Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 05:02 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
And also - FYI, Wicker Park is considered to be part of West Town, as are Bucktown, Ukrainian Village, and Logan Square...
There is a West Town neighborhood as well as the community area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 08:27 AM

17 posts, read 30,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
There is a West Town neighborhood as well as the community area.
You are correct. But I believe he must be speaking of the West Town neighborhood, as he states it is close to the United Center.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:00 AM

415 posts, read 449,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid View Post
Unless you work in the loop, there really isn't a point to living there as it's really not that active at night compared to other neighborhoods. Also, without proof of secure income on top of not being a citizen - you'll probably be unable to rent anything.

That is not true. They can not discriminate against you based on your nationality. A greencard holder is a permanent legal resident with the same rights. It's not just a visa. Greencard holders do have a social security number etc. Besides that, I never had any trouble renting when I had a greencard. As long as you can show them that you are able to pay, you're good.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:37 PM

40 posts, read 52,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbanger View Post
That is not true. They can not discriminate against you based on your nationality. A greencard holder is a permanent legal resident with the same rights. It's not just a visa. Greencard holders do have a social security number etc. Besides that, I never had any trouble renting when I had a greencard. As long as you can show them that you are able to pay, you're good.
This is what i thought i don't know if he wasn't aware what a green card was? if so that kind of amazes me actually. An argument could be that a landlord should like renting to a green card member far more considering if i get into trouble = no more green card = more likely to have no probs.

As far as credit checks when you first came here did you have any trouble? i would imagine it would be neutral but i have heard some say that bad credit is worth than no credit?

James.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:16 PM

415 posts, read 449,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetimeforthekid View Post
This is what i thought i don't know if he wasn't aware what a green card was? if so that kind of amazes me actually. An argument could be that a landlord should like renting to a green card member far more considering if i get into trouble = no more green card = more likely to have no probs.

As far as credit checks when you first came here did you have any trouble? i would imagine it would be neutral but i have heard some say that bad credit is worth than no credit?

James.
I got the apartment right after I got my SSN. I obviously didn't have any credit history yet. But, I did have money to show. That was fine with them. It all depends on the manager of the property. Whatever works for them.

Thought this was interesting. Same story.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/27/ma...er-t.html?_r=1

Old 03-27-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbanger View Post
I got the apartment right after I got my SSN. I obviously didn't have any credit history yet. But, I did have money to show. That was fine with them. It all depends on the manager of the property. Whatever works for them.

Thought this was interesting. Same story.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/27/ma...er-t.html?_r=1
Where did you come from if you don't ask me asking? I did wonder if there would be any bad thoughts about me coming from Australia to a landlord but if thats the case ill just show my English passport haha.

And sighhh jungleman has so much of my money its not even funny. I might of even been that spew monkey he was referring to haha. Nice article though i wouldn't say my story is unique at least 50 people have done similar than me but jungelman has by far done much better than me/most people but he is just gifted more than i ever will be.

Poker Stars, $100/$200 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 2 Players

BTN: $51,620
Hero (BB): $57,590

Pre-Flop: K A dealt to Hero (BB)
BTN raises to $600, Hero raises to $2,200, BTN calls $1,600

Flop: ($4,400) K 8 8 (2 Players)
Hero bets $2,430, BTN calls $2,430

Turn: ($9,260) 5 (2 Players)
Hero bets $6,240, BTN calls $6,240

River: ($21,740) A (2 Players)
Hero bets $16,220, BTN raises to $40,750 and is All-In, Hero calls $24,530

Results: $103,240 Pot ($2 Rake)
BTN showed A 8 and WON $103,238 (+$51,718 NET)
Hero showed K A and LOST (-$51,420 NET)

Btn is jungelman case in point = never play jungleman.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:45 PM

113 posts, read 195,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoblue77 View Post
Lake Meadows Area, West Town & Wicker Park are greate places to start.

Lake Meadows: Really chill minutes from the gold coast and the Bears Stadium
West Town: West Downtown, easy access to the interstate, great restaurants and the United Center isn't too far aray
Wicker Park: Great Restaurants, Great night life, lot's of shops to get cool clothes, music and the sorts. A little east of down town.
Hey, Chicagoblue77...what district and beat are you assigned to?

Old 03-27-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking_Out_Loud View Post
Hey, Chicagoblue77...what district and beat are you assigned to?
I assume he is a police officer , i heard about some depaul student got beaten by police fairly recently but it could of been a while ago. Are Chicago police generally on the straight and narrow or are they somewhat dodgy? this inst directed at Chicago blue at all im just speaking on a generalization stand point .

Old 03-28-2011, 07:24 PM

68 posts, read 120,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid View Post
Unless you work in the loop, there really isn't a point to living there as it's really not that active at night compared to other neighborhoods. Also, without proof of secure income on top of not being a citizen - you'll probably be unable to rent anything.
This. Downtown isn't so hot around here. If you want some activity and the ability to get anything at night that's not a gyro, you should look into Lakeview or Wicker Park. I've personally done the Lincoln Park/Lakeview thing and I'm about to try the Wicker Park scene next. Even though I can afford DT, I took a few drives down there and can't think of a single reason to live there since I don't work there.

However, you should know that a greencard holder is practically a citizen except you can't be president or hold certain sensitive government jobs.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:33 PM

68 posts, read 120,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetimeforthekid View Post
It would be close to impossible to fake a screen shot like this as you would have to compile hundreds of thousands of hand history's as you can see i have played over 800 thousand hands only can a account holder only have access to it. Not only that but other players would never show me their database for obvious reasons especially ones that play high stakes. hold em manager only works for real money games so yes its a real money games but obviously im not stupid enough to have that amount of money sitting in an online poker account making no interest for me most of it is in the bank.

Would it make a difference to them if i had X amount in the bank? more than enough to cover 20 years of staying with them?. If not what are my other options could i have my father co sigh the lease with me? he lives in NYC he is a trader i do not know for sure but i would imagine he has very good credit and is financially secure to foot anything going bad. I had a conversation recently with my dad about how the u.s do credit and he said it is very tough when you first move there even if you have a considerable amount of money in your bank account its all about credit from what he said he wasn't even able to get a credit card when he first moved even though he had a black amex in Australia. It seems like good advice to not tell them i play poker for a living could i just say im some rich kid with all this money so i don't need a job?...

thank you for your suggestions i will look into them.

Also this is a question that wont be relevant to me for at least a decade but how is the Chicago area with schools? (pre school , high school , college) i attended a very good school and feel it has atributed to my success greatly.
This begs the question. Why don't you live in NYC?

Chicago has great educational institutions like Northwestern and U of Chicago to answer your question. But really there is no life like in NYC for someone like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago