Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:31 PM

19 posts, read 100,490 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to get out of Texas for a change. I'm 37(male) and single. I have lots of family in the Chicagoland area so I wouldn't be new and not know anyone. How is the job market for someone in IT? Also, would I like Chicago? I really hate Dallas. It's a city of no character and the people are as plastic as Chinese made toy. (no offense to any Chinese people)
I know the weather is extremely cold but, that is in contrast to Dallas where it's 90 degrees and much higher with humidity from June until mid October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 07:41 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,339,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lidwp11 View Post
How is the job market for someone in IT?
There are like 5 threads on this. Most of them are recent. If you search the forum you will find them.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:50 PM

588 posts, read 1,800,848 times
Well, there will be room for you in Chicago. Plenty of people are trying to do the opposite of you, and that's to leave Chicago and go to an area such as Dallas. Lol. That's actually one of my life plans. I've been to the Dallas area many times and have found the people pleasant and polite. As with anything, there is no way to sum up an area with millions and millions. Up here, like down in Dallas, or any large city, you will find the best of people and the worst of people. Chicago has some of the warmest people you'll ever meet, along with some of the most phony pretentious jerks you've ever met. I know IT is probably stronger in Texas than this area. But all you can do is do your research and put in your resume.

Last edited by ofcjim40; 01-26-2011 at 10:15 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 01:17 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,055,953 times
Quote:
I'm looking to get out of Texas for a change. I'm 37(male) and single. I have lots of family in the Chicagoland area so I wouldn't be new and not know anyone. How is the job market for someone in IT? Also, would I like Chicago? I really hate Dallas. It's a city of no character and the people are as plastic as Chinese made toy. (no offense to any Chinese people)
I know the weather is extremely cold but, that is in contrast to Dallas where it's 90 degrees and much higher with humidity from June until mid October.
I used to live in Dallas at one point, loved it. I really liked Dallas, it was an exceptionally great city and its just a place I really feel a good connection too. So I'm sorry you had a bad experience there and hate it, but hopefully you can get yourself to somewhere you'll like.

Yes Chicago is a pretty strong IT hub, but the thing with Chicago right now is that even though the local economy is doing better than national average, jobs are still hard to come by in Chicago. So apply early, and apply to multiple places. Honestly as far as cost of living goes, Dallas & Chicago are more comparable than different on housing prices, but Illinois has way more taxes to deal with than Texas.

As for the city, besides the winter weather if you're not used to it, there is no complaint for Chicago. It's a world class city that offers world class amenities. There's little to dislike about it, and since you're from Dallas, I take it that natural scenery doesn't really matter much? If yes, then you'll be great for Chicago.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:03 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,202,761 times
Quote:
Its not "extremeley" cold.
And we have our hot humid days too.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:15 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,991,583 times
If you mention what your specialization is, you might get some more pertinent info about the IT part of things. I know there are a couple of people on here who know the IT job market pretty well. I've lived in the Chicago area all my life and never found the idea of Texas at all appealing, so yeah, I think you would enjoy Chicago. You'll definitely find some plastic people up here too, but I think most Chicagoans are pretty straight-forward open people.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:11 AM

71 posts, read 105,650 times
I lived in Dallas for 14 years before moving overseas for three and then to Chicago a little over a year ago. I could not agree more regarding your comment on the pretentiousness of the majority of Dallasites. While I was able to find a seclusion of good friends and places that were less-plasticky, a huge majority of Dallasites were more worried about what you did and how much money you made, versus who you were. I tell my Chicago friends that when you meet someone in Dallas the first time, the chances are the first question they ask you will be "What do you do?". And when you meet someone in Chicago for the first time, the first question they ask is "What do you drink?".

I would not move here without a guaranateed job that paid a bit more than what you are making in Dallas. Be prepared for 5 months of winter temperatures versus 2 months in Dallas. Be prepared for a much higher cost of living and higher taxes. If you are politically conservative, be prepared for a bit of shock as well. But I do think on average the people of Chicago are a friendly lot and the city has a lot to offer. If you can handle the increased cost of living, the long/cold winters and the corruption/politics, I think you'll enjoy yourself here.

Good luck!

Old 01-27-2011, 09:15 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
You'll be cold, but happy! Chicago has some fantastic urban neighborhoods, loads of low-key and casual activities and plenty of that midwestern sensibility. I actually like Dallas more than I thought I would before I went there, but I can understand perfectly all the things you dislike about the town and feel quite confident that you wouldn't dislike the same things in Chicago.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:54 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,174,974 times
Quote:
Do you know where I could get one of those big convertible Cadillacs with longhorns on the front?

Old 01-27-2011, 06:48 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,376,390 times
I am one of those people who is (heavily) considering moving from Chicago to Dallas, it is on my mind all day long trying to decide what to do. As a matter of fact, I was down there (again) all last weekend, looking around and checking it out.

About once a year, I go down there and look at apartments and condos in Uptown/Knox Henderson. And then I write about it obsessively here on this website (over in the Dallas forum). The weather there is beautiful, the people are friendly, and I get a really good peaceful vibe there, like I am 'home'. But, I can never pull the trigger, I am worried that when I get there, I will realize that the grass isnt always greener and then miss Chicago (I have been here for 12 years). I work in IT, and my employer will allow me to transfer there.

Regarding Chicago, what others have said is correct, it is an all around awesome city and I love it (I get tired tho of the cost of living and the extreme, long, dark, cold winters), so I imagine you will like it.

Regarding the IT sector here...a lot of the IT jobs are out in the West Burbs (along I-88) and out in Schaumburg. There are giant office parks out that way, that sort of remind me of that cluster of office towers at the Dallas North Tollway. There is a lot of IT employment in the Loop as well, but it is fiercely competitive; I mean like, people will actively try to sabotage you, level of competitive.

Last edited by SmartGXL; 01-27-2011 at 07:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago