Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 03:30 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,939 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone in Chicago might be able to tell me where in Chicagoland the McCallister house in the movie Home Alone was located, if in fact that house is in Chicago. Is there a real neighborhood street called Lincoln Blvd. in the Chicago area and if so is it actually the one in the movie or is it located somewhere else? Given the McCallister house looked pretty upscale, I thought it might be located in the Lake Forest or something like that? Anyway, if you know anything about this please reply. IT's a question I've pondered ever since the first time I saw it as a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 06:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Many John Hughes movies, especially his 80s "teen angst" movies such Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, and Uncle Buck, are shot on location in the near North Shore, typically places like Winnetka, Wilmette, Highland Park, Glencoe, and the like. Winnetka is his most frequently used location, and there is a Lincoln Avenue there. I believe the external shots of the neighborhood in "Home Alone" were shot there.

EDIT: According to IMDB, the McCallister House is at 671 Lincoln Avenue in Winnetka.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:30 AM

21 posts, read 118,554 times
no intention to hijack your thread but i cant resist but to ask, where was Road To Perdition shot?

Old 07-19-2007, 10:37 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,417,410 times
Yep, Drover is right, the home from Home Alone is located somewhere in Winnetka. That church that they go to in that movie is also located in Winnetka I believe. I'm sure the addresses for these locations are posted somewhere on the web.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Many John Hughes movies, especially his 80s "teen angst" movies such Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, and Uncle Buck, are shot on location in the near North Shore, typically places like Winnetka, Wilmette, Highland Park, Glencoe, and the like. Winnetka is his most frequently used location, and there is a Lincoln Avenue there. I believe the external shots of the neighborhood in "Home Alone" were shot there.

EDIT: According to IMDB, the McCallister House is at 671 Lincoln Avenue in Winnetka.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:08 PM

202 posts, read 270,888 times
Quite a bit in Home Alone was filmed in Evanston, as well, near the home of my former boss.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamluk View Post
no intention to hijack your thread but i cant resist but to ask, where was Road To Perdition shot?
Geneva....

Old 08-02-2007, 11:10 PM

16 posts, read 116,517 times
This website gives the info you're looking for: Filming Locations for Home Alone

I always wondered what that giant beautiful roman mansion looking structure was at the top of the Hilton Hotel on Michigan Avenue (you probably haven't noticed it - look at the top of it from Columbus Drive). I asked a bellman at the hotel one day and they said that in Home Alone 2 (Lost in New York), the suite where family is reunited at the end of the movie, supposedly overlooking New York's ‘Central Park’, is the Conrad Hilton Suite of the Chicago Hilton and Towers. (This info also came from the website link above). Thought that was interesting. I hear it's $5,000/night. Three bedrooms, a grand salon, a library, a kitchen, and a dining room large enough to seat 14.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:26 PM

3 posts, read 63,533 times
Wink Home Alone 1 Home location

just so happens that I was looking for the same house, as I watched the movie. My son lives in Chicago now and thought I could go see it next time I was up there. the house house was listed on google earth as 674 Lincoln Ave. but the town was listed as Northfield, IL. There was a pic on google earth, it's the same house, only now it has a fence and a gate arbour. If your still wondering, check it out, it has a feature where you can stroll down the street, like Kevin did. Pretty cool.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:52 PM

3 posts, read 63,533 times
By the way, if you do use google earth, chose satalite vview. Once you get there you'll see the + and - signs to zoom in and out, you will also see a little yellow man attached to it, drag the yellow man to walk the street. Its easy, be patient.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:52 PM

109 posts, read 353,074 times
This is a little OT, but if anyone is interested in Ferris Bueller's home, it's for sale now for $1.8M...in Highland Park.

370 Beech Street, Highland Park, IL, 60035 - MLS #07218797 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago