Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 09:59 AM

491 posts, read 1,121,385 times

Advertisements

I could be wrong but my impression was that they are both more expensive than most colleges and close to impossible to get into. Like $25K a year plus.

I read a story in a magazine last year on admission to schools like this downtown and the competition is so fierce between the uber wealthy, legacies, people who've been on waiting lists since their kids were in embryo, etc., it was shocking. And I went to an Ivy-caliber college.

But I have no first hand experience.

I went to a working class Catholic schools with 2K yearly tuition : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 11:59 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
I could be wrong but my impression was that they are both more expensive than most colleges and close to impossible to get into. Like $25K a year plus.

I read a story in a magazine last year on admission to schools like this downtown and the competition is so fierce between the uber wealthy, legacies, people who've been on waiting lists since their kids were in embryo, etc., it was shocking. And I went to an Ivy-caliber college.

But I have no first hand experience.

I went to a working class Catholic schools with 2K yearly tuition : )
Each school posts its tuition levels on the website. They're both in the $21-25K range through 5th grade and more like $25-28K from grades 6-12. That's a rough guide. Supposedly, there is a LOT of pressure to donate, so families paying cash (i.e. no financial aid) can expect an annual cost of about $30K/child (though you cannot be forced to donate).

There are many applicants given priority: siblings of current students, children of employees, children of alumni, etc. Thus, it's very hard to get in as a totally unaffiliated applicant. Throw in the advantage of a donation and it's even harder. With the large state income tax increase in IL, the real estate tax hikes in Chicago and the never ending tuition hikes at these schools (which are already high to begin with), one would think that the competition for spots at these schools might dip a bit. That said, I don't think the data suggests that this is happening (at least thus far).

Old 01-16-2011, 12:04 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Surprisingly, Parker's College Placement is (almost) as good as Latin's

I don' think there's anything surprising about this at all. Both schools take smart kids to start with, which is key. Otherwise its a matter of 'fit'. Some kids will do better in a traditional atmosphere, some in a progressive one. Put a kid in an atmosphere that's wrong for her and she will suffer. Both schools also have the option of discharging kids who don't thrive, which makes the college outcomes look better. That's why I say the OP should go with the school that fits her daughter's temperment.
I didn't mean this as a knock to FWP. It's just that I wouldn't expect their grads to gain acceptance to the most selective Universities as often as the graduates of Latin (which, from what I know, HEAVILY emphasizes grades, Academics, rigorous courses, high test scores, etc.) I get the sense Latin is in the business of getting its students into the best Colleges, while Parker tries to nurture its students as individuals and productive citizens (not necessarily Ivy League graduates).

When I saw that FWP's College placement list was about as good as Latin, I personally was a bit surprised. I didn't attend either, but this was my take.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,618 times
I go to Latin and its not cut-throat at all, people are competitive but, only if you make it competitive. Its a great community and the teacher to student relationship is amazing.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:41 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
Brother Rice is a pretty good high school on the south side. It's a larger high school though, with a 2008 enrollment of around 1200 students. When I went there it was about that high or more. A lot of the students are in AP courses and there's a pretty good record of admission to college, something like 92% or more. I don't know the rate admitted to tier I colleges, but I do know a fair number of my former classmates became lawyers, engineers, scientists, and skilled tradesmen.

The only downside is that it is an all male high school (albeit with a larger all-girls school next door), it is Roman Catholic and you are required to take four years of theology. So if having a single-sex high school or a religious school are not your idea of a good environment then it's probably not for you. However, if your kid has the potential to excel academically, from my own experience it is a great place to go, and the Christian Brothers work hard to teach kids and the other teachers do too, at least when I was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: