Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 PM

14 posts, read 29,769 times

Advertisements

I'm licensed to practice law in other states and moved to Chicago recently and not licensed here. How is the job market for attorneys in Chicago? Does anyone know of anyone who has successfully transitioned into a non-legal job with a legal background?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 05:22 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,725,866 times
Maybe Dover will chime in. I think he completed law school in Chicago.

I am interested in this topic myself, since I have thought of moving to the area after school.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:27 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,751,145 times
My situation is a little different as I still haven't sat for the bar. I suspect that having a JD while looking for non-legal employment was more of a hindrance than a help. I think many prospective employers outside the legal field still have unrealistic ideas about the earning power and/or salary expectations of your average law school graduate, thinking we're all looking for a ticket to riches when in fact these days many of us are really just want to be able to pay down our school loans. I eventually found a job through connections outside my "law school" circle of connections, and I mostly took it because it's a large corporation that a) really likes to promote from within and b) has a fairly large in-house compliance department where a JD is actually useful yet a law license isn't necessary.

All that said, I think someone who already has legal experience may have an easier time transitioning into a similar medium-high level position than a fresh graduate with no legal experience outside a couple of internships.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:59 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,844,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
My situation is a little different as I still haven't sat for the bar. I suspect that having a JD while looking for non-legal employment was more of a hindrance than a help. I think many prospective employers outside the legal field still have unrealistic ideas about the earning power and/or salary expectations of your average law school graduate, thinking we're all looking for a ticket to riches when in fact these days many of us are really just want to be able to pay down our school loans. I eventually found a job through connections outside my "law school" circle of connections, and I mostly took it because it's a large corporation that a) really likes to promote from within and b) has a fairly large in-house compliance department where a JD is actually useful yet a law license isn't necessary.

All that said, I think someone who already has legal experience may have an easier time transitioning into a similar medium-high level position than a fresh graduate with no legal experience outside a couple of internships.
I didn't know, but I'm glad that you found something. I suppose that you'll eventually sit for the bar, but no real hurry, unless it means a possible pay upgrade ( but pay raises are probably out of the question right now)...

Old 03-16-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

I think you are right on Drover about a JD proving to be more of a hindrance than help for non-legal work. I've tried to apply for compliance positions myself, but they seem to want specific industry experience. I guess connections are the way to go here.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:14 PM

1,048 posts, read 1,547,787 times
I'm a non-lawyer working for "BigLaw" in a position that works closely with recruiting. The market right now is amazing for the lucky attorneys who were able to hang on through the bloodbath of 2009 or find government work, but there is not much of a market for anyone who has been unemployed or (just as bad) got desperate enough to work as a contract attorney.

Also, in my 7+ years with this firm, I recall only a few candidates (fewer than 10) who had JDs and were offered non-legal positions. Law firms can sense non-traditional lawyers trying to get their foot in the door from a mile away.

I'm not sure about smaller firms, but I'd imagine the competition on the scrap heap is fierce. Hopefully you'll luck into something (whether it's legal or non-legal).

Old 03-20-2011, 01:45 PM

103 posts, read 158,312 times
I'm an Illinois licensed attorney with 2+ years of "solid" experience (IMO) in a small private firm. However, I live 2 hours outside Chicago and have been trying to join a Chicago firm for about a year now. It is discouraging to be largely ignored (I have gotten a couple bites) but I may set up my own shop soon..

Old 03-21-2011, 11:15 AM

Zizu, have you applied to listings online or through networking? What about firms in the burbs?

Old 03-21-2011, 08:27 PM

103 posts, read 158,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly7 View Post
Zizu, have you applied to listings online or through networking? What about firms in the burbs?
I've applied through all job postings that I come across (that match my skills and interests) and have sent many unsolicited resumes/cover letters. I've been applying mainly in the city, though I have also sent many apps to firms in the Western/Northwest Suburbs.

You raise a great point about networking.. I don't have the benefit of that, being physically out of the area. You should work that aspect hard. Maybe even join the Chicago Bar Association despite not being employed at the moment.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:00 PM

8,438 posts, read 12,123,751 times
For law jobs in Chicago, nothing beats networking. You can do craigslist and the Law Bulletin Home Page but it really helps to make contacts and find out what is happening in your practice area. If you are a recent grad you may have reciprocal use of the placement facilities at area law schools -- and you may not.

You're gonna need an IL license unless you work for a multistate corporation so I hope you are able to waive into the bar. There are a whole raft of lawyers who have moved into non-legal positions. Most of the major non-profits have had lawyers as CEO's, like the Chicago Childrens Choir and others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago