Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 08:41 PM

3 posts, read 4,724 times

Advertisements

I have been accepted to both Ohio State and DePaul as a finance major, and am currently in the final process of deciding. I know based strictly on ranking this may seem an easy decision as osu is 14th ranked by USWNR, but DePaul, from what I've seen is also reputable (ranked 40 by businessweek). Having said that, based on the recruitment and job placement stats of the two schools I see that DePaul places very well with the big 4 and other reputable firms. Also at DePaul I would be eligible for the finance honors program which too places well from what I hear. Would going to DePaul be the wrong move here, or will my career be ultimately unaffected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 09:00 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,460,359 times
DePaul has a very solid REGIONAL presence in a VERY VERY VERY important REGION -- if you wanna work in Chicago or a major firm HQ'd here it is an easy choice.

OSU is a perfectly acceptable Big 10 U in what is arguably the second most devasted state to have a Big 10 school. On campus recruiting is not going to be anything like it was when Ohio had many more "regional money center" banks and Fortune 1000 firms... (but it still would not be as awful as say Michigan State ;^\ )

Last edited by chet everett; 04-28-2011 at 09:17 PM..

Old 04-28-2011, 09:03 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,543,290 times
probably unaffected, it isn't like you are going to an Ivy vs Public State. If you know you want to be around Chicago, Depaul is a good choice. If you want a more college town experience, obviously, ohio state.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:08 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,219,898 times
The opportunities for good internships during the school year is much better at DePaul. And as Chet said, it has many more connections to national or regional corporate HQ's. Otherwise, both are good schools.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:30 PM

27 posts, read 37,273 times
I started out my college career at OSU, but moved back home and graduated from DePaul. I agree with what the others have said about DePaul looking good on resumes if you want to stay in Chicago for a job. Really, either are great schools.

Have you visited both campuses? OSU is HUGE- 60,000 undergrads. The campus is huge, High Street is fun, the football is a blast, and you'll get a true blue "college" experience. DePaul is right in Lincoln Park in Chicago and has much more of a "city" feel. There is no main college street with bars and shops, for instance... it's just Chicago streets. It largely depends on what you're looking for (and remember you can always change your mind, even after you start at one school!).

Remember that DePaul is private and more expensive as well. I'm still paying off loans, but it was worth it. DePaul has consistently been ranked as a school with some of the happiest students in the country. I got a great education there.

Academically speaking, they are both great schools and I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:39 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,341,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach9 View Post
I have been accepted to both Ohio State and DePaul as a finance major, and am currently in the final process of deciding. I know based strictly on ranking this may seem an easy decision as osu is 14th ranked by USWNR, but DePaul, from what I've seen is also reputable (ranked 40 by businessweek). Having said that, based on the recruitment and job placement stats of the two schools I see that DePaul places very well with the big 4 and other reputable firms. Also at DePaul I would be eligible for the finance honors program which too places well from what I hear. Would going to DePaul be the wrong move here, or will my career be ultimately unaffected?
I don't think DePaul would be wrong, but the question is whether it's worth the ~ $80-90K more that it would cost than OSU over 4 years.

Do you know how much you'd have to borrow at each school? If there is a significant difference, my recommendation would be stick with OSU.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:42 PM

838 posts, read 3,099,531 times
Neither! RE-APPLY, and try to get into Wharton!

Quote:

Old 04-29-2011, 01:10 AM

3 posts, read 4,724 times
^^haha, I wish. Both schools will cost almost exactly the same after scholarships, so money isnt really an issue.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:19 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,065,502 times
Obviously Ohio State will have better name recognition nationally, so if you want to get a job outside of Chicago it's probably a better choice for you. If you want to be in Chicago, which obviously is a big finance hub, DePaul is a good choice too. It's a well respected school in the area and you wont suffer by going there.

Beyond that, do you want to go to college in a city, or have the traditional campus/college life experience at a huge university? They are two very different experiences.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:31 AM

320 posts, read 955,873 times
Quote:
I'm a DePaul finance grad. The reputation goes beyond Chicago. My classmates have jobs in finance in NYC, Singapore, Seattle, and Miami, as well as Minneapolis, Chicago, and Indy.

If you go to school there, you won't have the typical college experience....Saturday's are spent playing intramural football instead of watching the school team. However, it is also very fun to be 18-21 in Lincoln Park. Greek life is almost non-existent (there are a few frats, but participation percentage is in the single digits), so if you are looking for that, OSU might be the better choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago