Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 10:29 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,184,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoguy91 View Post
Might be "mainstream" but i really like Uno
I still like Uno's and Due's too at the original locations on Wabash and Ohio (where deep
dish started in Chicago).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 11:19 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,841,506 times
I really enjoyed Due's location at Ohio and Wabash..can't really explain how it's different, but the pizza tasted great..

Old 02-12-2014, 01:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Have to agree with you about Gulliver's. I used to go there a long time ago & after many years
went back and was disappointed. Just out of curiosity, another great deep dish used to be
My Pi (mathematical constant) that had a great pizza, are they still around?

The Mecca? Used to have the best steak sandwiches in the city (but that was a long time ago
and probably a couple of owners ago).

Mecca Supper Club
MY Pi on Clark ?
Used to live around the corner and get the tasty deep dish for pickup back during the eighties.
Was practically in love with the sweet one armed waitress who worked there.

Mecca is a place you should try again if you like friendly places.
Lots of other businesses to hop around to within walking distance as well in that area.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:40 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
DiVita's is our go-to for thin. Their stuffed is also good, but often comes a bit undercooked for my tastes, so I usually pop it in the oven for 10m or so to make sure the middle is cooked through. You know it's a real stuffed pizza when the leftovers take 25m to reheat!
I recently tried the stuffed and it's pretty good. Not the best, but better than what most mom-and-pop pizza places have to offer. I've come to the conclusion that most mom-and-pop places just suck at making stuffed pizza, even those that churn out a great thin-crust. I'm impressed enough with Di Vita's that I'd readily order both types from there to help keep a solid local pizza place in business.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condo Bob View Post
MY Pi on Clark ?
Used to live around the corner and get the tasty deep dish for pickup back during the eighties.
Was practically in love with the sweet one armed waitress who worked there.

Mecca is a place you should try again if you like friendly places.
Lots of other businesses to hop around to within walking distance as well in that area.
Oh yes, I think I remember that waitress. There were 2 My Pi's (one on Clark and one in Rogers Park)
Used to go to both.
Haven't been to the Mecca for years. Last time I went (long ago) the menu was limited but seeing
it now, it does have more to offer. I loved that place. It had the best fish, antipasto plate,
linguini with clam sauce, steak sandwiches and even a good pizza. I'm sure its a friendly place
and maybe next time we are near the area, I'll give it another try.
Also, near the train station (across from the tracks) there used to be the Snuggery. It was a small
little pub type hide -a -way but expanded. They even had a place on Rush in the 80's. I know they
are still around but moved to the building next door (even have several locations).

Old 02-12-2014, 11:28 PM

473 posts, read 757,426 times
The Edison Park Snuggery was bought out by Morretti's and is now the Dirty Martini Lounge.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:16 AM

^^^yes, I just noticed that.
btw, that was a nice apartment building and believe it or not parking was never a problem (of course that was a while
ago). The Mecca also used to have a nice little bar that had great Bloody Mary's and Dirty Martinis (with a side of
three different olives).

Old 02-13-2014, 02:25 PM

166 posts, read 257,938 times
If you want good pizza you have to head south. Palermo's on 95th street. Best pizza there is. The Palermo's Tradition

I'll tell you what, the "best pizza" in the city will NOT be in Wicker Park, Logan Square, Bucktown, Lakeview, etc. etc. Those are trendy neighborhoods with fairly new restaurants. If you want great pizza you have to go to the old joints. The mom and pop shops. not the trendy cool pizza places. Although if you want something a little more new and GREAT go to Coalfire on Grand.
Coalfire Pizza | Chicago's Original Coal Oven Pizzeria

Thats a pizza place that got it right. Then you have the classics of chicago which are all great. There can never be a single greatest ANYTHING, but there are my favorites, Lou Malnati's, Connie's Pizza, Homer Runn Inn (the original on 31st street), Ricobenes (this is a spot for a quick slice that might not be the prettiest/healthiest option but it's a damn good slice).

Old 02-14-2014, 12:53 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,174,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedCubbieBlue View Post
I'll tell you what, the "best pizza" in the city will NOT be in Wicker Park, Logan Square, Bucktown, Lakeview, etc. etc. Those are trendy neighborhoods with fairly new restaurants. If you want great pizza you have to go to the old joints. The mom and pop shops. not the trendy cool pizza places. Although if you want something a little more new and GREAT go to Coalfire on Grand.
Coalfire Pizza | Chicago's Original Coal Oven Pizzeria
There are still great pizza places in the areas you're talking about - John's Pizzeria on Western is excellent example of an old school pizza place that is still doing great business. They deliver throughout Logan Square, Bucktown, and Wicker Park. Some of the new places are also very good - Dante's is a great place.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:02 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,137,365 times
Bella's on Ashland (north of Grand) has a great thin crust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago