Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 02:49 PM

17 posts, read 53,667 times

Advertisements

I just moved here and I'm still trying to figure out how to make my car legal.

I've read that I have to get an Illinois Driver's License within 90 days. Looking online, the information on where to do this is all over the map and generally confusing. Also I've heard horror stories about the DMVs here. So I'm asking for any personal suggestions on the best places in Chicago for me to get an Illinois License. I live in Lakeview.

Also, I'm supposed to get a City Sticker and/or a Parking Permit. Is there a difference? Can I get these things at the same place as my license or do I have to go some other place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 03:22 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,324 times
You probably should've asked this in your other thread, but it's not a big deal. It might get merged into the other thread by the mod.

Anyway, if you don't need a driver's road test, you could go to the location downtown at the State of Illinois building at 100 W. Randolph. If you do need a road test, the closest place to Lakeview is at 5401 N. Elston, which isn't all that close.

As far as the city sticker goes, I believe you can get them at your closest currency exchange. Not sure about the parking permit.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:26 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
Every car that lives in the city needs a city sticker, but you'll only need a permit if your neighborhood has zoned parking (if you're in Lakeview it probably is, yes?) I believe they are sold together, but someone probably knows that better than I do.

You can also buy visitor permits that last for 24 hours from your alderman's office.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:33 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,995,419 times
The parking permet and the city sticker are now combined. (i.e. You get one sticker instead of two). The parking permint is extra($20 I think) but make sure you get the right one as they are limited to zone.

You only need the parking permet if you plan to park outside in an area zoned for permit parking. I would just spend the $20(or so ) just to have the Option even if I had a garge.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:35 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,986,879 times
I'll second that the state building, 100 W. Randolph is the best DMV to go to if you can get your license there (no road test needed). I went there on my lunch break and the wait was only about 20 minutes to get a new license, including a new picture. They were pretty quick there, compared to the other DMVs I have gone to. The DMV in Niles wasn't horrible either. Elgin on the other hand... yikes. Not that I'd expect anyone to go all that way, just sayin'.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:04 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,334,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Thorn View Post
Also, I'm supposed to get a City Sticker and/or a Parking Permit. Is there a difference? Can I get these things at the same place as my license or do I have to go some other place?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
100 W. Randolph is the best DMV to go to if you can get your license there (no road test needed).
Yes it is. It is way preferable to Elston and it is easily reachable by CTA train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
The parking permet and the city sticker are now combined. (i.e. You get one sticker instead of two).
This can be gotten near Lane Tech at 2550 W. Addison. That is the closest place to Lake View.

Office of the Chicago City Clerk -- Vehicle City Stickers Information

Old 02-23-2011, 04:24 PM

17 posts, read 53,667 times
Thanks for all your advice! I know this has been asked before but I just needed some fresh information.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:34 PM

20 posts, read 43,890 times
I will add: The DMV is supposedly on the "Concourse" level of 100 W. Randolph -- this means the basement.
It costs $30 to get a driver's license and they do not take Visa cards.
If you are from another state you need all of these: your old license, two utility bills, SS card, and either birth certificate or unexpired passport.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:05 PM

968 posts, read 2,665,057 times
... and you will need to take the written test .it's pretty easy .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago