Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: are security cameras used for spying on citizens?
i DON'T feel like I'm being spied on! 14 82.35%
i DO feel like I'm getting spied on! 3 17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 04:09 PM

9 posts, read 16,977 times

Advertisements

are they good or not good?

I personally think they are good.
in my neighborhood, cameras has helped
to disperse gang members, which is primary problem due to shooting.

i dont think i am getting spied on by the police.

i searched "chicago cameras" and this came up.
//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...e-cameras.html

seems to old to revive!

EDIT: i screwed up on the poll!
please bear with my typo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 06:48 PM

49 posts, read 137,587 times
How would you feel like you're being spied on? The cameras are only allowed to be used in the public way, they cannot be pointed into windows. If you are walking down the street in public, you are not being spied on. You are on city property and they have every right to watch you. Also it's not just the blue light cameras, most of the private cameras attached to building exteriors downtown are all city tied and can be watched whenever they want.

Do I like the cameras? Not really. I think they are more of a novelty than anything. Nobody knows for sure if they work or not since the only statistics for them come directly from the police department. They can say whatever they want. I don't think the cameras are in any way a substitute for police officers on the street. I honestly believe that more cops in marked cars on the streets are a better deterrent than any amount of cameras. Just my opinion.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:31 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,069,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahern02 View Post
You are on city property and they have every right to watch you. .
Where the heck do you get that?
If I go to the bathroom in the park or change clothes on North beach they have every right to watch?

Are there cameras in all the bedrooms of the CHA units?

Old 02-10-2011, 12:02 PM

49 posts, read 137,587 times
If you are in a common public area they have every right to watch you. CHA buildings have cameras in hallways but no, it's illegal to put them in a unit. Same as it's illegal to put them in a restroom or a designated changing area. Like I said, I never said I agree with it, but you have to be aware of what they can and cannot do.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:06 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,069,151 times
bathrooms aren't common public areas?

I'm having problems following your reason because your story keeps changing.

Do you have a citation?

Old 02-10-2011, 07:16 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
The grocery store where I shop has cameras in the bathrooms. What they cannot do is put them in the stalls.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:54 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
bathrooms aren't common public areas?

I'm having problems following your reason because your story keeps changing.

Do you have a citation?

Are you dense or just being difficult for no reason? I imagine he means within reason. Putting cameras in public bathrooms is not within reason.

And to answer the question, I don't feel like I'm being spied on. The cameras aren't being monitored at all times. If you were to get mugged, they would then go check the footage. You're not exactly being watched while walking down the street.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:00 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times
The No's are running away with this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: