Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 04:53 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,104,893 times

Advertisements

.....55 years ago my wife & I rented the first floor of a brick 2-flat just nouth of 3800 north on Albany (2 blocks S/E of the intersection of Kedzie and Irving Park Blvd. We rented there for 5 years. Neighborhood was clean, safe, mostly Italian, German & Polish, all great neighbors..........never had a single problem of any kind during those years................

Now the Big Question?????

What is that neighborhood like now??? Please be as candid as you can.
I haven't been in Chicago for over 50 years. Just kinda courious. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 05:00 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,168,630 times
It's a pretty diverse neighborhood.

All types of Latinos. All types of ethnic whites. And a lot of small amounts of others. Different asians, middle easterns.

It's not a bad neighborhood. Not glamorous or shiny like other hoods but it's not a bad place at all.

Lot's of families along with singles.

New immigrants

Old 02-25-2011, 05:33 PM

49 posts, read 137,040 times
It's a decent working class neighborhood. As far as safety goes, I have never once felt unsafe in that neighborhood.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:08 PM

994 posts, read 1,823,254 times
It's solid middle class, very safe. However, it is up and coming. There are several new businesses and even bars attracting young people to the neighborhood. It's not particualry interesting in terms of variety of activites to to do, but has everything you need.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,838,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
.....55 years ago my wife & I rented the first floor of a brick 2-flat just nouth of 3800 north on Albany (2 blocks S/E of the intersection of Kedzie and Irving Park Blvd. We rented there for 5 years. Neighborhood was clean, safe, mostly Italian, German & Polish, all great neighbors..........never had a single problem of any kind during those years................

Now the Big Question?????

What is that neighborhood like now??? Please be as candid as you can.
I haven't been in Chicago for over 50 years. Just kinda courious. Thanks.
I live in the general area, though a little further west. The primary (though not necessarily majority) ethnicity near Kedzie and Irving is now Mexican. There's a smattering of Serbian immigrants there with a couple of Serbian bars/restaurants/delis, and a lot of just mutt-ethnic 3rd and 4th-generation white people, certainly a good portion of whom have at least some German or Polish ancestors (or both). The heart of the Polish community is around Milwaukee and Belmont, but they've scattered throughout the Northwest side and Northwest suburbs. Many businesses throughout the upper Northwest side still conduct business in Polish. The only conspicuously German area left is Lincoln Square where you'll still find a lot of German-themed bars and delis and stuff. Eastern Irving Park and western Lincoln Square also seems to be where you find the highest concentration of Thais, though there aren't enough of them to make up a visible presence. The only way you'd even know it is by the preponderance of Thai restaurants and the fact that there's a Thai community center on Irving Park road.

The crime rate is probably higher now than it was when you lived there. There's some gang activity, but it's still a pretty livable neighborhood for a middle-class couple of pretty much any ethnicity, though being black around here might make one feel out of place.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:42 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,104,893 times
Thanks everybody for the info re the area around Kedzie & Irving. If I go back for my 65th H.S. Reunion in Libertyville in 2015........I may just drive on down there & see it for myself.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:35 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,838,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Thanks everybody for the info re the area around Kedzie & Irving. If I go back for my 65th H.S. Reunion in Libertyville in 2015........I may just drive on down there & see it for myself.
Come visit. The neighborhood got a little rocky for a while in the 1990s and early 2000s but it has since returned to the solid working/middle-class neighborhood it otherwise always has been. Head 6 blocks north to Kedzie and Wilson and you'll find a lot of great Middle Eastern places to grab a bite to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago