Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 02:19 PM

3,500 posts, read 3,132,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
Can't go wrong with Gibsons. I've never had anything short of an amazing meal/time there.
Maybe we just got unlucky with our server, who seemed more interested in hustling us through our meal and turning his table over than actually providing good, friendly service. When we pointed out that he seemed to be rushing us, he actually said "We're the busiest restaurant in America, we don't play around!"
I mean, seriously, if I'm spending that kind of cabbage on a meal, I expect to be treated with a little more respect than that. That remark alone guaranteed that I will not return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 02:41 PM

438 posts, read 1,698,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Maybe we just got unlucky with our server, who seemed more interested in hustling us through our meal and turning his table over than actually providing good, friendly service. When we pointed out that he seemed to be rushing us, he actually said "We're the busiest restaurant in America, we don't play around!"
I mean, seriously, if I'm spending that kind of cabbage on a meal, I expect to be treated with a little more respect than that. That remark alone guaranteed that I will not return.
Agreed! We had an awful awful experience at Gibsons..Service was sooo bad and they screwed everything up....we will not go back

Old 03-24-2011, 04:05 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
It's almost shocking to hear that you and the poster below were rushed out. Then again I can see it happening if the place is hopping. Regardless thats a shame to hear.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:15 PM

3,500 posts, read 3,132,544 times
Trust me, I was shocked as well.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:07 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,167,681 times
Thanks, everybody!!!

Old 03-24-2011, 08:29 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
My favorite has always been the Chicago Chop House.
Also, a place that doesn't get much attention but I really like is the Kinzie Street Chop House.
For the meat itself, I really think Chicago Chop House is really good. It's touristy, and like a lot of the local steak places in River North, if you're not already a regular you get iffy seating. But the steak itself will be really good.

I also completely agree about Kinzie Chop House. I live in River North and rent out my guest bedroom to visitors, and have a standard list of recommendations for River North places. My high-end steak recommendation right now is the Chicago Cut Steakhouse because it's a different experience for visitors. You're on the River, your menu is an iPad, the steak is good, it's not your average place, so that's why I recommend it.

But my "best value downtown steak house" is Kinzie Chop House, because I think for the price you pay, you get a really nice steak, and a consistently good experience. It may not be the best, but it's still a really good place to have a nice steak.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:22 PM

22 posts, read 43,341 times
I can vouch for the iffy seating at the Chicago Chop House if you're not a regular. Food is great, but I can't justify a several hundred dollar meal while sitting in the bar area.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:19 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,512,756 times
I wouldn't eat at Chop House. I know several people that (have) work(ed) there. Rip-off city, servers are ordered to run such extensive lines of BS, seperate menus, etc.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 625 times
Stay the %$#@ away from Gene and Giorgetti's. Worst steaks, atmosphere, service in the city. Just behind it on the bottom, Chicago Chop House, with the most obscene pricing geared to gouge tourists that we have. After that, you have a big problem, because there are a ton of excellent steak places. Even the seafood places, like Joe's Seafood on Grand or Hugo's Frog Bar have incredible steaks. So, Capitol Grill, Bavette's, Mastro's, Gibson's, Rosebud Steakhouse or Prime . . . as I said, you got a problem. Even Ditka's gets rave reviews from a lot of people, and the potroast sliders are killer. Make sure to bring Lipitor and aspirin.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:06 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
Probably Mastros but prepare to pay 25-30 percent more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago