Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:48 PM

17 posts, read 55,848 times

Advertisements

I'm not going to be there just to sight-see. I'm actually on a self-appointed "mission" to get familiar with the feel of the city (especially downtown) and I'll be going all by myself

But anyway...I wanna go in the summer, around June. So, how much money do you think I need to start saving now?

I'm 23, just to let you know, but I don't want spend all my money on drinking and doing dumb ****. I'm serious about this, you guys (and girls!). So, can you give me some advice?

I'll be coming from Columbus, Ohio & I'll most likely take Amtrak all the way to Chicago. I'm very excited, but kind of nervous at the same time. Any tips? You guys are pretty smart, so that's why I've come here instead of Yelp lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 10:52 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,338,399 times
I would say without knowing more specific details, $1500 would be a nice comfortable number.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:05 PM

EDIT: *Important change* 4 days, not 7 days!!

Old 01-27-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeyes4u View Post
EDIT: *Important change* 4 days, not 7 days!!
Ok, maybe $1000.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
I would say without knowing more specific details, $1500 would be a nice comfortable number.
What specific details do you need?

I plan on using the bus or a taxi as transportation. (Do people even really use Chicago taxi??) I also plan on staying in a cheap hotel...if there are any.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
I also plan on staying in a cheap hotel...if there are any.
Even if you find a really cheap deal on a hotel, it is still going to cost you minimum $60 a night. That's $240 at least for four days. Then you have your Amtrak fare.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Even if you find a really cheap deal on a hotel, it is still going to cost you minimum $60 a night. That's $240 at least for four days. Then you have your Amtrak fare.
Thanks so much for answering me this fast. Do you know any decent, cheap hotels/ motels in Chicago? I'm really not looking for a sleazebag of a motel, nor do I have the money to pay for an expensive one.

I'm a little afraid of hostels at the moment, too. Does anyone know of any reasonably priced motels/hotels in the city?

Old 01-27-2011, 11:18 PM

146 posts, read 323,764 times
Hmm, that would depend entirely on your preferences. And even within your preferences, there are varying degrees of prices and choices.

I think if you're going to stay in a decent hotel and do a good amount of sightseeing, trying restaurants and experiencing the nightlife, you'll have to assume maybe $1,000. That includes about $150 per night of a hotel near Michigan Ave (more if you want to be right on top of it), which I've assumed to include taxes. The other $400 would be parsed out, $100 for each day, to take in the sights, do some shopping, eat / drink. But it's impossible to say without knowing you and your shopping and eating habits. You could take in an architectural boat cruise, get to the Willis Tower observation area, have a coffee, couple of decent meals, and you're already beyond $100 in less than 6 hours.

A good option, also, is to get a Chicago City Pass card (Chicago CityPASS® | Visit 5 Chicago attractions for just $69.00 per pass, a $134.62 value!).

I would recommend you peruse tripadvisor, yelp, and this site as well to get all your tourist options down. Then check the prices for the activities you want to experience. This way, you'll get a much better idea than what any one of us here can guess. Remember, in summer, Cubs play, so take that into account if you're a baseball fan.

Going back to preferences, if you're a hostel type of person, as I am, then $500 could very easily suffice. If you're a couchsurfing type of person, as I also am, $400 could be much more than enough for 4 days.

Good luck and please feel free to PM me if you've any questions. I've lived in Chicago previously and hosted many a friend there!

Old 01-27-2011, 11:31 PM

674 posts, read 1,055,990 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for answering me this fast. Do you know any decent, cheap hotels/ motels in Chicago? I'm really not looking for a sleazebag of a motel, nor do I have the money to pay for an expensive one.

I'm a little afraid of hostels at the moment, too. Does anyone know of any reasonably priced motels/hotels in the city?
Hotels.com is your best bet. That or a like-website. I would also visit the CTA website and pick up a 3 day transit pass. If you have a smartphone you can use Google Maps and their public transportation feature to help navigate. It will tell you which stops to get off and on at along the L. If you want to get a "feel" for the city too - then do not spend the majority of your time in the loop (downtown). You'll get to feel like a tourist if you do that. Wikitravel is a great resource for information on various areas of Chicago. No hate on the south side either, but if you plan on traveling by yourself (as I assume you're female), avoid anything south of Chinatown (especially at night) other than the Museum of Science and Industry in Hyde Park (fabulous exhibits). But do visit both places if you have time - it's only fifteen dollars to get into the museum and you can waste the entire day there gawking and things. Other than that...the Lincoln Park zoo is free and very nice and you can also explore the rest of Lincoln Park too. Visit the beaches, they're gorgeous. Have fun!

Old 01-28-2011, 04:59 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,999,583 times
Quote:
What specific details do you need?

I plan on using the bus or a taxi as transportation. (Do people even really use Chicago taxi??) I also plan on staying in a cheap hotel...if there are any.
check out the cta site. You can purchase 1,3, and 7 day passes for $5.75,$14, and $23 they give you unlimited rides on the cta for that time period and the time period starts when you first use them. Taxis are kinda expensive. Yes people use taxies but the cta is much cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago