U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you move to after Chicago?
New York City 5 15.15%
San Francisco 9 27.27%
Los Angeles 3 9.09%
Hong Kong 2 6.06%
London 7 21.21%
Paris 1 3.03%
Rome 0 0%
Shanghai 0 0%
Toronto 5 15.15%
Vancouver 1 3.03%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 12:10 AM

143 posts, read 421,330 times

Advertisements

Interested in your take on what would be the next place to move to after Chicago, and why
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 12:14 AM

999 posts, read 1,740,422 times
If it were in the near future Boston, D.C., New York City. I need urban, dense, gritty, cold cities that have hustle and bustle with an active night life and are very walkable. If this were 20 years from now, possibly and I was thinking of places that I might like to retire in would definitely be Miami, San Diego, Belize and Costa Rica.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:11 AM

4,091 posts, read 4,075,999 times
What do you mean "the next place to move to?"

Old 02-06-2011, 09:10 AM

7,041 posts, read 14,375,632 times
Guess that it is for folks that look at the city as a transient place....I'd vote for London. It is the most like Chicago without the brutal winters and without the major crime. Of course, I'd have to be independently wealthy, but, that wasn't the question....

Old 02-06-2011, 10:06 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,566,452 times
My dream pick is NYC, most logical place from this list is Toronto and most likely place for us is Dallas.

NYC is my dream home town, I've always wanted to live there and hope to one day. But it's not going to be anytime soon! I've lived in London and spent a lot of time in Paris. I wouldn't live in London again unless money was no object, and have similar reservations about Paris.

Toronto is quite similar to Chicago in my experience, if we move to Canada it would probably be there, although Vancouver would certainly get some consideration.

Dallas is probably where we're headed though, since we have friends there and the job market for my husband is promising. Cost of living seems to be lower than Chicago too.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:19 PM

12,390 posts, read 27,374,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Guess that it is for folks that look at the city as a transient place....I'd vote for London. It is the most like Chicago without the brutal winters and without the major crime. Of course, I'd have to be independently wealthy, but, that wasn't the question....
London is nothing like Chicago.
OP, I am not sure what you mean?

To answer the question though... for me it would be NYC or DC (career oriented, public policy/nfp/think tanks/etc) and FL or SF (family and lived there before public policy in state capitals Sac/Tal or SF)
Those are the only places I would consider moving.

Last edited by grapico; 02-06-2011 at 02:13 PM..

Old 02-06-2011, 01:42 PM

3,569 posts, read 6,854,032 times
No where.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:05 PM

4,620 posts, read 7,724,259 times
I voted for London.

I don't really want to move just for the sake of moving, though.

For the industry in which I work, there are a limited number of cities I could move to without changing industries. I could do my work in a different industry, but I really like this industry so it would have to be New York, London, Paris, Hong Kong, Shanghai. There are a few other cities that might work industry-wise, but the number of jobs available would make it tricky.

Purely from a lifestyle standpoint, I think London or Paris would top my list. I almost moved to London a few years ago after a particularly good year left me qualified to move there with an open work visa (i.e. not needing a sponsoring company), but I had just bought my house so in the end I stayed here in Chicago. I don't regret not moving, but I don't think I'd have regreted moving there either.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:30 PM

7,041 posts, read 14,375,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
London is nothing like Chicago.
OP, I am not sure what you mean?

To answer the question though... for me it would be NYC or DC (career oriented, public policy/nfp/think tanks/etc) and FL or SF (family and lived there before public policy in state capitals Sac/Tal or SF)
Those are the only places I would consider moving.
I disagree. I find London very much like Chicago...minus the crime and brutal winters. I've been there many times; going again in March. Would live there in an instant. However, being an American, getting a work visa is pretty difficult (especially now) and, so, I am here.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:12 PM

12,390 posts, read 27,374,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I disagree. I find London very much like Chicago...minus the crime and brutal winters. I've been there many times; going again in March. Would live there in an instant. However, being an American, getting a work visa is pretty difficult (especially now) and, so, I am here.
Eh I guess I agree to disagree. Maybe industry wise. Just the city feel, culture to me doesn't feel similar.
I agree with you though...if I could I would just move out of the country. Tried staying in France about 7 years ago but needed to come back to U.S.

For somebody in Chciago I could see how CA or a foreign country would be appealing, as they are quite different.

Somewhere like NYC might be more of the same environment so...not that much of a point to go.

Last edited by grapico; 02-06-2011 at 06:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago