Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:55 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
Here's my situation. I have moved to Chicago but temporarily staying with a relative until I find my own place. I will be working at the Merchandise Mart downtown which is right along the brown line. I'm a single mid-20's professional male who is eventually going to go to grad school (not sure which school yet). I have seen the Lincoln Park and Lakeview neighborhoods and really liked them. I've decided the maximum rent I'm willing to pay is $1300. I could probably afford a little more, but I don't want to. I was looking at what I could get for $1300 in other areas such as Wicker Park and Bucktown and seems like I would get a lot more for what I pay there. However, it would be more inconvenient commuting to the Merchandise Mart from there via the El train. After commuting to my last job for 30 minutes to and from work every day, commuting is an important factor to me. I want to be able to get there within 15 minutes.

Basically I'm looking for a pretty nice 1-bedroom place that has an updated kitchen and bathroom, parking available (I'm well aware of the parking situation in those neighborhoods), laundry in the building somewhere, and within walking (or biking) distance to the brown line. Is $1300 a reasonable price for all of this? I'm thinking part of the trouble I'm having is that I'm looking at a bad time of the year.
Yeah, this is sort of a tough time to find something due to the limited selection, but there are apartments out there still. The good ones go fast. I had been listing a 2 bed, 1 bath condo in Wicker Park in a great location and within the first 2 days I had 8 showings and 3 applications. So, just be ready to move on something as soon as you find what fits your needs.

I don't think you should rule out Bucktown/Wicker Park though. You'll save money on parking, definitely, because street parking is actually an option in those neighborhoods and the Clark and Lake stop on the blue line is only a few blocks from the Merchandise Mart. That stop is closer to where you're working than Washington stop is to my office and I've survived... Walking in downtown Chicago is pleasant; everything seems to always be shoveled/salted and it's just not the same as walking in a residential area where those things probably aren't being done by everyone. That's my opinion anyway. If you can find a place you like in Bucktown, why not try it out? You can always move to Lincoln Park next year if you hate it and the commute from Bucktown is a heck of a lot shorter than the commute from Naperville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 11:33 AM

15 posts, read 47,137 times
I agree... dont rule out Bucktown/Wicker Park! They are fabulous neighborhoods... very trendy and much less expensive.

I also am moving to the city, and we must have a car for my husband's commute, so parking is a major factor in our decision to move to Bucktown.

You may be able to negotiate lower rent also IF you would be willing to sign a 2 year lease. Most landlords lose hundreds if not thousands waiting to overturn an apartment... so why not ask if you could have some of that passed on to you for securing them rent for 2 years vs one. That is if you want to stay that long. Good luck!

Old 01-18-2011, 11:41 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
However, it would be more inconvenient commuting to the Merchandise Mart from there via the El train. After commuting to my last job for 30 minutes to and from work every day, commuting is an important factor to me. I want to be able to get there within 15 minutes.
How could it possibly be "inconvenient"? The Blue Line Clark/Lake stop has an entrance/exit at Wells/Lake, which is about 1 1/2 blocks from the Merchandise Mart (about a 4-minute walk across the river). While, granted, the station isn't attached to the building like the Brown Line station is, it's hardly "inconvenient" by any reasonably person's definition of the word. You could commute from Logan Square and have a commute of under 30 minutes. A commute from either of the Division or Damen Blue Line stops would be under 20 minutes and about the same as using the Brown Line from around the Fullerton stop.

Note: Times used are based on your home being about 2 blocks from the station entrance, and to the Wells-street door of the Merchandise Mart.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:08 PM

14 posts, read 22,169 times
Quote:
Here's my situation. I have moved to Chicago but temporarily staying with a relative until I find my own place. I will be working at the Merchandise Mart downtown which is right along the brown line. I'm a single mid-20's professional male who is eventually going to go to grad school (not sure which school yet). I have seen the Lincoln Park and Lakeview neighborhoods and really liked them. I've decided the maximum rent I'm willing to pay is $1300. I could probably afford a little more, but I don't want to. I was looking at what I could get for $1300 in other areas such as Wicker Park and Bucktown and seems like I would get a lot more for what I pay there. However, it would be more inconvenient commuting to the Merchandise Mart from there via the El train. After commuting to my last job for 30 minutes to and from work every day, commuting is an important factor to me. I want to be able to get there within 15 minutes.

Basically I'm looking for a pretty nice 1-bedroom place that has an updated kitchen and bathroom, parking available (I'm well aware of the parking situation in those neighborhoods), laundry in the building somewhere, and within walking (or biking) distance to the brown line. Is $1300 a reasonable price for all of this? I'm thinking part of the trouble I'm having is that I'm looking at a bad time of the year.
For $1300, you can get a 2 bedroom! Get a roomate and you pay half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago