Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 08:05 PM

55 posts, read 175,040 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the Suburbs forum as well, but I wanted to see if the city was an option, possibly Hyde/Lincoln Park (but actually all suggestions welcome, because I know nothing of Chicago).

My wife and I are in our mid to late 30s and have a 5 year old who will be starting school next year. We need a very good elementary school (public) for him, need 3BR, preferrably close to parks and other child friendly amenities. Looking for downtown areas with people in our general age range, we are not party folks anymore, but not too old to get out once in a while. We are in the price range of 450k to 550k.

I'll be working on West Roosevelt Road in the downtown 60608 zip. Wife will be working on North Wacker Drive in the 60606 zip (I know nothing of Chicago so if this information is meaningless, please disregard).

Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 08:10 PM

Anyone have suggestions?

Old 07-30-2007, 09:53 PM

117 posts, read 507,239 times
What you should do is use a school ratings website like GreatSchools.net to find out what schools are in the area that you will be living .One of the best schools in Hyde Park is Ray Elementary. In the Lincoln Park area, you could check out Lincoln Elementary. But it would probably be most helpful to use the search engine on the greatschools website to get a complete list of schools in that area. Parent reviews as well as a break down of student performance on state assessments are also provided.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:02 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
schoolmatters.com is another good school resource. Schoolmatters.com and Greatschools.net will both reveal the Chicago schools suck impressive amounts of ass. City elementary schools are generally not horrible. After that, put your kids in private schools if you can, unless you can figure out how to manipulate the system to get them into magnet schools.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:01 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
I moved to Chicago from Tidewater 30 years ago. As to the Chicago public high schools, I have come to believe that most middle-income parents are able to finagle their children into the magnet public high schools where a decent education can be had. The private high schools charge tuition at what I consider a college rate. This is ok if you are sure your child will receive a college scholarship or attend one of the service academies.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the replies. Doesn't say a whole lot for the public school system in Chicago. The magnet public schools may be an option, but it will be a while before we need them.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:37 PM

88 posts, read 228,583 times
We live in an area with exceptional schools (for Chicago) but the prices we pay is that there isn't much else around here. Look in Edison Park, Oriole Park, Sauganash, Eddebrook and Norwood Park. You should be able to get a house (not condo etc) with a yard for about that price.\

But as I said, your commute wouldn't be great. There are metra trains (fast commuter trains) in those areas, though, so that would help. It's the way northwest side, for reference.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:41 PM

88 posts, read 228,583 times
PS The Chicago Public School website (don't know it offhand) will let you type in the address of a house and you can find what school it belongs to. You can then pull up the school report card.

Once you establish the schools you want, you can type in your commute on the CTA or metra's websites, metrarail.com and transitchicago.com. That is how we did it.

My husband has about a 45 min commute via Metra from where we live, which is the John Garvy school district/Taft High School. Not much in the way of walkable social life, but it's family friendly and not too far from downtown of Edison Park, which has some good restaurants.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:53 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,315 times
I agree with Cindy. Look into Wildwood, Edgebrook, Sauganash, Sauganash Park, Forest Glen, Norwood Park and Edison Park. These are really nice family neighborhoods on the NW side of the city. I have family there and my brother in law's ride downtown on Metra is about 45 minutes which isn't bad at all. These area are pricey and you won't have the best house on the block with your budget. You may be able to get a 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath, 1 car garage but living in that area is wonderful. You can worry about higschool later, lol

Old 08-27-2007, 01:50 PM

7 posts, read 45,828 times
yes, I agree with chitown68 Ray School is a very good school I attended william H. Ray in Hyde Park in 1995. But check it out because Ms. Fields and Ms. Lobbies retired this year ( Principal and v Principal) but the area has went down some anytime the co-op gets robby its a problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago