Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 10:33 PM

6 posts, read 5,247 times

Advertisements

hi , i get a job in chicago (near W Wellington Ave ) and i am going to move their in june . now i live in CA ,i am married and i have 2 kids ( 4, 6 yrs), i need your advice please
1.I would like to live in the area close to or easy access to my work place. and be average in terms of prices, as well as the existence of good schools.
2.and also to be served well by public transportation.
thank you for advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 10:42 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,997,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by match2011 View Post
hi , i get a job in chicago (near W Wellington Ave ) and i am going to move their in june . now i live in CA ,i am married and i have 2 kids ( 4, 6 yrs), i need your advice please
1.I would like to live in the area close to or easy access to my work place. and be average in terms of prices, as well as the existence of good schools.
2.and also to be served well by public transportation.
thank you for advice
Could you give a cross street? W. Wellington is on the northside but I don't know how far west on wellington the area you need to be in is. Would hate to give you advice for Pulaski and Wellington when you need to be at Sheffiled and welington. I don't need the address just a near cross street.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:00 PM

thank you for reply my job near advocte illinois masonic medical center .

Old 03-15-2011, 11:07 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,997,437 times
Quote:
thank you for reply my job near advocte illinois masonic medical center .
Cool nice area. The area near work would meet your criteria. The only issuse might be schools. It is in lake view. The area could be a bit too party like for you. Lake view also has major parking problems so if you have a car be aware of that.

Chicago has some ok public grade schools but high schools are a problem.

For the most part I wouldn't recomind being in the burbs for that location. The only burb that would make sense would be evanston and you lived near the boarder of it and was drivng(or taking the purple line during rush hour only).

Old 03-15-2011, 11:35 PM

thank you for advice

Old 03-16-2011, 08:46 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,713 times
Quote:
and be average in terms of prices, as well as the existence of good schools
How much can you afford? What size place do you need?

Old 03-16-2011, 08:54 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
There are a number of good elementary schools nearby, it would depend on your price range for either renting/buying. The hospital is right next to a brown line stop, so you can look into Roscoe Village and North Center as two potential neighborhoods, both of which are just a few stops away on the brown line.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:03 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
There are a number of good elementary schools nearby, it would depend on your price range for either renting/buying. The hospital is right next to a brown line stop, so you can look into Roscoe Village and North Center as two potential neighborhoods, both of which are just a few stops away on the brown line.
That's not far from Nettelhorst elementary, which has become a poster child for how to create GOOD urban schools, so much so that there's a book about it.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:26 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Commute from parts of Oak Park or Park Ridge to Illinois Masonic area is doable, might make sense to consider those if easy and immeadiate need for schools is a priority. CPS still has many hurdles / systemic problems that frustrate those relocating with school age kids.

I know parents that have thier kids at Nettlehorst but they lived in the area for many years before they needed to consider schools. If you won't move here until June that is long past the traditional period of scouting out schools for the fall under the CPS labyrinth. Fortunately suburbs are much more accommodating .

Old 03-16-2011, 10:39 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Commute from parts of Oak Park or Park Ridge to Illinois Masonic area is doable, might make sense to consider those if easy and immeadiate need for schools is a priority. CPS still has many hurdles / systemic problems that frustrate those relocating with school age kids.

I know parents that have thier kids at Nettlehorst but they lived in the area for many years before they needed to consider schools. If you won't move here until June that is long past the traditional period of scouting out schools for the fall under the CPS labyrinth. Fortunately suburbs are much more accommodating .
If the OP determines it is necessary to avoid the Chicago Public School system.. commute-wise, I think it would make a lot more sense to look into Evanston, Wilmette, or Skokie. The medical center is right at a Brown line stop, but only 2 blocks from the Belmont stop where the red and purple lines stop, meaning a purple line express or yellow-purple line commute would be shorter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago