Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 10:36 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
Safety wise that area is fine, violent crime is rare. The Addison bus is right there and the blueline and and target are walkable. The best thing about that intersection is the White Castle
I also seem to recall there's a Chinese restaurant in that vicinity that advertises an all-you-can-eat buffet. I've only noticed it in passing and can't even remember the name of the place right now. Has anyone here ever eaten there and can you tell me if it's any good? Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 10:55 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I also seem to recall there's a Chinese restaurant in that vicinity that advertises an all-you-can-eat buffet. I've only noticed it in passing and can't even remember the name of the place right now. Has anyone here ever eaten there and can you tell me if it's any good? Just wondering.
It's actually not bad. Worth trying it out. You are better off spending a little extram money and going to Chief O'Neils sunday buffet. That is high quality and absolutely delicious. The China Buffet is nothing special, it's not bad but it's not that good either.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:58 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,956 times
Yeah Christina's Place gets good afterhours, that's the only time I go. It's ritual. Well let me tell you I have had some crazy stories from that place. I actually don't like it, but it's one of those places you just end up and laugh about the next day.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
It's called New China Buffet and I found it to be pretty average. It's definitely not on my restaurant rotation list. I'm actually having a hard time finding a Chinese buffet around here that I really like.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:44 PM

483 posts, read 1,222,060 times
Yeah, that New China Buffet (and all of them) is nothing special. It always seems to me that the gas station there (Addison/Kedzie/Elston), I think it's a BP, is one of the most expensive in the city. I am still convinced that the BP across from the (old) Cabinet World on North, just west of Elston, is the most expensive in the city. It always seems to be like 30 cents higher than other gas stations. Sorry, kind of went off on a tangent. But, you don't have any reason to worry at the location you questioned about.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:50 PM

To follow your tangent... if you want to see an inexplicably expensive gas station, check out the Shell on the corner of Irving and Pulaski. It's usually about 25 to 30 cents a gallon higher than the Marathon right across the street from it. I have no idea how that station stays in business, and I'm dumbfounded whenever I see some jamoke there filling up.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:56 PM

483 posts, read 1,222,060 times
Ugh, I hate that Shell. The only time I went in there was to get some tobacco products and a drink, and even those were ridiculously overpriced. Never went there again.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:56 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I've seen much more divey places than Christine's. It's actually halfway civilized, though one can't always say the same thing about the clientele after 2am. In any case, I'd probably spend more time there if it weren't cash-only.

Welcome to the neighborhood jdiddy. We're, like, almost neighbors & stuff now.
Thanks!

If I'm ever at the bar and overhear a conversation from a guy with an encylopedic knowledge of the city, I'll be sure to stop by and say hi.

But I'm really glad we found the place we did and made the move. From a convenience standpoint, this neighborhood is hard to beat. I missed the blue line.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:58 AM

537 posts, read 1,034,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
To follow your tangent... if you want to see an inexplicably expensive gas station, check out the Shell on the corner of Irving and Pulaski. It's usually about 25 to 30 cents a gallon higher than the Marathon right across the street from it. I have no idea how that station stays in business, and I'm dumbfounded whenever I see some jamoke there filling up.

It's right off the Kennedy I'm guessing they've done some research and realize they can get extra money from those desparate for gas.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
It's right off the Kennedy I'm guessing they've done some research and realize they can get extra money from those desparate for gas.
That might make more sense if there weren't another gas station literally right across the street constantly undercutting them by 25 to 30 cents a gallon. Even if there weren't one right across the street, it's not like there's a shortage of gas stations around here where you couldn't just say "eff that" and roam around the neighborhood until you find one that isn't outrageously priced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago