Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 05:37 PM

3 posts, read 13,802 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am moving to Chicago to work in East Chicago, In. I am considering Hyde Park area to rent an appartement. Is this area safe (I am single, no kids)? Can anyone suggest a partucular building to rent in? How is the truffic in direction to East Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 06:48 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
You need to check it out. Ask about a specific address. Hyde Park is hit or miss, depending on which block you're on.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:11 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
You need to check it out. Ask about a specific address. Hyde Park is hit or miss, depending on which block you're on.
Well, not exactly. Actually, all of Hyde Park is safer than most of Chicago. That's not a glowing recommendation, but it is something.

And, strangely enough, at one point in my life I lived in Hyde Park and worked in East Chicago, like several folks at my job. From my apartment window down the lakefront I could actually see my workplace. (It stood out on the horizon!) The route is about 12 miles straight down Route 41 on the lakefront. Some places on that route you may find 'sketchy', but much of the residences have been razed and new construction is planned. Plus, you get to buy gas in Indiana once or twice a week.

I found that if you are running late, a person can actually take the Skyway from Stoney to 116th st. if you work in East Chicago and you want to pay the toll. Remember, there is a shortcut through Whiting to Marktown if you work near there in East Chicago.

As to renting an apartment in Hyde Park, there is a plethora of threads on this forum as to where you would consider renting (Hyde Park has several distinct areas) and the usual rates. If you have a car, look for a residence that features parking or consider central Hyde Park. There is more street parking in East Hyde Park than in Lincoln Park, but that's not saying much.

Check out the local rag:

http://www.hpherald.com/

Old 03-10-2011, 04:15 AM

3 posts, read 13,802 times
Manigault, thanks a lot. Your information is a good starting point. Can you give me more specifics: how long is the drive, what area of Hyde Park is better than another, where exactly did you live. I appreciate your help.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlockholms View Post
Manigault, thanks a lot. Your information is a good starting point. Can you give me more specifics: how long is the drive, what area of Hyde Park is better than another, where exactly did you live. I appreciate your help.
Well, the drive is 12 miles on city streets with stop lights and a few stop signs. So I would give myself 45". It's somewhat faster taking the Skyway.

Within Hyde Park - Kenwood, there is Kenwood, West Hype Park, East Hyde Park, Hype Park, Indian Village and the Golden Rectangle (campus). OK, if you are a single person, most of the student and newer apartments are in East Hyde Park, east of the Metra tracks. Indian Village in that area has a lot of condos and a few co-ops and almost no on-street parking. East Hyde Park has a lot of restaurants and is only two blocks to the lake front and beach.

Central Hyde Park has more townhomes but it does have some apartments. It is the area where people live if they want to get their kids into the magnet schools. There are some apartments, too and the rents are cheaper. Anything you may want to get from a restaurant is available on 53rd street in central Hyde Park from fried chicken to sushi to noodles to pizza to lamb.

The Golden Rectangle is the UofC campus between 55th street and 61st street and has few rental apartments -- mostly condos and townhomes. West Hyde Park has cheaper apartments and some condo conversions and townhomes. Kenwood is a place of mansions, condos and just a few apartments. As a newcomer, I don't think you are ready for Woodlawn.

I advise you to check out the local paper for rentals. If you are unsure, there are usually some summer sub-leases by students which won't get you hooked in for a long period.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:55 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
One thing to remember about Hyde Park is that depending on what you want, the area is either a) calm and tranquil or b) boring as hell. I guess you know its history and how U of C cleared out much if the retail/bars/clubs decades ago. The result is that the area is devoid of the lively street scene you usually find around major urban universities. As a single you'd most likley have to go North for a lot of your social life. I dont think Hyde Park even has a first run movie house anymore. The big bookstore has closed (Was it B&N or Borders?) near 53rd St. And the restuarant/bar/club scene. like I said, is basically pitiful. Its a very progressive neighborhood, racially diverse, and obvioulsy has that intellectual vibe. And despite what people may say here it is generally safe too. But this isn't bright lights big city Chicago.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I dont think Hyde Park even has a first run movie house anymore.
A new movie house is planned!
Hyde Park Herald, Chicago's oldest Community Newspaper, since 1882, also featuring The Lakefront Outlook (http://www.hpherald.com/hpindex.html - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
The big bookstore has closed (Was it B&N or Borders?) near 53rd St. And the restuarant/bar/club scene. like I said, is basically pitiful. Its a very progressive neighborhood, racially diverse, and obvioulsy has that intellectual vibe. And despite what people may say here it is generally safe too. But this isn't bright lights big city Chicago.
Too true. The only gin mills left are the Cove and Jimmy's .

Old 03-10-2011, 11:16 AM

968 posts, read 2,665,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
A new movie house is planned!
Hyde Park Herald, Chicago's oldest Community Newspaper, since 1882, also featuring The Lakefront Outlook (http://www.hpherald.com/hpindex.html - broken link)

Too true. The only gin mills left are the Cove and Jimmy's .
...shedding a tear for Ciral's House of Tiki ...is the Falcon Inn still around ??

Old 03-10-2011, 11:20 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoylekim View Post
...shedding a tear for Ciral's House of Tiki ...is the Falcon Inn still around ??
yep, I miss the 4am zombie also. Falcon is still there, haven't gone for years though.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:36 AM

17,417 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
The route is about 12 miles straight down Route 41 on the lakefront. Some places on that route you may find 'sketchy', but much of the residences have been razed and new construction is planned. Plus, you get to buy gas in Indiana once or twice a week.
Are you talking about taking LSD south till it ends and following 41 past the South Shore Country Club, Rainbow Beach, yada yada yada till you end up going through the East Side & Whiting?

If so ... huge to this route vs. the Skyway.

I'd much prefer this route over the money grubbing Skyway. Timewise, I bet you'll shave some minutes off the Skyway and save a truckload of money too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: