Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2011, 12:19 PM

74 posts, read 173,636 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm very familiar with Chicago. I will be moving there within the next month. My job is going to out by O'hare(higgins road), and I don't know where i would want to live. I thought about living out by Tinley/Orland Park (i love that area) and just take 294 to work everyday. Or maybe renting a condo downtown( but i know that would be a little pricey). Where can i get decent square footage, in a nice area with a nice rental home or condo. Price range monthly is about $1,000-$1,300.maybe a little more if i find somewhere i really like. I don't mind driving about 45 mins to work everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 12:50 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod_moore View Post
Hello all,

I'm very familiar with Chicago. I will be moving there within the next month. My job is going to out by O'hare(higgins road), and I don't know where i would want to live. I thought about living out by Tinley/Orland Park (i love that area) and just take 294 to work everyday. Or maybe renting a condo downtown( but i know that would be a little pricey). Where can i get decent square footage, in a nice area with a nice rental home or condo. Price range monthly is about $1,000-$1,300.maybe a little more if i find somewhere i really like. I don't mind driving about 45 mins to work everyday.
Depending on what you mean by "downtown," $1,000 - $1,300 won't go far. You could get a studio in the central area, maybe, but it would be a small one. Certainly no single-family homes for that price downtown.

So, what do you mean by "downtown"?

Old 01-18-2011, 01:23 PM

74 posts, read 173,636 times
yeah, well I'm certainly sure that the budget of 1,300 won't go that far downtown. But I thought maybe the southloop..

Also, I'm taking every area into consideration. Honestly, I could go up to about $2,000 a month but I wouldn't want to spend that much if I could get something with more space out in the burbs.. I'm just taking suggestions.

thanks for your response.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:58 PM

279 posts, read 759,895 times
If all you care about is space for the money and you don't care about having various amenities nearby or other things that an urban lifestyle may offer, I'd suggest you look in the suburbs. There are dozens of them within 45 minutes from where you will be working.
If you care about other things besides space and want to live in the city, there are also lots of options besides downtown where you can find a decent one or two bedroom apartment in your price range. To stay within 45 minutes of work, look at neighborhoods close to the Kennedy Expressway and north / northwest of downtown (i.e. Bucktown, Wicker Park, west Lakeview, maybe Lincoln Square, etc.). The further northwest from downtown you go, the less trendy the neighborhoods generally get, but they also become more affordable. For $2,000 a month, you can rent a pretty nice one bedroom apartment in a highrise downtown (~1100 to 1300 sqft) and that would probably also include a covered parking spot, but I'm not sure if your commute would be 45 minutes from downtown. Traffic on the Kennedy sucks.
If it's possible to walk to your office from one of the Blue Line stops close to O'Hare, then you could live near the Blue Line and have a relatively easy commute.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:37 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Quote:
Honestly, I could go up to about $2,000 a month but I wouldn't want to spend that much if I could get something with more space out in the burbs.. I'm just taking suggestions.
I'm biting my tongue here ...

Unless you're wanting to live in sketchy areas of the city, you will *always* get more space for the same amount of money in the suburbs. It's just the way the world works and to say you want to look in the city, but then follow up with ridiculous statesments like the one I bolded really indicates you aren't really understanding the point of city vs. suburban life and will almost certainly be happier in the suburbs. My brother rents a whole 4-bedroom house in the suburbs for about $1,500.

I'm not saying that as a criticism, to each his own and almost everyone likes a little extra space. But when you strongly emphasize space without mentioning any of the amenities cities vs. suburbs offer you're fooling yourself to think you'd be happier in the city than the suburbs.

Quote:
thanks for your response.
You're welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: