle has the "rock climbing/skiing/mountain biking, coffee drinking, computer nerd culture that is truly unique.
San Francisco and New York well they don't need explaining.
Orlando has Disneyworld. (Yes we know we couldn't pay you to go there).
Las Vegas and Miami have the party scene.

The Art Institute is among the nations greatest art museums. But is there anything about that distinguished it from the Met or whatever?
The architecture is great, beautiful to look at. But individually the buildings themselves all have counterparts in other cities.
Wrigley Field is a stadium, with bars you can drink at, with public transportation to bring you home safely, But doesn't Fenway in Boston have that too? I can go on.

Chicago is a better city to be from, to live in, to return to, than to visit if you don't live in the midwest.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:43 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,289,458 times
what the heck is "hubpages"? these lists tend to be idiotic in general, but this list in particular seems to be lacking overall. the poll at the bottom doesn't even make sense (does "must visit"="most beautiful"?). the list neglected vast swaths of the country (Midwest, including Chicago, the southeast, including some very pretty antebellum architecture and NOLA, the southwest, etc)

Old 01-13-2011, 01:45 PM

483 posts, read 1,215,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
But seriously, as great of a city that Chicago is, theres little that is so truly unique about it, that can't be found in New York.
So you get almost everything New York offers, at a fraction of the price? Sounds like a good deal to me.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:51 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,835,965 times
That list is obviously the opinion of the guy who wrote it. I wouldn't give it two seconds of concern.

These "lists" are meaningless. What is important to one person might be uninteresting to the next.

I could make my own list of must-see cities and it won't look anything like that one. Hint: My list has Detroit on it. See what I mean? It almost as credible as that guy's is, the only difference is I don't have a blog to talk about it.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:46 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,301,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I know I'm going to get blasted here.
Did you come up with the stupid list that the OP posted? If you think Chicago is so average,not worth visiting ,and not very unique, why do you post in this forum?

Old 01-13-2011, 09:07 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,387,277 times
Lets see...

in no order.

Top 3 Skyline in world.
Tallest building in North America.
Top 3 Restaurant city in U.S., only 3 with a Michelin Guide.
Gangster history, on one hand people know all about it? now they don't?
Greatest basketball player of all time/statue/united center.
Best Natural History Museum in U.S.
Best Science Museum in U.S.
Top 3-4 Art Museum in U.S. (largest impressionist collection outside of the Louvre)
Number one orchestra in the United States
Immigrant history.
The city mod cut burned down.
The current president of U.S. is from Chicago
A guy called Abraham Lincoln is also from around here.
Skyscraper was invented here, many key classic buildings are in Chicago.
Very easy to get around once you are here.
Plenty of high end hotels to stay at.
Jazz
Blues
Soul
Gospel
House
Indie
epicenters
largest food festival in the world
Joffrey Ballet
Pitchfork
Lollapalooza
It's the 2nd largest "city" in the country.
No other great lake cities? Great Lakes are pretty important and unique, much more so than a "beach"
Improv
One of the five major world marathons.
The novels of Sandburg, Bellow, Sinclair all set here.

uhh and it isn't a mini New York. Is Munich a mini Berlin? Is Barcelona a mini Madrid? :/

So if anything like that is your interest, then Chicago should probably be a Top 5 city.

Last edited by linicx; 01-30-2011 at 02:39 AM..

Old 01-13-2011, 09:15 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,387,277 times
For fun I will break down your list, if Chicago is just stuff you can get in NYC, then so are the other cities.

Boston has its history and universities. (Chicago has history, most of the other cities on your list don't have that much, if history is a factor for said tourist, Chicago is definitely a must. Universities? What, are they going to enroll in a class at Harvard on their visit?)
D.C. has the government, museums, attractions for tourists that can't be found anywhere else (Are they going to go into Congress and start debating? Museums. If Museums are a fancy of said tourist, then Chicago is a must in the U.S. context for Museums. Again the logic to go to DC for museums and attractions is JUST as relevant as Chicago)
LA has everything entertainment/Hollywood (Well they have Hollywood, but not everything entertainment, most of other said entertainment could be found (and better) in NYC)
San Diego has the absolute most pardise-like climate. Without the smog of LA. (So they are visiting a climate now, what happened to the city?)
Seattle has the "rock climbing/skiing/mountain biking, coffee drinking, computer nerd culture that is truly unique. (Computer nerd culture? I guess San Jose is going to be top 10 also. Mountain biking, skiing and rock climbing? In Seattle? They might as well go to the actual Rocky Mountains and get a hot cocoa if that is all that is there)
San Francisco and New York well they don't need explaining. (Why not, everything in SF can be found in NYC (Chinatown, Central Park, better museums) everything except a view and a few trollies?)
Orlando has Disneyworld. (Yes we know we couldn't pay you to go there) Anaheim has Disneyland, Tampa has Busch Gardens, and don't forget all the Nation's great six flags)
Las Vegas and Miami have the party scene. (The party scene is arguably still better, and no doubt more options in New York, why would they go to Vegas miami for drinks and dancing)

The Art Institute is among the nations greatest art museums. But is there anything about that distinguished it from the Met or whatever?
Yes. You'd actually have to know a bit about art.
The architecture is great, beautiful to look at. But individually the buildings themselves all have counterparts in other cities.
No, you'd have to actually know a bit about architecture.
Wrigley Field is a stadium, with bars you can drink at, with public transportation to bring you home safely, But doesn't Fenway in Boston have that too? I can go on.
I wouldn't list Wrigley as an attraction and I didn't above. You said the reason being that NYC had that, not Boston...

I'm not from the Midwest and I definitely disagree on your points, and I've been to every major city in the U.S., at least the top 50 or so. As I stated above, I'd put Chicago on the must see in the top 5.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:53 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,409,891 times
Chicago is not so unique compared to other US cities, and doesn't offer nearly as much flash and tourist pizazz as other US cities. I love it for what it is regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago